Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seems to be a concern of non-Avs fans more than anything.
This is nothing new for HFAvs, which is why I don't know why they insist on engaging so aggressively

I don't think non Avs fans are reaching here. As a contender, you need to improve the weak parts to give you an edge. Trying to win with cheap hot goalies in the playoffs does risk contending core years.

I have no doubt Sakic is going to try. What moves he makes is guess work

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Isn't Price not playing now? Aves could have 15M in goalies going into the playoffs with none of them ready to play.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't think non Avs fans are reaching here. As a contender, you need to improve the weak parts to give you an edge. Trying to win with cheap hot goalies in the playoffs does risk contending core years.

I have no doubt Sakic is going to try. What moves he makes is guess work

But you were asking the purpose of this thread in response to a poster who stated (and as evidenced) that Sakic is not likely concerned this year and willing to see what Kuemper-Francouz duo can be.

He made his trade to address the Goaltending, and if Sakic has proven anything, it is that he is not reactionary, especially with players he specifically brings in.

You just keep insisting to the fanbase that is likely more informed, that Sakic will make a move when that is unlikely until he sees how his current approach plays out.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
A lot of people talk about Carey Price but his contract term is too much for Colorado.
It will maybe the time to Sakic to look value of Bowen Byram. Byram got 3 concussions in last 2 years. Can Colorado bet to keep him and trade a guy like Girard ? NO
Sakic need to hope that Byram play and stay healthy in January and try to move him for the best goalie on market with good term.
I'm a Byram fans but his concussions scared me for the rest of his career.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
A lot of people talk about Carey Price but his contract term is too much for Colorado.
It will maybe the time to Sakic to look value of Bowen Byram. Byram got 3 concussions in last 2 years. Can Colorado bet to keep him and trade a guy like Girard ? NO
Sakic need to hope that Byram play and stay healthy in January and try to move him for the best goalie on market with good term.
I'm a Byram fans but his concussions scared me for the rest of his career.

Yes, Byram does have injury concerns, but he's still a potential elite 1D on his ELC, and you don't trade potential elite 1Ds on ELCs for a goalie, I don't care who it is.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Price at 50% retention still don't work? If the Avs can't avoid a $5M-$6M goalie, they are not winning a cup with their current core. I agree Sakic is careful and I think he is a very good GM but I also think he knows he needs a stable goalie and someone better than just good.

I'm assuming your worried about Price's health? I totally understand that but I also doubt you will find a goalie with his ability and a cap hit for $5.25M either. Anderson was your chance IMO.. he is a good goalie and I knew he would resurface somewhere else.

If not Price, good luck! I think we both understand that the Avs need an improvement in net one way or another

Kuemper is the most likely long term goalie for the Avs and he’s certainly good enough to win a Cup or three on this team.

Reactions: flyfysher

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
One of the worst proposals I've ever seen on this site

Habs are stuck with that Price boat anchor. Expecting teams to take it off your hands and give you premium assets is delusional.

I remember Avs fans many years ago saying Habs fans were crazy if we thought the Avs were going to be stupid enough to take “$6 million dollar Jose Theodore.” We weren’t so crazy when it happened. Not saying the proposal you quoted was realistic, but never say never. GM’s don’t think like the posters on this board.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Hopefully the Avs invest in developing Justus and bring in a few high profile goalie prospects so in a few years they have an internally developed goalie pipeline that can support the 2nd phase of the team's contention. For now it is what it is unless they can get lightning in a bottle with a trade/signing like a Ned or Andersen type. Trading for Kemps was proof enough that big trades are risky for goalies.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Hopefully the Avs invest in developing Justus and bring in a few high profile goalie prospects so in a few years they have an internally developed goalie pipeline that can support the 2nd phase of the team's contention. For now it is what it is unless they can get lightning in a bottle with a trade/signing like a Ned or Andersen type. Trading for Kemps was proof enough that big trades are risky for goalies.

A goalie and D pipeline and the ability to draft 1Cs and develop everyone properly, all while cost controlled. That's all I want. That and players with skill, the ability to skate well, hockey IQ, 2 way ability and no injuries. Is that asking too much?:rolleyes:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I remember Avs fans many years ago saying Habs fans were crazy if we thought the Avs were going to be stupid enough to take “$6 million dollar Jose Theodore.” We weren’t so crazy when it happened. Not saying the proposal you quoted was realistic, but never say never. GM’s don’t think like the posters on this board.

Remind us again what the return for $5.3m Theodore was? Because I remember it being one David Aebischer. So, it was a straight upgrade for the Avs and only really cost them cap space for 2 years. Not really crazy at all, compared to what's being suggested.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

What did you get for Jose Theodore?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kuemper is the most likely long term goalie for the Avs and he’s certainly good enough to win a Cup or three on this team.

I disagree. He doesn't suck and he has potential but all cup winners are strong in many areas these days and most who have won (besides the Pens) are top notch in goaltending and team D. Offense is important yes but you won't go far with offense alone. Avs team D don't stuck either but it's not a team strength.

Oilers are in the same boat with the Avs. I think the Leafs are as well but their team D is better IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Isn't Price not playing now? Aves could have 15M in goalies going into the playoffs with none of them ready to play.

A very small amount of people think the Habs can trade Price at full cap hit. So no, it's not $15M in goalies and a lot of Habs fans are willing to retain up to 50% and also take back 1/2 cap dumps. That's how we get the best futures return we can get. It's not a unreasonable approach.

Habs can take back whatever 1/2 year contracts any team wants to send back as well as us retaining on Price (up to 50% depending on the futures return we get). That's the majority of conversations going on in case you didn't notice

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Remind us again what the return for $5.3m Theodore was? Because I remember it being one David Aebischer. So, it was a straight upgrade for the Avs and only really cost them cap space for 2 years. Not really crazy at all, compared to what's being suggested.
What did you get for Jose Theodore?
The return is irrelevant to my point. But Theodore was hardly an upgrade on Aeibischer and you’re over exaggerating how long is left of Price’s contract to the 2 years Theo had. I was responding to a poster saying we’re stuck with that boat anchor no matter what. I gave an example that was fairly recent between the two teams in question where it did happen. Most of the value in a Price trade is having him away from our team to ruin a tank so a cap dump return like a David Aebischer isn’t out of the question.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The return is irrelevant to my point. But Theodore was hardly an upgrade on Aeibischer and you’re over exaggerating how long is left of Price’s contracts to the 2 years Theo had. I was responding to a poster saying we’re stuck with that boat anchor no matter what. I have an example that was fairly recent between the two teams in question where it did happen. Most of the value in a Price trade is having him away from our team to ruin a tank so a cap dump return like a David Aebischer isn’t out of the question.

Aebischer was out of the league shortly after that trade. Of course the return matters. Or else you can just never play Price if you don't want him to ruin the tank.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The return is irrelevant to my point. But Theodore was hardly an upgrade on Aeibischer and you’re over exaggerating how long is left of Price’s contract to the 2 years Theo had. I was responding to a poster saying we’re stuck with that boat anchor no matter what. I gave an example that was fairly recent between the two teams in question where it did happen. Most of the value in a Price trade is having him away from our team to ruin a tank so a cap dump return like a David Aebischer isn’t out of the question.

Price's 4 years is twice as long as Theodore's 2 years. 2 extra years is 2 extra years. How am I "over exaggerating" this basic fact?

I also don't know why Montreal would retain $5.25m for 4 years in order to get rid of Price without getting anything of value in return, even if they desperately want to get rid of him to try to avoid ruining the tank. I'm also admittedly confused how the goalie with the 39th best regular season SV% is a risk of ruining the tank for a team as bad as Montreal, but that could be due to years of listening to Montreal fans pretend that Price's mediocre numbers are due solely to the bad team in front of him.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Price's 4 years is twice as long as Theodore's 2 years. 2 extra years is 2 extra years. How am I "over exaggerating" this basic fact?

I also don't know why Montreal would retain $5.25m for 4 years in order to get rid of Price without getting anything of value in return, even if they desperately want to get rid of him to try to avoid ruining the tank. I'm also admittedly confused how the goalie with the 39th best regular season SV% is a risk of ruining the tank for a team as bad as Montreal, but that could be due to years of listening to Montreal fans pretend that Price's mediocre numbers are due solely to the bad team in front of him.

His numbers have been effected by the team in front of him. Our teams have sucked for 5 years. He carried last postseason. You can sit here pretending your goalie carousel is somehow better then getting several years out of big game goalie with retention when you have a window on MacKinnon’s $6 million contract but you’re dreaming. Waste the prime of MacKinnon on a dream contract for all I care. We will stick Price on LTIR if it comes to that. I doubt GM’s see it the same way as you. They will find a way to make it work if they think it’s beneficial and Avs fans should be thankful you’re nowhere near team decisions.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
Yes, Byram does have injury concerns, but he's still a potential elite 1D on his ELC, and you don't trade potential elite 1Ds on ELCs for a goalie, I don't care who it is.
All depend what you can have in return probably the only 2 goalies I will be agree to trade Byram are Carter Hart and Spencer Knight but i don't think any of Philly and Florida want to give these 2 goalies

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
His numbers have been effected by the team in front of him. Our teams have sucked for 5 years. He carried last postseason. You can sit here pretending your goalie carousel is somehow better then getting several years out of big game goalie with retention when you have a window on MacKinnon’s $6 million contract but you’re dreaming. Waste the prime of MacKinnon on a dream contract for all I care. We will stick Price on LTIR if it comes to that. I doubt GM’s see it the same way as you. They will find a way to make it work if they think it’s beneficial and Avs fans should be thankful you’re nowhere near team decisions.

"Price isn't good enough to put up good numbers on our team because we suck"

"Price is so much better than anyone else that you should give up a huge haul otherwise you're going to waste MacKinnon's remaining year of cheap contract."

Can you explain how/why both of these claims should be trusted to be true at the same time?

Reactions: McJedi

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Korpisalo is who I would target. Depending on price, but conditional 2nd based on playoff games played. if he does not reach set number of games turns into a 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad