Line Combos: What happens when Lars comes back?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Well, to be fair, he did get 6 o-zone starts yesterday, while the rest of the centres had a combined 5 o-zone starts. That being said, Chucky's line had 5 d-zone starts last night, DD had 1.

I think you can interpret it as MT feeling the line deserves the o-zone starts, but isn't afraid to start them in their own end as well.

...the most effective Top Lines in the League are the ones who can start anywhere on the ice and still create offensive opportunities...bringing Chucky along that way is helping him become that #1 Centre...;)

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I've been saying for two years that if Desharnais is to stay on this team, he should be moved to the wing. I fear Therrien will simply move him back on the first line and put Galchenyuk back on the wing.

Then fire him. If Desharnais is the hill he wants to die on, so be it.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
As much as I dislike Desharnais, he's done enough in the league to deserve a chance at wing to see if he can translate. If not, move him. But he does deserve it.

He's done enough and has enough experiencein this league to earn 11-12 minutes in a secondary scoring role. If fail to see why not. And I am not his fan by any means and hate seeing him pushed to the ground easily (which will only get worse on the wing). But he can play the role of secondary offence generator.

I want Eller in my top-6, he is one of our six best forwards. If he could play wing without losing effectiveness, then #27 can stay at C. But I suspect Eller is more comfortable at C.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He's done enough and has enough experiencein this league to earn 11-12 minutes in a secondary scoring role. If fail to see why not. And I am not his fan by any means and hate seeing him pushed to the ground easily (which will only get worse on the wing). But he can play the role of secondary offence generator.

I want Eller in my top-6, he is one of our six best forwards. If he could play wing without losing effectiveness, then #27 can stay at C. But I suspect Eller is more comfortable at C.

The only way Eller gets into the top 6 is if he takes Plekanec's role and spot. It could be something worth looking at if Plek was ok with playing a primary defensive role but at this point he's having a good offensive season and flourishing with the 2 rookies.

I think it will have to wait at least another year because they're not going to move their defensive leader and Selke candidate midway through a season where they're high in the standings.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Unless you are wanting to remove Desharnais from the lineup entirely, he needs to play limited minutes at C.

...but that's still making our team less effective...you want to use players in lesser roles to provide sheltering to Desharnais; we've played that game for the last couple of years and it doesn't work...why intentionally make ourselves the proverbial one-legged man in the buttkicking contest??...

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
...and use a less-effective 3rd line centre while making Larry less effective...not a smart option...

Again, didn't say it made any sense, just that if MT decides to keep DD at C for whatever reason, then Eller to his wing.
Personally, rather have Eller as 3rd C with DD on his wing but that's besides the point.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

Err...I can't see Eller replacing Galch as 1st C, nor Pleks as 2nd C. Eller as far as I see it, isn't nearly as good as Galch offensively to be a 1st C, nor is he defensively good enough to beat Pleks as 2nd C. As of now, I'm not even convinced Eller is better than Pleks offensively either. So unless Eller is a winger in the top 6, I see no way for Eller to be in the top 6.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Again, didn't say it made any sense, just that if MT decides to keep DD at C for whatever reason, then Eller to his wing.
Personally, rather have Eller as 3rd C with DD on his wing but that's besides the point.

...which brings us full-circel to the real issue; will Therrien ice the best team possible or will he fall back on old habits and cut the legs out of the kids' progress...I'm praying (and I'm not religious at all) the former but the odds on the latter are high, more's the pity...:(

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Unless you are wanting to remove Desharnais from the lineup entirely, he needs to play limited minutes at C.
Hence why he should be removed entirely.

We've got four centers that don't need sheltering and one guy who does. DD just isn't suited for the NHL. All he can do is play exploitation minutes and be carried by his wingers.

The experiment should be over and we should move on. But we won't.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

We've got four centers that don't need sheltering and one guy who does. DD just isn't suited for the NHL. All he can do is play exploitation minutes and be carried by his wingers.

He got carried by PAP last game in reduced minutes?

I understand he's not a 1st line center but this is a little much.

If you generally had high standards that's one thing but you have such blind faith in Eller.

I understand your perspective, I don't understand why its in extremes though.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I hope Sekac goes back with Eller because they were really dynamite together, although he has been good with Plekanec as well. I guess maybe Sekac is just a good player and can adapt with anyone, well except Pacioretty & Desharnais. He did absolutely nothing on that line.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I hope Sekac goes back with Eller because they were really dynamite together

Here's the thing. You have to choose between Pacioretty, Sekac, and Bournival as to who should get the most<->least ice time between them as the top 3 LWers. I don't think it makes any sense at ALL to have Sekac playing the least of the 3 right now, and that's what you end up with if he's tied to Eller - and assuming Prust is on the 4th line, mind you.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Here's the thing. You have to choose between Pacioretty, Sekac, and Bournival as to who should get the most<->least ice time between them as the top 3 LWers. I don't think it makes any sense at ALL to have Sekac playing the least of the 3 right now, and that's what you end up with if he's tied to Eller - and assuming Prust is on the 4th line, mind you.

The team is 2 wingers short of a full roster IMO. One top 3 and one top 9, so it doesn't really matter where they are but I would agree that Sekac is better than Bournival, who might very well be scratched when Eller is back.

habitue*

The only way Eller gets into the top 6 is if he takes Plekanec's role and spot. It could be something worth looking at if Plek was ok with playing a primary defensive role but at this point he's having a good offensive season and flourishing with the 2 rookies.

I think it will have to wait at least another year because they're not going to move their defensive leader and Selke candidate midway through a season where they're high in the standings.

No.

USE THESE LINES:

Patches-Plekky-Sekac

Eller-Galchy-Gally

Bournival - DD - PAP

Prust- MM-Weise

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

The Solomon solution. Split the baby in half.:sarcasm:

Eller plays C on the line for 30 minutes and DD plays C on the line for 30 minutes.

Bournival and Andrighetto split and alternate games.

Everyone's happy.....no?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

I thought you said you missed last night's game.:sarcasm:

bigtimehockeyfan999*

eller and andrighetto and a pick get traded for evander kane.

Pacman - Chuckie - Gallagher
$YMCM - Pleks - Sekac
Bourne - DD - Parenteau
Prust - MM - Dutch

that's ****ing deadly

but don't get me wrong I love eller and ghetto. not sure how it all works out though

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He brings danishes for everyone?

If all forwards are healthy my guess is there will be a rotation between Bournival and Weise as to who sits out.

As far as center goes I have a feeling the staffs - both managerial & coaching - will leave DD at center. He'll be useless on the wing.

Then again MB could surprise us and make a trade for another d-man.

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
Going into the future DD is really only useful if he can produce on the wing or fill in as a centre due to injuries. He's not even close to being better than Chucky, Pleky or Eller and He sucks at D to play Malhotra's minutes.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He brings danishes for everyone?

If all forwards are healthy my guess is there will be a rotation between Bournival and Weise as to who sits out.

As far as center goes I have a feeling the staffs - both managerial & coaching - will leave DD at center. He'll be useless on the wing.

Then again MB could surprise us and make a trade for another d-man.

We are so used to arguing that Desharnais is not top-3 that we are missing the fact that he is one of our 9 best forwards offensively.

If Eller is not in our top 6, then someone clearly less good has to be in the top 6. Why do we need to do that just to say we are playing Galchenyuk at C?

Eller is much better defensively than Galchenyuk and is suited to play big minutes. If we are willing to play Pleks with Patches and Eller with Chuckie, then Chuck could be the "center" in the offensive zone, with Eller winning board battles and cycling, but Eller could take the defensive-zone draws and also match up against the top centermen in his own zone where needed.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Baseball Coach you are coming off as not wanting Galchenyuk to be a C for the reason that you want Desharnais kept safe.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He got carried by PAP last game in reduced minutes?

I understand he's not a 1st line center but this is a little much.

If you generally had high standards that's one thing but you have such blind faith in Eller.

I understand your perspective, I don't understand why its in extremes though.

There's nothing extreme about wanting your best players to play. He can be an injury fill in but he has no business being used ahead of Eller at centre. Nobody wants this guy and for good reason, he's better suited to the AHL.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We are so used to arguing that Desharnais is not top-3 that we are missing the fact that he is one of our 9 best forwards offensively.

If Eller is not in our top 6, then someone clearly less good has to be in the top 6. Why do we need to do that just to say we are playing Galchenyuk at C?

Eller is much better defensively than Galchenyuk and is suited to play big minutes. If we are willing to play Pleks with Patches and Eller with Chuckie, then Chuck could be the "center" in the offensive zone, with Eller winning board battles and cycling, but Eller could take the defensive-zone draws and also match up against the top centermen in his own zone where needed.

Why put Chuck with Eller? Both are centers. Trade for a real winger and be done with it.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Patches - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Ghetto - Gangsta - Cakes
DD - Eller - PAP
Prust - Malhotra - Weise
Bournival

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad