Line Combos: What happens when Lars comes back?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We are finally seeing Galch playing C and playing well as 1st C.
Frankly, at this point, even when Eller comes back, I do not want to see Galch playing any other role other than to continue as C.
If we are to use Eller as 3rd C, I would want DD to play his wing. And for all those that complain about DD not handling the boards if Eller is his C...would it matter? I mean, in general, Eller goes from the boards on one side and carries it to the other side boards...don't think you would need anyone else on the boards ;)
If we keep DD as 3rd C, try Eller as his wing for 5-10 games and see how he does. Yes, he looked bad his other times but did he really have time to adjust? Give it some time before making a decision.
Pleks of course is 2nd C unless given Patches...which would make the line the 1st line?
Makes absolutely zero sense to put Eller on the wing. We have to stop trying to find ways of keeping DD in the lineup. If we're going to keep him in the lineup at all (and I don't think we should) then he can try to prove himself on the wing. Eller is better both offensively and defensively than DD so why move him?

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Since the new line up has been created habs win 3-1 and 6-2, let's not totally change the line up when Eller comes back. Parenteau should be the next one to sit with 1 point and -1 in his last 5 games.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Andrighetto- Plekanec-Sekac
Desharnais-Eller-Bournival
Prust-Malholtra-Weise

Parenteau

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Pac-Galchenyuk-Sekac
Andri-plek-parents
Dd-Eller-Gallagher

Hand us the cup

I like that lineup.

I wonder though if were to play a small fast team in the playoffs, like Tampa, if Bournival or Hudon should go in for Parenteau.

If we play a big team, we may want to put Bournival in for Desharnais.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...this is an issue that is about to play a far greater role in the success of the Habs this season than most realize, imo...this isn't just an Eller vs. Desharnais debate, no matter who we remove from the lineup when Larry gets back, we are removing an asset from the lineup:

Choice #1 - Let Eller sit - As one of the better (imo one of the best) 3rd line centres in the League, this would be a foolish option; his two-way game, as we got to see last night against the Kings, is missed very much on the 3rd line...as well as they played in spurts offensively, the 3rd line as it is with Larry out is far too weak defensively.

Choice #2 - Sit Desharnais - Not an option with Therrien and probably not an optimal option regardless...the issue is can he fit in on the wing.

Choice #3 - Send Andrighetto back to Hamilton - Semi-Probable option, but a foolish one...if he keeps up his recent play on the 2nd line, sending him down (or even lower in the lineup) would be a mistake...he and Sekac have been major spark plugs and taking that away while they're playing so well doesn't make any sense.

Choice #4 - Sit Bournival - As probable an option as Therrien has right now...but is it the right one? Bournival has been good since his return to the lineup and can be an effective player on either the 3rd or 4th line...needs to play, but will he get to?

Choice #5 - Sit Parenteau - As he and Desharnais play a somewhat similar game, this may seem like a viable option, but it shouldn't be viewed as one of the better ones, imo...PA has exceeded many expectations with his play and has even been playing with more grit than in previous years...can move up and down the lineup when required...far too useful to sit.

Choice #6 - Sit Prust - Despite a popular opinion here, the loss of grit & toughness would have an adverse effect on the lineup...Prust has been much better this year than last and is one of the silent leaders of this team...is doing the little things that don't get the glamour...very effective 4th liner imo.

Choice #7 - Sit Weise - Less gritty and tough as Prust, but a better player...more effective than Prust when moving up the lineup in shorts spurts as well...another spark plug and a valuable player in the lineup.

Choice #8 - Sit Malholtra - Best faceoff man in the League and reliable in the D-zone...neither Larry or Davey would be as effective centering the 4th line, so it shouldn't be an option...with Therrien, you never know.

Choice #9 - Trade - An option, but probably not a viable one until the Habs see where this goes when Larry is back...save this debate for later.

...this isn't just an easy snap decision for the Habs and shouldn't be viewed as one...no matter who we take out of the lineup, our effectiveness takes a hit...

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Makes absolutely zero sense to put Eller on the wing. We have to stop trying to find ways of keeping DD in the lineup. If we're going to keep him in the lineup at all (and I don't think we should) then he can try to prove himself on the wing. Eller is better both offensively and defensively than DD so why move him?

Didn't say it made any sense. I just said that if we (i.e. MT) decided to keep DD as 3rd C, THEN move Eller to his wing. That's all.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Unfortunately, I see Galchenyuk moving back to the wing when Eller comes back.

In an ideal scenario, the lines look like this when Eller comes back:

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gallagher
Andrighetto Plekanec Sekac
Desharnais Eller Parenteau
Prust Malholtra Weise

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
...and use a less-effective 3rd line centre while making Larry less effective...not a smart option...

For me it's more about matchups, last night was a good example. Chucky had to face Kopitar or Carter all night because MT felt that DD needed the exploitation role. The problem is that Chucky is still developing and isn't yet ready for those matchups. If Eller played as 3rd line centre, he would have seen one of Carter or Kopitar, with heavier d-zone starts. This would leave chucky to get more o-zone starts against Stoll's line.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
For me it's more about matchups, last night was a good example. Chucky had to face Kopitar or Carter all night because MT felt that DD needed the exploitation role. The problem is that Chucky is still developing and isn't yet ready for those matchups. If Eller played as 3rd line centre, he would have seen one of Carter or Kopitar, with heavier d-zone starts. This would leave chucky to get more o-zone starts against Stoll's line.

...another great point...problem is, will Therrien be smart enough to see it??... :dunno:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I'd put him on DD's wing on the third line even if he hasn't shown anything good as a winger so far.. unless DD struggles between now and then, DD is a better fit as a center than wing.

We all know MT won't scratch DD and I don't think he deserved to be scratched. Both will have to play on the third line and between Eller and DD, I think Eller is more suitable on the wing..

Eller is a better goal scorer than playmaker, DD is a better playmaker than scorer so let the center be the playmaker and winger be the goal scorer.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Eller is the ****ing third best faceoff guy in the league. He's the best third line center in the league too. It would be the absolute most moronic thing you could possibly do to put him on wing.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
People who think Galchenyuk should play any position other than centre from here on out are nuts. Do they not see what he does in the neutral zone with the puck? Can you not see what he does with the puck down low or between the hashmarks?

Why on earth would anyone want him back on the wing, I don't get it.

Because it doesn't matter. He can play exactly the same way offensively, just like Guy Lafleur (a centre in Junior) did.

Even playing with Plekanec, he was often carrying the puck and doing the things you mention.

Therrien said in a press conference this week that he wants Alex to be creative and not afraid to make a mistake. As long as he has that freedom offensively, his position is really not that important. His MINUTES and PP TIME are! We are a stronger team with Eller in the Top 6 than Andrighetto, Bournival, Parenteau or Prust.

I am not 'nuts' because I want Eller over those guys in my top 6. Please learn to be more respectful of others' opinionis, and actually listen to them and consider them rather than judging so fast, and so condescendingly.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I'd put him on DD's wing on the third line even if he hasn't shown anything good as a winger so far.. unless DD struggles between now and then.

We all know MT won't scratch DD and I don't think he deserved to be scratched. Both will have to play on the third line and between Eller and DD, I think Eller is more suitable on the wing..

Eller is a better goal scorer than playmaker, DD is a better playmaker than scorer so let the center be the playmaker and winger be the goal scorer.

...even though Eller is the better centreman, especially for 3rd line duties??...again, doesn't make sense to use a less-effective player when a more effective player for said position is available...

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Because it doesn't matter. He can play exactly the same way offensively, just like Guy Lafleur (a centre in Junior) did.

Even playing with Plekanec, he was often carrying the puck and doing the things you mention.

Therrien said in a press conference this week that he wants Alex to be creative and not afraid to make a mistake. As long as he has that freedom offensively, his position is really not that important. His MINUTES and PP TIME are! We are a stronger team with Eller in the Top 6 than Andrighetto, Bournival, Parenteau or Prust.

I am not 'nuts' because I want Eller over those guys in my top 6. Please learn to be more respectful of others' opinionis, and actually listen to them and consider them rather than judging so fast, and so condescendingly.

Learn to be respectful? What exactly did I do that was disrespectful? I didn't single anyone out, and I didn't attack anyone's opinion I simply stated that it would be nuts to want to move the player who was drafted to be the franchise centreman to the wing to accommodate the anchor on this team.

If people can't see that Galchenyuk is a completely different player at centre than wing, I'm not sure there's anything I can say. I just hope the coach can see this, or else he needs to go immediately.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
For instance, the D-zone starts yesterday: Malholtra: 13, Plekanec 8, Galchenyuk 6, Desharnais 1.

Chucky did get most of the o-zone starts though. He had 6, while the rest of the centres had 5 combined.

DoctorPurple

Jun 9, 2014
Montreal, Canada
I'd put him on DD's wing on the third line even if he hasn't shown anything good as a winger so far.. unless DD struggles between now and then, DD is a better fit as a center than wing.

Stamkos and MSL. The center scores, the winger passes.

The analogy works well regarding sizes too.

smon

Sep 12, 2008
...this is an issue that is about to play a far greater role in the success of the Habs this season than most realize, imo...this isn't just an Eller vs. Desharnais debate, no matter who we remove from the lineup when Larry gets back, we are removing an asset from the lineup:

Choice #1 - Let Eller sit - As one of the better (imo one of the best) 3rd line centres in the League, this would be a foolish option; his two-way game, as we got to see last night against the Kings, is missed very much on the 3rd line...as well as they played in spurts offensively, the 3rd line as it is with Larry out is far too weak defensively.

Choice #2 - Sit Desharnais - Not an option with Therrien and probably not an optimal option regardless...the issue is can he fit in on the wing.

Choice #3 - Send Andrighetto back to Hamilton - Semi-Probable option, but a foolish one...if he keeps up his recent play on the 2nd line, sending him down (or even lower in the lineup) would be a mistake...he and Sekac have been major spark plugs and taking that away while they're playing so well doesn't make any sense.

Choice #4 - Sit Bournival - As probable an option as Therrien has right now...but is it the right one? Bournival has been good since his return to the lineup and can be an effective player on either the 3rd or 4th line...needs to play, but will he get to?

Choice #5 - Sit Parenteau - As he and Desharnais play a somewhat similar game, this may seem like a viable option, but it shouldn't be viewed as one of the better ones, imo...PA has exceeded many expectations with his play and has even been playing with more grit than in previous years...can move up and down the lineup when required...far too useful to sit.

Choice #6 - Sit Prust - Despite a popular opinion here, the loss of grit & toughness would have an adverse effect on the lineup...Prust has been much better this year than last and is one of the silent leaders of this team...is doing the little things that don't get the glamour...very effective 4th liner imo.

Choice #7 - Sit Weise - Less gritty and tough as Prust, but a better player...more effective than Prust when moving up the lineup in shorts spurts as well...another spark plug and a valuable player in the lineup.

Choice #8 - Sit Malholtra - Best faceoff man in the League and reliable in the D-zone...neither Larry or Davey would be as effective centering the 4th line, so it shouldn't be an option...with Therrien, you never know.

Choice #9 - Trade - An option, but probably not a viable one until the Habs see where this goes when Larry is back...save this debate for later.

...this isn't just an easy snap decision for the Habs and shouldn't be viewed as one...no matter who we take out of the lineup, our effectiveness takes a hit...

I think a lot depends on how Andrighetto plays going forward. The team does need more reliable scoring - right now he is showing good skills and if he can keep it up then we probably see Weise/Prust/Bournival rotating as the 13th forward.

If Andrighetto begins to struggle then I'm guessing Bergevin will be compelled to make another Vanek-type trade to get another offensive forward into the lineup. This would probably clear up the logjam as he'd be willing to give up roster players.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...the team is more effective with 3 lines that don't need to be sheltered; so far, Chucky has shown that he doesn't need sheltering @ #1 centre while the Desharnais-centred line does...if he keeps that up, you'd be removing our most effective #1 centre to take a step back...we can't build our lineup around continually trying to shelter Desharnais @ centre; it's just plain stupid...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
...the team is more effective with 3 lines that don't need to be sheltered; so far, Chucky has shown that he doesn't need sheltering @ #1 centre while the Desharnais-centred line does...if he keeps that up, you'd be removing our most effective #1 centre to take a step back...we can't build our lineup around continually trying to shelter Desharnais @ centre; it's just plain stupid...

Well, to be fair, he did get 6 o-zone starts yesterday, while the rest of the centres had a combined 5 o-zone starts. That being said, Chucky's line had 5 d-zone starts last night, DD had 1.

I think you can interpret it as MT feeling the line deserves the o-zone starts, but isn't afraid to start them in their own end as well.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Well, to be fair, he did get 6 o-zone starts yesterday, while the rest of the centres had a combined 5 o-zone starts. That being said, Chucky's line had 5 d-zone starts last night, DD had 1.

That has more to do with him being paired with the top scorer than anything I would imagine. Plus, he's the most dynamic player on this team with the puck besides Subban, he should be getting offensive zone starts regardless.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Pac-Galchenyuk-Sekac
Andri-plek-parents
Dd-Eller-Gallagher

Hand us the cup

Desharnais would get eaten alive in board battles as a winger. Fuggetaboutit.

He either plays 3rd line minutes in an exploitation role with secondary scoring wingers, or he sits out as 13th forward if he can't produce acceptably in the role I just outlined.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I've been saying for two years that if Desharnais is to stay on this team, he should be moved to the wing. I fear Therrien will simply move him back on the first line and put Galchenyuk back on the wing.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Desharnais would get eaten alive in board battles as a winger. Fuggetaboutit.

He either plays 3rd line minutes in an exploitation role with secondary scoring wingers, or he sits out as 13th forward if he can't produce acceptably in the role I just outlined.

As much as I dislike Desharnais, he's done enough in the league to deserve a chance at wing to see if he can translate. If not, move him. But he does deserve it.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Unless you are wanting to remove Desharnais from the lineup entirely, he needs to play limited minutes at C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad