Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
All depend what you can have in return probably the only 2 goalies I will be agree to trade Byram are Carter Hart and Spencer Knight but i don't think any of Philly and Florida want to give these 2 goalies

If I'm moving Byram, I want a comparable RHD prospect on his ELC (Seider/Drysdale/etc). There isn't a single goalie who even get me to consider it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I disagree. He doesn't suck and he has potential but all cup winners are strong in many areas these days and most who have won (besides the Pens) are top notch in goaltending and team D. Offense is important yes but you won't go far with offense alone. Avs team D don't stuck either but it's not a team strength.

Oilers are in the same boat with the Avs. I think the Leafs are as well but their team D is better IMO.
Kuemper is a better regular season goalie than Price. He’s younger, doesn’t have serious addiction issues, isn’t coming off knee surgery and isn’t due $10.5mm per year for another 4.5 seasons. Ouch.

he’s an easy choice to be the 1G. Price won’t even be on the Avs radar. He’s not on anyones radar.

It’s MAF that’s far more Interesting to the Avs, Oil and others in the event a team makes a goalie move, which the Avs don’t need to nor should make.

Avs backup is also excellent when healthy.

Avs are having a very good season so far, even thru a brutal hand of injuries and covid. Will be in first place if they win their games in hand. They don’t need to make any moves at present. It’s a very strong roster with no obvious flaws.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
His numbers have been effected by the team in front of him. Our teams have sucked for 5 years. He carried last postseason. You can sit here pretending your goalie carousel is somehow better then getting several years out of big game goalie with retention when you have a window on MacKinnon’s $6 million contract but you’re dreaming. Waste the prime of MacKinnon on a dream contract for all I care. We will stick Price on LTIR if it comes to that. I doubt GM’s see it the same way as you. They will find a way to make it work if they think it’s beneficial and Avs fans should be thankful you’re nowhere near team decisions.
The refs not calling penalties like cross checking carried the Habs, NYI and Vegas as far as they went. Habs had a big D that was able to limit chances simply by cross crossing time and again. Was about as boring as watching paint dry and forced the NHL to enforce their rule book.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The refs not calling penalties like cross checking carried the Habs, NYI and Vegas as far as they went. Habs had a big D that was able to limit chances simply by cross crossing time and again. Was about as boring as watching paint dry and forced the NHL to enforce their rule book.

Yeah, the Habs won three rounds because the refs weren’t calling cross checks. Give your head a shake.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah, the Habs won three rounds because the refs weren’t calling cross checks. Give your head a shake.
They won a few playoff games because Weber and Co cross checked and cheated their way to D zone puck possession with an easy two hand smash to the opponent. It’s very easy to play NHL defense when you can use your stick as liberally as the NhL refs allowed. Takes virtually no skill to cross check. Just size, power and a bad ref. Habs had the advantage of those three in spades in the playoffs. So did Vegas and the NYI.

The too many missed calls and embarrassing officiating Forced the NHL to enforce their rule book this season.

not much of a surprise the Habs and NYI suck this year as they struggle to adjust. It’s harder when you can’t routinely cheat.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They won a few playoff games because Weber and Co cross checked and cheated their way to D zone puck possession with an easy two hand smash to the opponent. It’s very easy to play NHL defense when you can use your stick as liberally as the NhL refs allowed. Takes virtually no skill to cross check. Just size, power and a bad ref. Habs had the advantage of those three in spades in the playoffs. So did Vegas and the NYI.

The too many missed calls and embarrassing officiating Forced the NHL to enforce their rule book this season.

Tell your team to follow our trend. You might make it past the second round if you do.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You guys may get the second overall pick doing it your way. And No one remembers who lost the Stanley Cup.

You seem to remember not only our run, but what the ref’s were doing in every one of our series so you’re contradicting yourself saying no one remembers. It’s not our fault our team beat a team yours couldn’t and went two rounds farther then yours in an off year.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You seem to remember not only our run, but what the ref’s were doing in every one of our series so you’re contradicting yourself saying no one remembers. It’s not our fault our team beat a team yours couldn’t and went two rounds farther in an off year.
I remember being bored out of my mind watching those dump and chase fests until MAF gave away the series. That part was amusing. Other than that, it was Dead Puck era hockey. Lots of holding, clutch, grab and cross check.

Habs put on a very boring show. Ratings reflected the hack fest. Wasn’t a sustainable way to win this season with refs calling the obvious penalties again.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
To Colorado
Allen, Drouin 50%retained, Kulak, Perreault

To Mtl
Girard, Jost

Avs get 1B goalie & Drouin @2.75M for this year & next, plus depth LD & bottom 6 fwd vet both with expiring contracts.

Habs fill PMD need & versatile Jost who will get ample shot at earning a top 6 role.

teoberto

Mar 13, 2021
To Colorado

To Mtl
Girard, Jost

Avs get 1B goalie & Drouin @2.75M for this year & next, plus depth LD & bottom 6 fwd vet both with expiring contracts.

Habs fill PMD need & versatile Jost who will get ample shot at earning a top 6 role.
That package is OK for Jost but it does not get even close to Girard’s value

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
To Colorado

To Mtl
Girard, Jost

I’d rather keep Girard and roll with Francouz

Reactions: flyfysher

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I’d rather keep Girard and roll with Francouz

Fair. Question is whether Sakic wants to waste another year of Mackinnon's great cap cost... if he doesn't, improving in nets will need to happen & will cost assets one way or another

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That package is OK for Jost but it does not get even close to Girard’s value

Meh... Jost has very little value, dime a dozen bottom 6 Nhler with some upside potential. Doesn't get you Allen or Drouin @2.75M.

Is Girard worth more than the rest? Maybe... but what he brings is also redundant for the Avs, especially come playoffs or next offseason

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Meh... Jost has very little value, dime a dozen bottom 6 Nhler with some upside potential. Doesn't get you Allen or Drouin @2.75M.

Is Girard worth more than the rest? Maybe... but what he brings is also redundant for the Avs, especially come playoffs or next offseason
Girard has been excellent so far this year. I don't wanna give up on him especially with the great contract he is on because of one or two bad playoffs runs. People forget that he is still 23 years old. Trading Girard with Byram's health issue would be a terrible mistake. I think if they play him with Toews or EJ he will be fine.

Either way if the Avs trade for a goalie it will be for cheap 3rd string goalie IMO. Kuemper has been looking good lately. Hoping that Francouz's injuries doesn't come back to have him as our backup.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Girard has been excellent so far this year. I don't wanna give up on him especially with the great contract he is on because of one or two bad playoffs runs. People forget that he is still 23 years old. Trading Girard with Byram's health issue would be a terrible mistake. I think if they play him with Toews or EJ he will be fine.

Either way if the Avs trade for a goalie it will be for cheap 3rd string goalie IMO. Kuemper has been looking good lately. Hoping that Francouz's injuries doesn't come back to have him as our backup.

Fair enough...

If I'm Sakic, I think I'd be a bit more aggressive in upgrading the key roster needs to try to contend this year & next rather than hope Kuemper/Francouz holds up & the secondary scoring doesn't run dry come playoffs... Mac's contract screams "win now" imo.

Reactions: Spilot23

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Fair enough...

If I'm Sakic, I think I'd be a bit more aggressive in upgrading the key roster needs to try to contend this year rather than hope Kuemper/Francouz holds up & the secondary scoring doesn't run dry come playoffs... Mac's contract screams "win now" imo.
Yeah hopefully Kuemper doesn't sh** the bed comes the playoffs because trading a 1st + Timmins (who was good bottom pairing with potential) leaves us with somehow not much in trading pieces for a better goalie. This offseason I wonder what was Gibson's value for a trade but I think Byram or Newhook would've been asked which is too rich for the Avs. Maybe they will look for Quick if Francouz is hurt again? That would be a good backup plan IMO.

Reactions: flyfysher

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Fair enough...

If I'm Sakic, I think I'd be a bit more aggressive in upgrading the key roster needs to try to contend this year & next rather than hope Kuemper/Francouz holds up & the secondary scoring doesn't run dry come playoffs... Mac's contract screams "win now" imo.

You think Jake Allen in the answer to that? The guy that choked in every big game he's played in?

...interesting.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Oh so because Girard is redundant to the Avs(In your words), we should trade him to Montreal for literal pennies on the dollar.

What the f*** is this garbage. If Girard was available the other 30 teams in the league beat this offer in an insant.

Reactions: McJedi

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In what world is Jake Allen an upgrade on our goaltending :laugh:

Well I don't think they're looking at a superstar tier goalie. They probably want a goalie who has some experience as an insurance policy just in case Kuemper is hurt. If Dallas falls out of the hunt, I think Holtby would be someone they'd be interested in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad