Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Oh so because Girard is redundant to the Avs(In your words), we should trade him to Montreal for literal pennies on the dollar.

What the f*** is this garbage. If Girard was available the other 30 teams in the league beat this offer in an insant.

No. Because the avs, like every team, has to make tough decisions to make the most of prime contending windows.

If the avs trade Girard, it's not because he's not a valuable asset, it's because he's an asset...

G upgrade & top 9 scoring depth are areas of need, pmd is an area on depth... and any transaction needs cap consideration.

Fair enough if you think there's a better fit elsewhere (or, that the avs are better as is with girard).

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I do watch the Avs play but not every game. Avs are a puck possession team and their D likes to join the rush a lot. They do hit you with offense and it's dangerous. However, I don't consider the Avs a defensively strong team. Vegas showed how grit and structure can beat them.

Avs to me need a very good goalie to give them an extra edge. That's how I see it but I'm going to talk to the Oilers first with Price.

I really don't care what you consider them, your pov isn't supported by a single metric. They are an elite team at limiting chances against who are being done in by 2nd worst goaltending in the league.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
In the real hockey world. But can't wait to see you guys face Vegas in the playoffs again especially with the goaltending you have. Should be short and sweet again.

AVs after a slow start are 10th overall. They have the most firepower. GA is improving to middle of the league. Kuemper is elevating his game. Franc returned from injury.

Yet, they’re top 10 for injuries. They continue to get stronger with a daily change in lines to adjust for so many different players out of the lineup. When healthy, shot suppression will continue to improve to lessen scoring chances. Playoff losses were mainly due to injuries and not Goaltending.

Reactions: flyfysher

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
To Colorado
Allen, Drouin 50%retained, Kulak, Perreault

To Mtl
Girard, Jost

Avs get 1B goalie & Drouin @2.75M for this year & next, plus depth LD & bottom 6 fwd vet both with expiring contracts.

Habs fill PMD need & versatile Jost who will get ample shot at earning a top 6 role.
Colorado Don't need Perreault and kulak 2 guys who will be out of the lineup. Allen is a number 2 goalie and drouin will not better than any players in Colorado top 6. Drouin don't worth his contract value Girard yes.
Everyone want to give Girard for almost nothing never forget he's got one of the best contract terms for a top 3 D in the league.
His value his more than you can think because of that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
To Colorado

To Mtl
Girard, Jost

Avs get 1B goalie & Drouin @2.75M for this year & next, plus depth LD & bottom 6 fwd vet both with expiring contracts.

Habs fill PMD need & versatile Jost who will get ample shot at earning a top 6 role.
Avs pass easily. They don’t need any of those unimportant and unimpressive players. Girard far superior to anyone the Habs have to realistically offer.
Habs have only one player Avs trade Girard for. Suzuki. And he’s not available.

Reactions: flyfysher

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
To Colorado

To Mtl
Girard, Jost

Easy fix here. Change Girard for JT Compher 50% retained.

now you’ve got a fair deal. Avs don’t need Allen at all but Frankie would need to go back the other way.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Avs pass easily. They don’t need any of those unimportant and unimpressive players. Girard far superior to anyone the Habs have to realistically offer.
Habs have only one player Avs trade Girard for. Suzuki. And he’s not available.

:biglaugh:

Thx for the laugh

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Hopefully the Avs invest in developing Justus and bring in a few high profile goalie prospects so in a few years they have an internally developed goalie pipeline that can support the 2nd phase of the team's contention. For now it is what it is unless they can get lightning in a bottle with a trade/signing like a Ned or Andersen type. Trading for Kemps was proof enough that big trades are risky for goalies.

You mean like the Avs developed a D pipeline?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kuemper is a better regular season goalie than Price. He’s younger, doesn’t have serious addiction issues, isn’t coming off knee surgery and isn’t due $10.5mm per year for another 4.5 seasons. Ouch.

he’s an easy choice to be the 1G. Price won’t even be on the Avs radar. He’s not on anyones radar.

It’s MAF that’s far more Interesting to the Avs, Oil and others in the event a team makes a goalie move, which the Avs don’t need to nor should make.

Avs backup is also excellent when healthy.

Avs are having a very good season so far, even thru a brutal hand of injuries and covid. Will be in first place if they win their games in hand. They don’t need to make any moves at present. It’s a very strong roster with no obvious flaws.

If the Habs had Kuemper last year, we don't make the playoffs and even if we do, there is no way we beat the Leafs and go on that run. Reality.

Keep up your stat checking. Kadri having more pts/game than MacKinnon this year. Does that mean people pick Kadri over MacKinnon? NO! Go somewhere else with your stat narrative

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
If the Habs had Kuemper last year, we don't make the playoffs and even if we do, there is no way we beat the Leafs and go on that run. Reality.

Keep up your stat checking. Kadri having more pts/game than MacKinnon this year. Does that mean people pick Kadri over MacKinnon? NO! Go somewhere else with your stat narrative
You’re comparing a sample size of 20 games over three full seasons where Kuemper has outplayed Price. Yea I’m sure that .901SV% really helped drag your team to the playoffs.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
In the real hockey world. But can't wait to see you guys face Vegas in the playoffs again especially with the goaltending you have. Should be short and sweet again.
And who’s in the Vegas net? Like are the Avs supposed to be worried about Lehner lmao?

I’m sure you would be watching the Avs since your team sure as hell won’t be in the playoffs.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

With Price, you finished 18th in the regular season, despite playing in the weakest division and only made the playoffs due to special covid rules. So, I'm not sure your argument is nearly as effective as you might have hoped.

It's also 4 years that Price has struggled, not a single season where he played well but was still outperformed by a guy having an amazing season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You’re comparing a sample size of 20 games over three full seasons where Kuemper has outplayed Price. Yea I’m sure that .901SV% really helped drag your team to the playoffs.

Just example of how foolish it is. If you think you can win with Kuemper and he can hold that performance in the playoffs. Your choice and prerogative in the end. But if you or anybody else wants to decline talks and then proceed to devalue Price, it will be defended. I stand firm

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With Price, you finished 18th in the regular season, despite playing in the weakest division and only made the playoffs due to special covid rules. So, I'm not sure your argument is nearly as effective as you might have hoped.

It's also 4 years that Price has struggled, not a single season where he played well but was still outperformed by a guy having an amazing season.

A healthy Price gives a cup contender an edge in the playoffs and his regular season stats is tied to team D in front of him. Habs focused on a different game style in the playoffs vs regular season and the numbers show that Price faces a large amount of high danger shots. Habs are guilty of relying on him too much and that can wear on you. Price on a better team would be a fresh start and I have full confidence he brings consistent energy knowing he will not be as exposed over and over again. You don't have to agree but this is solid context into Price and his ability

I'm fully aware of anything you can dig up on Price. I know his struggles and the context involved with it very well. You can devalue from that as you wish but I don't think team Canada says no to Price cause they are looking at stats like you are. REALITY!

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
A healthy Price gives a cup contender an edge in the playoffs and his regular season stats is tied to team D in front of him. Habs focused on a different game style in the playoffs vs regular season and the numbers show that Price faces a large amount of high danger shots. Habs are guilty of relying on him too much and that can wear on you. Price on a better team would be a fresh start and I have full confidence he brings consistent energy knowing he will not be as exposed over and over again. You don't have to agree but this is solid context into Price and his ability

I'm fully aware of anything you can dig up on Price. I know his struggles and the context involved with it very well. You can devalue from that as you wish but I don't think team Canada says no to Price cause they are looking at stats like you are. REALITY!

Yes, I've heard the "but the Habs sucks in front of him" excuse a million times from countless Habs fans trying to pump Price's tires. And it still sounds like a desperate used car salesmen trying to get someone to please buy the rust bucket he's trying to get top dollar for. We just need to look at your "solid context into Price and his ability", rather than looking at what he's actually done for the last 4 years, right? Ignore the injuries, and the inconsistent play and the cost of the retention, and just focus on how it feels to have a big name goalie in net. Don't worry about how you're going to pay for it, just imagine all the Cups you're going to win with this baby. It was laughable when it started, but now it's just tiresome.

I'm also not trying to devalue Price in the slightest, and have explicitly said (to you) that a 1st + A + B prospect is not unreasonable. What I'm saying is that, even at that fair price for what you're offering (Price with $21m in retention for 4 years), I'm still not interested because I'm not really in the market for a new goalie right now. Keumper and Francouz are our guys for this season. Maybe we'll add a 3rd stringer at the TDL, but that's about it. Your repeated claims that Grubauer sucks and that Team Canada will pick Price don't change anything. The best thing you can do at this point is accept no for an answer, and walk away.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Yes, I've heard the "but the Habs sucks in front of him" excuse a million times from countless Habs fans trying to pump Price's tires. And it still sounds like a desperate used car salesmen trying to get someone to please buy the rust bucket he's trying to get top dollar for. We just need to look at your "solid context into Price and his ability", rather than looking at what he's actually done for the last 4 years, right? Ignore the injuries, and the inconsistent play and the cost of the retention, and just focus on how it feels to have a big name goalie in net. Don't worry about how you're going to pay for it, just imagine all the Cups you're going to win with this baby. It was laughable when it started, but now it's just tiresome.

I'm also not trying to devalue Price in the slightest, and have explicitly said (to you) that a 1st + A + B prospect is not unreasonable. What I'm saying is that, even at that fair price for what you're offering (Price with $21m in retention for 4 years), I'm still not interested because I'm not really in the market for a new goalie right now. Keumper and Francouz are our guys for this season. Maybe we'll add a 3rd stringer at the TDL, but that's about it. Your repeated claims that Grubauer sucks and that Team Canada will pick Price don't change anything. The best thing you can do at this point is accept no for an answer, and walk away.

I already said that multiple times to HH and even said Avs just want to see what they have for now so as to leave the door open later. But HH is definitely like a used car salesman pushing a rust bucket at this point. I previously had the exact same thought.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014

No because most people understand what sample size is. Thats why we also judge Price more on his RS performance rather than playoff performance.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
They will never win a cup until they get a real goalie.
In his last four games, he’s 4-0-0 with a .922 save %. Kuemper is fine. He’s 13-5 this season. He’s a better 1G than the majority of NHL teams have in net, including the Habs. Doesn’t sound like a guy that needs to replaced by a sub mediocre regular season goalie and addict or some 2G nobody like Jake Allen.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad