Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He want good the year they won the cup though, he lost his job to Grubauer is the regular season.
That was largely because Mitch Korn took a step back from the team. They dragged Korn back out of semi-retirement to fix Holtby in the spring, and it worked in time for him to get the starting job back and dominate in the playoffs. While that season was the start of Holtby's decline, his time with Korn was largely spent being an elite goaltender and his playoff performance wasn't a flash-in-the-pan in the context of his career in Washington. He had been both a dominant regular season and playoff goalie before (although faced with the misfortune of playing against prime Henrik Lundqvist and behind a Caps squad that would be shut out in key decision playoff games).

Also, Grubauer isn't exactly a scrub (in spire of what his early season performance in Seattle may have been).

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You don't pay a 1st rounder only to bail at the 18 game mark. Kuemper is a career .916. Considering the Avs are one of the better teams at limiting high danger chances, I expect he'll give us at least something around that the rest of the season which is fine. We'll definitely add a 3G at some point. That won't cost much. That's about it. Next offseason could be interesting though depending on what happens in the playoffs.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
We are going to roll with Kuemper and Francouz. If or when one of them gets hurt before the trade deadline then Sakic will look to make a move.

I see MAF as the main target. I would love Price but the only way that works is if we pay for the Habs or another team to eat the money. Not likely to happen.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nothing right now.

Kuemper is playing "good enough" for us to win a lot of games at the moment. I do agree it's not good enough to win come playoff time as of right now.

But still another 3 months until the deadline. We'll keep going with what we have right now and if Kuemper doesn't show more over the next 3 months maybe they look at someone else at the deadline.

It's also worth noting Francouz is healthy and now back with the Avs. He put up phenomenal numbers in the AHL and if he's truly healthy from his surgery, I think he's going to push Kuemper hard for that starting spot.

So ya, just wait and see for now. It's nice having an offense that can score 4+ goals a game right now, makes it a lot easier to be patient.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
There are always exceptions to the rule but the exception is not the rule. And almost all those teams won cups with a very good team D. Avs are allowing 3.36 goals/game which ranks 26th. A cheap goalie who plays hot can't shelter that.

But if that is the Avs plan, all the power to them. Good luck. I don't think the Avs win two cups without Roy back when and with Thibault.

Without Vasi, the Habs have a shot at beating Tampa. Tampa beat us with better goaltending, depth and team D. Their offensive stars were contained.... even their deadly PP.
Maybe watch an Avs game or two? They are at the top of the league at pretty much all defensive metrics. I just love guys coming in not knowing shit about the Avalanche continuing to spew crap about team defense. They are elite at preventing high danger chances and are getting 2nd worst goaltending in the league.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe watch an Avs game or two? They are at the top of the league at pretty much all defensive metrics. I just love guys coming in not knowing shit about the Avalanche continuing to spew crap about team defense. They are elite at preventing high danger chances and are getting 2nd worst goaltending in the league.

I do watch the Avs play but not every game. Avs are a puck possession team and their D likes to join the rush a lot. They do hit you with offense and it's dangerous. However, I don't consider the Avs a defensively strong team. Vegas showed how grit and structure can beat them.

Avs to me need a very good goalie to give them an extra edge. That's how I see it but I'm going to talk to the Oilers first with Price.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As an Avs fan, I applaud your move. Avs can’t afford Price.

I think the Avs have to figure it out. If not Price at 50% retention ($5.25M), they got to get a game changer type they can rely on during this core contending years. Maybe things get better when the cap rises in 2+ years but then you got to re-sign MacKinnon. He is on record at saying he will provide a discount though.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I think the Avs have to figure it out. If not Price at 50% retention ($5.25M), they got to get a game changer type they can rely on during this core contending years. Maybe things get better when the cap rises in 2+ years but then you got to re-sign MacKinnon. He is on record at saying he will provide a discount though.

It isn’t that Price couldn’t put the Avs over the hump. Sakic is extremely careful in terms of managing the cap. Price’s contract simply is not going to fit under the Avs cap structure. That’s no slam to Price and his abilities. I’d rather select Quick or MAF if necessary. Thanks though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It isn’t that Price couldn’t put the Avs over the hump. Sakic is extremely careful in terms of managing the cap. Price’s contract simply is not going to fit under the Avs cap structure. That’s no slam to Price and his abilities. I’d rather select Quick or MAF if necessary. Thanks though.

Price at 50% retention still don't work? If the Avs can't avoid a $5M-$6M goalie, they are not winning a cup with their current core. I agree Sakic is careful and I think he is a very good GM but I also think he knows he needs a stable goalie and someone better than just good.

I'm assuming your worried about Price's health? I totally understand that but I also doubt you will find a goalie with his ability and a cap hit for $5.25M either. Anderson was your chance IMO.. he is a good goalie and I knew he would resurface somewhere else.

If not Price, good luck! I think we both understand that the Avs need an improvement in net one way or another

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Price at 50% retention still don't work? If the Avs can't avoid a $5M-$6M goalie, they are not winning a cup with their current core. I agree Sakic is careful and I think he is a solid GM but I also think he knows he needs a stable goalie and someone better than just good.

Given Price’s age and condition, it’s too pricey. Let me make it absolutely unequivocally crystal clear for you. No to Price for now unless something drastically changes. I just don’t see a fit at that cost.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Given Price’s age and condition, it’s too pricey. Let me make it absolutely unequivocally crystal clear for you. No to Price for now unless something drastically changes. I just don’t see a fit at that cost.

I already know the Avs are not interested in Price. We are just chit chatting that if it's not Price, you need someone better than just good. Trying to win with cheap bargain bin goalies during contending years is risky IMO. Need to figure that out

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I already know the Avs are not interested in Price. We are just chit chatting that if it's not Price, you need someone better than just good. Trying to win with cheap bargain bin goalies during contending years is risky IMO. Need to figure that out

Well Quick and Fleury won a SC so they do have that experience. For cheap as a 3G, I’d be fine with that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well Quick and Fleury won a SC so they do have that experience. For cheap as a 3G, I’d be fine with that.

Fleury is 38 next year which is the same age of Price in his last year of his contract. Quick is soon to be 36. I think Price has better value at 50% and yeah, only traded after he plays games again.

When each of them are at their best, Price is the best goalie.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Kuemper isn’t exactly a bargain bin goalie. He simply hasn’t performed well during this regular season. It might turn around for him though. The Avs bigger need is at backup/depth at G. I’d expect something like Korpisalo.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kuemper isn’t exactly a bargain bin goalie. He simply hasn’t performed well during this regular season. It might turn around for him though. The Avs bigger need is at backup/depth at G. I’d expect something like Korpisalo.

Avs prerogative. I think you need better but that's only my opinion. So I'll repeat, if not Price, you need someone better than just good

Price to me at 50% retention is a opportunity, not a liability

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Avs prerogative. I think you need better but that's only my opinion. So I'll repeat, if not Price, you need someone better than just good

Price to me at 50% retention is a opportunity, not a liability

That’s a pretty sketchy conclusion given Price’s recent history. You’re a Habs fan so your opinion should be discounted. I literally can’t recall a single Avs fan calling out to acquire Price much less at this cost.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That’s a pretty sketchy conclusion given Price’s recent history. You’re a Habs fan so your opinion should be discounted. I literally can’t recall a single Avs fan calling out to acquire Price much less at this cost.

I don't consider it sketchy. Think of it this way... lets say bot Quick and Price are pending UFA's and Price plans from Jan-end of the season and is healthy again. Avs call Price and he says he wants 3/4 years at $5.25M. You going to decline and sign Quick for $4M instead?

I get it. You have concerns on Price. I'm not ignoring it but we know what we are trading and we know the edge he Provides

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I don't consider it sketchy. Think of it this way... lets say bot Quick and Price are pending UFA's and Price plans from Jan-end of the season and is healthy again. Avs call Price and he says he wants 3/4 years at $5.25M. You going to decline and sign Quick for $4M instead?

I get it. You have concerns on Price. I'm not ignoring it but we know what we are trading and we know the edge he Provides

You’re too biased as to Price and you’re not aware of it.

Reactions: Snowman

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I don't believe so. If I was bias, My price would be higher than futures not turned pro yet.

Then never the two shall meet. Can you please drop this proposal? We are not at all interested in trading for Price. Keep him and enjoy his abilities while you can. Thanks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Then never the two shall meet. Can you please drop this proposal? We are not at all interested in trading for Price. Keep him and enjoy his abilities while you can. Thanks.

I have dropped it. Our latest chat is if not Price, you need someone better than just good. Then you say I'm bias on Price and I'm not allowed to defend that? Come on man

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I have dropped it. Our latest chat is if not Price, you need someone better than just good. Then you say I'm bias on Price and I'm not allowed to defend that? Come on man

The Avs apparently disagree with your assessment and want to see what they have in Kuemper and Francouz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad