Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I haven’t seen or heard that report. My apologies. Maybe that opens up ullmark then?

assuming rask is good to go, i don't see why they wouldn't consider trading ullmark.
then again, don't see why avs would want him. he's been a good goalie on a bad team.
never appeared in a playoff game.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
They can probably afford to wait a little while to see if Kuemper's game picks up, and how Francouz performs. No point in chasing a solution when they might already have it in hand. If things go poorly, then pretty much the same external options will be there in February as are there today.
:dunno:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nice to see a good response instead of just taking jabs at each other. This i understand. Gibson is another that would fit in well.
With the Ducks resurgence this season the return to the playoffs may no longer be as far away for Anaheim. Thus the reasoning for moving Gibson may not be valid any longer.

For the Avs the best rental goalie via trade is MAF. Has the track record and is in a team that isn’t likely to be a playoff team.

Rask is a ufa, so Sakic is free to contact his agent at any time to gage interest. I mean the East is stacked with fla, TB, Was, Car etc. Road more open in the west.

Avs do need a starter for next year as well so they could take someone with term if they believe in the goalie.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
assuming rask is good to go, i don't see why they wouldn't consider trading ullmark.
then again, don't see why avs would want him. he's been a good goalie on a bad team.
never appeared in a playoff game.
Because Sweeney is not going to admit the corner he has painted himself in.......

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Ullmark has a NMC.

yes, i'm aware. obviously that's the first roadblock to a deal. but he wouldn't be the first
to be traded when owning one. most guys don't want to stay where they aren't wanted.

swayman to the minors is the simplest transaction, but it also doesn't make a lot of sense
since he's clearly an NHL goalie. at the very least, sweeney has provided some drama on
an otherwise boring roster.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Don't think the Avs do anything until Francouz gets a fair shake. I think he plays on Tuesday against Philly, so we'll see. If Frankie plays well, I think they ride it out. Too much invested in Kuemper to quit on him now.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
if Rask is for real on only BOS I think Halak would make sense. Cheap and has experience going far in the playoffs. Playing fairly well this year despite playing behind a tire fire defensive team too

Reactions: harv33173

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I doubt many goalies would do well on this team. One of the most one dimensional, offensive teams in NHL history. Not that Kuemper is big star either though.
call Grant Fuhr.. he's used to playing behind teams like that lol

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
So obviously the Avs gave up a lot in Timmins and a 1st to get Kuemper.

But Kuemper has been mediocre. While he's won 11 of his 17 starts, his save percentage is .904, which isn't good enough even on a team that can score like Colorado can.

There's Pavel Francouz who has shown to be a really good backup and possibly decent 1/B but has been hurt a lot. He has played some games in the AHL, but he hasn't played an NHL game since 2020.

Jonas Johansson is not NHL calibre.

The Avs have a team with a lot of great pieces on D, a supreme top 6 and an iffy bottom 6. Add a couple of forward depth pieces and this could be a cup team. But the goaltending could completely kneecap them.

Kuemper and Francouz have both shown themselves to be incredibly injury prone as well.

If I'm an Avs fan and we're in an elimination game with Johansson in net, I'm angry at Sakic.

Reminds me of Carolina in the past with a fantastic team that just can't figure out goaltending (though Carolina may have solved that this year).

The Bruins could be a really good trade partner here. They have 3 really good goalies and an overabundance of bottom6 players thanks to some strong debuts from young players.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thinking outside the box, but what about a Bowen Byram for Carter Hart kind of big swing for the fences? Solve the goalie position with a guy who has star potential.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Why are you concerned about the AVS ? You are upset that Jimbo has been fired and you are looking to jump on the AVS bandwagon? A real canuck fan should rejoice when Colorado,Oilers,Flames,Leafs,Boston and the Hawks are having problems.Also as a Naslund fan you should still hate the AVS with passion.
This is literally one of the most depressing self-reports I have ever seen.

One of my favourite quotes comes from Aristotle: "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it".

And here you are myopically thinking that me being interested in the NHL as a whole means I'm not really a Canucks fan.

I'll let you puzzle over what that might say about you in this case.

You do a bunch of aggressive assuming, suggesting that I'm 'upset about Jim Benning leaving', look at my posts, I'm ecstatic about it.

I'm looking to jump on the Avs bandwagon? Because I like hockey and follow the sport even outside of my favorite team (hint, look at my avatar and name).

Seriously homie, have a good think on this one, it's a bad look.

Reactions: bh53

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
There isn't a trade to be had right now unless another team still values Kuemper at a 1st, which I highly doubt. At the trade deadline we'll see if the goaltending needs an upgrade, but there isn't going to be a core piece being moved, the most Joe will pay is probably close to a 1st (i.e. Jost/Compher/Kaut +). He'd rather gamble on Francouz/Kuemper than overpay for another goalie, it's just not his M.O.

The other need the Avs' have is either a top 6 winger or #3C, but again I doubt much comes about this unless another team puts some value in an expendable piece (Jost/Compher/etc.). If I had to bet, we'll be going into the playoffs with a few depth additions but nothing significant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad