What is Morgan Rielly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What is Morgan Rielly

• Elite #1 d-man - worth 10 million+ in market value

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Average #1 d-man - worth 9 million + in market value

Votes: 41 12.7%
  • Below average #1 d-man - worth 6-8+ million in market value

Votes: 67 20.7%
  • Elite #2 d-man - worth 6--7.5 million + in market value

Votes: 51 15.8%
  • Average 2 d-man - worth 6-7 million in market value

Votes: 61 18.9%
  • Below average #2 d-man - worth 5.25 - 6 + million in market value

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • Elite #3 d-man - worth 5 - 6 million in market value

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Average #3 d-man - worth 5 or so million in market value

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • flawed #3 d-man - worth 4-5 million in market value

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • #4 d-man - worth 3.0 -4.0 million in market value

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • #5 d-man - worth 1.5-3 million in market value

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • #6 d-man - worth 1-2 million in market value

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #7 Tyson Barrie type d-man, don't even want him in the top 6.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
13-2-1 without Rielly in the lineup.

It’s funny that we have our best defensive games when our “1D” isn’t playing.

This is no coincidence. Whenever Goldenboy has been injured and out of the lineup in previous years the team has excelled. It is just so obvious how detrimental he is to the team. People don’t like plus/minus but when the entire D core has a very high plus rating while Rielly is the only minus player w a -5 something ain’t right. There is absolutely no reason Rielly should be playing the most minutes, especially against tough competition.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
13-2-1 without Rielly in the lineup.

It’s funny that we have our best defensive games when our “1D” isn’t playing.

It was not a better defensive game than against islanders, it was just a game Murray step up...

leafs had a better first 40 vs islanders than against panthers... The difference was Murray made key save, Samsonov didn't ( dont think he was really focus in this game). So unstead of trailing but 2 after 2, they get a 2 goal lead after 2...

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
It was not a better defensive game than against islanders, it was just a game Murray step up...

leafs had a better first 40 vs islanders than against panthers... The difference was Murray made key save, Samsonov didn't ( dont think he was really focus in this game). So unstead of trailing but 2 after 2, they get a 2 goal lead after 2...

No matter how you slice it the Leafs are unstoppable when Rielly is not in the lineup. Their .900 winning record without him this year is not a small sample size.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
No matter how you slice it the Leafs are unstoppable when Rielly is not in the lineup. Their .900 winning record without him this year is not a small sample size.

Or just telling player working harder during 60 unstead on 20/40 min to overcome his lost... can go both way

Its kindnof thing we seeing a lot around NHL, a team losing a big name... everyone expecting they will fall but they became even better without this key player.

Exemple Boston without marchand AND Mcavoy at the beggining of seasom was winning at higher rate than the rest of season. Do that mean they are better without both?

Since horvat, chychrun, kane... Vancouver, arizona and chicago won at higher rate, do that mean they are a better team without those player or just player around just step up their game?

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
If I had to choose between Rielly and Winnie the Pooh, I'd choose Winnie as a number one dman. Same belligerence and testosterone, but Winnie would play better defensive game.
Now that might work because we've already got Eeyore as coach.
il_794xN.3802664324_4d0b.jpg

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
You guys would blow your lid if you saw our record without Matthews. Guess we should ship him out too. Maybe package Matthews and Reilly together and save 18-19mil in cap? 🫢

Why don’t you post the team’s record with and without Matthews? I guarantee there wouldn’t be such a drastic difference compared to the record without Rielly.

Nevertheless, Matthews is an elite scorer and one of the best players in the game and has the numbers to back it up. Meanwhile Rielly is one of the worst defensive players in the league with probably the worst GA in the entire NHL over the last several years. He doesn’t bring much offensively either especially considering he is gifted PP minutes despite barely contributing anything other than secondary assists. He is also always on the ice with the teams top offensive players yet he is the only minus D on the team. The guy is just a terrible defenceman overall and a black hole.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Why don’t you post the team’s record with and without Matthews? I guarantee there wouldn’t be such a drastic difference compared to the record without Rielly.

Nevertheless, Matthews is an elite scorer and one of the best players in the game and has the numbers to back it up. Meanwhile Rielly is one of the worst defensive players in the league with probably the worst GA in the entire NHL over the last several years. He doesn’t bring much offensively either especially considering he is gifted PP minutes despite barely contributing anything other than secondary assists. He is also always on the ice with the teams top offensive players yet he is the only minus D on the team. The guy is just a terrible defenceman overall and a black hole.
33-16-2

Reilly is one of the best offensive Dmen of his generation. Check the numbers for yourself.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
If I had to choose between Rielly and Winnie the Pooh, I'd choose Winnie as a number one dman. Same belligerence and testosterone, but Winnie would play better defensive game.
As long as Piglet is his wingman.

You guys would blow your lid if you saw our record without Matthews. Guess we should ship him out too. Maybe package Matthews and Reilly together and save 18-19mil in cap? 🫢
I'm all for it. Get players with some grit.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So I thought he would surely be a top 4 defenseman for us at least through most of the contract and he took less to sign with us but damn the defensive limitations of the guy and the fact is he's not that dynamic offensively either. No shot like a Krug, Karlsson or even Ghost.

He does pass to some amazing forwards which helps you collect the apples.

That's not to say Rielly is shit but Maybe I value him closer to 4-5M than I would 7.5M.

This year especially the defensive warts have been apparent and I thought the group collectively looked better without him in the line up.

When Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie all went down I figured that Muzzin wasn't coming back. I also figuered that Brodie could be re-incorporated into the line up without messing our defensive cohesion.

I was a little weary about Rielly coming into the line up and felt we looked worse defensively with him.

I'd like to get out of the deal if we can, Nashville traded Ekholm in the 1st year into the new contract so why can't we?

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
33-16-2

Reilly is one of the best offensive Dmen of his generation. Check the numbers for yourself.

So the team’s record without Matthews is nowhere near as good as without Rielly.

Tyson Barrie has averaged more PPG than Rielly over his career. Rielly is nowhere near being one of the best offensive defenceman over the last decade. Plus his abysmal play defensively negates what little he brings offensively. The guy can’t even QB a PP.

Reactions: geo25 and klmdg

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
So the team’s record without Matthews is nowhere near as good as without Rielly.

Tyson Barrie has averaged more PPG than Rielly over his career. Rielly is nowhere near being one of the best offensive defenceman over the last decade. Plus his abysmal play defensively negates what little he brings offensively. The guy can’t even QB a PP.
He’s 13th in points among Dmen since coming into the league.

For the record the leafs overall are 36-18-7 without Morgan. Very similar to matthews. Point is the metrics are pointless, and you’re grasping at straws.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So I thought he would surely be a top 4 defenseman for us at least through most of the contract and he took less to sign with us but damn the defensive limitations of the guy and the fact is he's not that dynamic offensively either. No shot like a Krug, Karlsson or even Ghost.

He does pass to some amazing forwards which helps you collect the apples.

That's not to say Rielly is shit but Maybe I value him closer to 4-5M than I would 7.5M.

This year especially the defensive warts have been apparent and I thought the group collectively looked better without him in the line up.

When Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie all went down I figured that Muzzin wasn't coming back. I also figuered that Brodie could be re-incorporated into the line up without messing our defensive cohesion.

I was a little weary about Rielly coming into the line up and felt we looked worse defensively with him.

I'd like to get out of the deal if we can, Nashville traded Ekholm in the 1st year into the new contract so why can't we?
Ekholm apparently lacked any form of trade veto?

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
He’s 13th in points among Dmen since coming into the league.

For the record the leafs overall are 36-18-7 without Morgan. Very similar to matthews. Point is the metrics are pointless, and you’re grasping at straws.

13th is not considered generational in anyone’s mind, you are delusional to think he is some kind of legend.

There is no debate Matthews is an elite talent so your comparison is ridiculous.

The team bleeds goals when Rielly is on the ice, he is atrocious defensively and there is really no debate about this either.

Reactions: geo25 and klmdg

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He did.

The Leafs would need to accommodate Rielly on it or he could dig in his heels if he truly wanted to.
For sure. I was intending to suggest that clause - or lack thereof - potentially being the difference. Ekholm couldn't have blocked that trade whether he wished to or not whereas Rielly can veto almost anything for quite some time.

Nashville trading Ekholm was also one in a series of moves indicative of a retool or rebuilding of the roster.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
For sure. I was intending to suggest that clause - or lack thereof - potentially being the difference. Ekholm couldn't have blocked that trade whether he wished to or not whereas Rielly can veto almost anything for quite some time.

At a guess on where he'd waive for?

Vancouver
Los Angeles
New York (Rangers)
Florida (Tax savings)
Dallas (Tax Savings)
Colorado (Contender)
Vegas (Tax Savings)

Speculation on my part though, only ones I feel 100% on are Vancouver and LAK, he and Doughty are apparently friends.

Reactions: geo25 and Buds17

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
13th is not considered generational in anyone’s mind, you are delusional to think he is some kind of legend.

There is no debate Matthews is an elite talent so your comparison is ridiculous.

The team bleeds goals when Rielly is on the ice, he is atrocious defensively and there is really no debate about this either.
I never said he was generational, reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit.

My comparison was to show how ridiculous it is to state a teams record without a player and assume that is directly attributable to their absence.

Stop mischaracterizing my argument.

Reactions: thusk

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
McCabe-Liljegren and Gio-Brodie should play the majority of the game 5 on 5. Rielly-Schenn should be sheltered with Schenn getting P.K time and Rielly getting P.P time. But I wouldn’t even mind if Rielly is at 17-18 minutes a game with 5-6 of those minutes on the P.P. The top 4 guys will have to eat a lot of minutes, like 23+ minutes. This is how I see it until Rielly learns to play defence. Which I don’t think he ever will.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Nobody is moving Rielly. He is a part of new Muskoka country club. Current management have consistently shown inability to provide team discipline and confront millionaires. The inmates are running the asylum now.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Garbage

McCabe-Liljegren and Gio-Brodie should play the majority of the game 5 on 5. Rielly-Schenn should be sheltered with Schenn getting P.K time and Rielly getting P.P time. But I wouldn’t even mind if Rielly is at 17-18 minutes a game with 5-6 of those minutes on the P.P. The top 4 guys will have to eat a lot of minutes, like 23+ minutes. This is how I see it until Rielly learns to play defence. Which I don’t think he ever will.
The man isn’t even that great on the PP

Reactions: klmdg

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Trading Reilly (if he goes for it) and getting an actual #1 d with that money sounds great to me. Anyone out there this off season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad