Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Kuemper provides enough to win, but AVs defence is terrible. Last season led the league with shot suppression, they’re now among the worst. Maybe injuries have disrupted lineups to create any cohesion or consistency, if the team stays healthy Goaltending is good enough to win.

wrong, we’re 2nd in xGA and have the 31st best starting goaltender

Reactions: Reparlana

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So obviously the Avs gave up a lot in Timmins and a 1st to get Kuemper.

But Kuemper has been mediocre. While he's won 11 of his 17 starts, his save percentage is .904, which isn't good enough even on a team that can score like Colorado can.

There's Pavel Francouz who has shown to be a really good backup and possibly decent 1/B but has been hurt a lot. He has played some games in the AHL, but he hasn't played an NHL game since 2020.

Jonas Johansson is not NHL calibre.

The Avs have a team with a lot of great pieces on D, a supreme top 6 and an iffy bottom 6. Add a couple of forward depth pieces and this could be a cup team. But the goaltending could completely kneecap them.

Kuemper and Francouz have both shown themselves to be incredibly injury prone as well.

If I'm an Avs fan and we're in an elimination game with Johansson in net, I'm angry at Sakic.

Reminds me of Carolina in the past with a fantastic team that just can't figure out goaltending (though Carolina may have solved that this year).
Avs are 3rd place in the west right now by points %. They don’t need to make any moves. They just need to keep playing exactly like they have.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Apparently they'll just outscore their trash goaltending and having the worst defenseman in the NHL in Jack Johnson.

seems to be working

I mean they just beat the top team in the league and kuemper and Jack Johnson both played great.. whatever works I guess

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Kuemper has been fine. He's made the big saves. I also like that we can probably get him for a reasonable deal with those numbers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kuemper has been fine. He's made the big saves. I also like that we can probably get him for a reasonable deal with those numbers.

I think you need better than fine if you want to win a cup though. Fine is something you hear middle of the pack teams say.

However, if you think you can go on a run with a cheap "hot" goalie in the playoffs, all the power to you. Good luck

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't see anything happening in season, but if Washington decides that Samsonov isn't their guy, I could see a fit with Sammy in Colorado. Sammy has taken the #1 role in DC for the past month or so, but they aren't going to commit to either him or VV until they're forced to. I would strongly prefer Washington not give up on Samsonov before trying a more capable goalie coach than Scott Murray, but the org hasn't shown any signs of dumping Murray (unfortunately). So if the Caps do decide to move on from Samsonov, it wouldn't shock me if Colorado come knocking about acquiring a third young Caps goaltender via trade (Varlamov, Grubauer) to add to a tandem.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
nothing mid-season, if they have the same playoff fate, i would expect sakic to take it seriously in the offseason

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
nothing mid-season, if they have the same playoff fate, i would expect sakic to take it seriously in the offseason

From what we have seen, Sakic won't be desperate but I do think he keeps his ears open. I just wonder how long they can go with meh goaltending though. I don't consider their team D strong (in actual defense vs Offensive ability) and their goalie can and will get exposed in the playoffs. Some will think I am saying their team D sucks which is not the case. I just think they are more driven with skating/offensive ability and a PP team. Knights knocking them out is what I am thinking cause they were more gritty and had better team D and goaltending.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I think you need better than fine if you want to win a cup though. Fine is something you hear middle of the pack teams say.

However, if you think you can go on a run with a cheap "hot" goalie in the playoffs, all the power to you. Good luck
Binnington, Holtby, Murray and Crawford all won cups. Which one of those which you categorize as an elite goalie? They all had hot streaks in their career but was never considered elite goalies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Binnington, Holtby, Murray and Crawford all won cups. Which one of those which you categorize as an elite goalie? They all had hot streaks in their career but was never considered elite goalies.

There are always exceptions to the rule but the exception is not the rule. And almost all those teams won cups with a very good team D. Avs are allowing 3.36 goals/game which ranks 26th. A cheap goalie who plays hot can't shelter that.

But if that is the Avs plan, all the power to them. Good luck. I don't think the Avs win two cups without Roy back when and with Thibault.

Without Vasi, the Habs have a shot at beating Tampa. Tampa beat us with better goaltending, depth and team D. Their offensive stars were contained.... even their deadly PP.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

This is pretty much it. They gave up too much for Keumper to not at least give him the chance this year, and Francouz looks like he's coming back decently well, so trading for a better backup isn't an immediate need anymore. Obviously, there's a risk that they won't stay healthy, but that risk exists for literally everyone, especially in Colorado where there seems to be something in the water.

But, if one/both aren't healthy closer to the TDL, I could see something happen then, even if it's just an insurance policy against Johansson being our backup for the playoffs.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
There are always exceptions to the rule but the exception is not the rule. And almost all those teams won cups with a very good team D. Avs are allowing 3.36 goals/game which ranks 26th. A cheap goalie who plays hot can't shelter that.

But if that is the Avs plan, all the power to them. Good luck. I don't think the Avs win two cups without Roy back when and with Thibault.

Without Vasi, the Habs have a shot at beating Tampa. Tampa beat us with better goaltending, depth and team D. Their offensive stars were contained.... even their deadly PP.
Exception to the rule? Those are the goalies that won the cup in 7 of the last 9 years.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Holtby won a Vezina trophy. He was certainly perceived as being an elite goaltender for the majority of the Trotz-Capitals era.

Reactions: grapes55

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Holtby won a Vezina trophy. He was certainly perceived as being an elite goaltender for the majority of the Trotz-Capitals era.
He wasn’t good the year they won the cup though, he lost his job to Grubauer is the regular season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad