Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Something I'd love to see is Colorado going after Craig Anderson because I think he might surprise people in these playoffs if he's acquired by a team bound for the playoffs.

But Fleury I'd love to see because I think it solidifies Colorado winning the cup.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
One of the worst proposals I've ever seen on this site

Habs are stuck with that Price boat anchor. Expecting teams to take it off your hands and give you premium assets is delusional.

Price’s goaltending in the playoffs could put the Avs over the top. It’s the one thing the Avs really lack right now.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

Avs44

May 16, 2011
What would you give for Varly back?
Love the guy, but probably not what Isles fans would want, in all honesty. As in, the Avs probably only offer futures. Certainly nothing even close to Girard, as an Isles fan earlier in this thread suggested (33 year old goalies with a history of injuries don't return high end top four defensemen on good contracts...who are literally a full decade younger...).

Varly was awesome here. But the reason the Avs ultimately let him walk is because he was so frequently battling some injury and consequently unreliable when it came down to it. In other words, the exact problems the Avs are having again with injury-prone Kuemper and Francouz. It looks like in his first couple years for you guys he avoided some of those issues, but unfortunately I can't say I'm surprised to say he had some injury issues again to start this year and has had some struggles getting back to form. That happened quite a bit in Colorado, even to the point he'd just miss 2-3 games with some groin strain and then have a rough few games getting back into shape.

If the Isles give up on this year and want to get younger / dump cap for next season by moving Varly for picks I personally would love if the Avs inquired and tried to just stack their net options with 3 injury prone goalies in Kuemper / Varly / Francouz (one of them has to be healthy, right?). But if Lou wants "win now" pieces then it doesn't make any sense.

To be honest I expect you guys will just keep him for the next 1.5 years...that seems to make the most sense, especially given his friendship with Sorokin.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Something I'd love to see is Colorado going after Craig Anderson because I think he might surprise people in these playoffs if he's acquired by a team bound for the playoffs.

But Fleury I'd love to see because I think it solidifies Colorado winning the cup.

The fear is Anderson has a concussion and not play again.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Nothing.

Francouz is set to return soon for them.. they will be fine running a 1A 1B tandem between him and Darcy.

You decide which is which - my vote is with Frankie.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs are going to go with Kuemper and Francouz and hoping none of them get injured when it matters. It's not ideal with their injury history, but no team is perfect.

I have higher hopes of Francouz going on a cup winning run in goal than I am of Kuemper doing the same. He's a gamer. Just needs to stay healthy.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Nothing.

Francouz is set to return soon for them.. they will be fine running a 1A 1B tandem between him and Darcy.

You decide which is which - my vote is with Frankie.
My concern is that the same setup with Grubauer and Francouz let do Michael "Not an NHL goalie" Hutchinson in elimination games against Dallas and ultimately cost them the series. Kuemper is more injury prone than Grubauer and Francouz literally still hasn't recovered.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Avs are going to go with Kuemper and Francouz and hoping none of them get injured when it matters. It's not ideal with their injury history, but no team is perfect.

If they do this, then I see them upgrading their 3rd goalie.
They did this last season, and I can see them doing this again if they don't trust Johansson.

From Buffalo: Craig Anderson (if healthy) or Tokarski.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They already spent a 1st on Kuemper, don't think they will spend another 1st/2nd on yet another goalie.

I could see them maybe adding Khudobin or Halak as an insurance policy in case Kuemper or Francouz get hurt at salary retained for cheap.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
My concern is that the same setup with Grubauer and Francouz let do Michael "Not an NHL goalie" Hutchinson in elimination games against Dallas and ultimately cost them the series. Kuemper is more injury prone than Grubauer and Francouz literally still hasn't recovered.

Wasn't Hutch the reason you were still in the Dallas series with two playoff wins in elimination before Game 7? Injuries caught up with the team, can't put that on Hutch who gave what he could (which my team knows well, is not much on most nights).

If anyone is to blame, it should be Sakic who rolled the dice on a goalie who is made of glass. Heard so many times people defending Kuemper that he is not injury prone, but that's been proven once again this year.

As for Frankie, yeah he had a bad start in his return to the AHL on conditioning, but just recently had a shutout and has posted two subsequent wins, so I'd say he is almost recovered and will be on his way up with the team very soon.

EDIT: Looks like Frankie won again last night.. 3-1-1 with a .944 save % .. I'd say he is recovered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad