Pre-Game Talk: Week to Get Back (To Where You Once Belong) [@VAN; @CGY; @EDM]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Building a team, not just 6 core players and spare parts. It will never be "done" entirely but the point is they were supposed to build this franchise into something. They were given 5 of our 6 core players and a #1 overall pick, what have they provided on top of that? I'm not disagreeing with changing their draft philosophy, getting in some good prospects, signing some good FAs, developing the young guys that were and are here are part of that. But we aren't looking at the long term big picture right now, one that I very much believe(d) in. We are looking at what this team does in the next 12 games, period. It's fair to look at each individual and evaluate their performance, as they always should be doing, but as a group, an entity of 23 guys expected to accomplish something, no their job isn't done at all.

If they trade a core piece in the offseason, it won't be because of "what the team does in the next 12 games". Period. The bigger picture will be looked at, and right now it doesn't look good for a couple if the Avs miss again. What if some of these guys don't have the ability to respond when the pressure is on? Like what Roy said when he and Joe were players they wanted that pressure, they thrived off that pressure. I think MacKinnon has that, but our sample size is too small (for what it's worth, that small sample size seemed to indicate that he would do well in those areas). If there are players on this team that are more content with just saying "aww shucks, we'll get it next year" or do the same old lip service of "We need to be better starting with the next game" then I think it's absolutely fair to start putting pressure on them, and if they can't succeed, or if they can't show progress, then yeah, time to look at alternatives.

You can't say that they "aren't looking at the big picture" when they are, because that's the only reason they'd trade someone like Matt Duchene. The big picture is looked at when determining if they can live with trading him or not.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I hate this slow schedule at this time of the year. I think teams play better when they can get in a rhythm. 4 games in 14 days doesn't allow that.

I do get your point, for me, a break is a good thing to stay healthy for the avs.... we beat a team, ANA that won what 18 of 21.. and did not beat the Jets who could not tie there laces in the last month. We have new guys to practice and work on the team play jell, fyi I love the fit of the new guys.
Bringing up Zads over Redmond for sure though.. really wish we could see some help on D.

Back on target, so many of the guys have been hurt injured or sic, rest is great for helping guys we need to play great like EJ, regain some star form.

I think the team wins 7 and makes it in as we witness another mini

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Don't know how many of you heard it this morning but I think it should be listened to. I mean, the line of questioning started with "Kane and Toews wouldn't let those third periods happen". :facepalm:

Is that not valid though? Perhaps singling out Kane and Toews to compare them to our top players wasn't spot on, but teams that have the success that Chicago has simply don't fold like lawn chairs in the third period. It's time that our best players start taking some accountability for that - it's not an issue with Roy's system that led to the debacle at the Stadium game, it's mental lapses and horrible giveaways by players who do know better than that.

I do get a bit tired of the rationalization that players are "young" and "still learning" when its factually untrue. They're extremely well-paid professionals; they were young and learning when they were 12 on a pond rink.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I'd hope EJ was the one they move if they're actually going to move a core player. It wouldn't endear themselves to anyone though as trading someone before their new contract even kicks in isn't a good thing.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
i would put ej in the untouchable pile if i were sakic. when he is healthy he is an animal and the best player on the team. some of you guys must be forgetting that...:rant:

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Core trades? why would we unless some core person wants out?
This is the best team Avs have had in some time... we still need to get a replacement d man.. but if Zads plays next year and Rants that should help on both sides of the blue line ...
humm

Trade MAcK for PK?
too much fun.. lets just decide we are that good and go on a run, winning several games more than needed andstompingthe crap out of some body , cough, in the first round

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I dont think anyone on our team should be untouchable. For the right price and overpayment from the other guy anyone could be had :laugh:

ok, but we are talking realistic trades not insane I must have player X trades...

EJ but not Barrie
Dutchii but not MacK..
Varly but not Bara or Picks
LAndy.. you just dont trade your captain

I dont think I would say untouchable to all the moving parts...

I like Mathias and Boeds, but at the correct price
I like Bauch but the age
we need some blue line help

so either or both new forwards Beods and MAthias stay or are replace in free agency pick ups.
Add Rants
we are then at Dutchi LAndy MacK Beods Sodapop Mathias Iggy Comoe
RaNTANANA For our top nine.... thats not bad considering

and hopefully replacing any loses with signings..

On d its a mess
EJ Barrie Bauch and ? Zads and ? Moloche? New guy with no nickname>? edit add Bigras mind fart sorry
I would give up some offense to strengthen our d, or pics or berra...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Seems like it's been an eternity since we've seven it.

Eternity...or earlier in the season (before his injury)...same thing...

If it weren't for the contract EJ would be the core piece to move if one had to go simply due to age, durability and longevity concerns. But moving a guy who took a hometown discount to stay, right before his contract kicks in; isn't really something we can do without losing our ability to sell ourselves as a team that takes care of its players. Which would make #structure even more of a farce. If a core piece is moved, the only one that makes any sense to ship out would Barrie; and then only if he's demanding 6.5-7.5per.

Trading Dutchy would be dumb, trading Landy equally so, moving MacK at the point where his value is the lowest it'll ever be would be even dumber still; and trading Varly at this point would be suicide...even if Pickard grew into the starting job over the next few seasons of learning on the job. That leaves just EJ & Barrie; and if Barrie plays ball contractually, he wouldn't make any sense either. The only way we become a better team by moving one of these guys out, is if we end up getting a better player back for any of these guys; and I'm extremely skeptical that that trade is out there without us needing to giving up a Rantanen/Zadorov, at least, on top of the core piece who's departing.

Last edited:

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
If we are talking about a failed rebuild and a team that is not progressing, i don't know but it seems to me that the face of this rebuild would naturally be the first one to go.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Trade them all, I don't care, honestly. All options should be on the table if makes us a better team. I got over losing Ricci, Yelle, Drury, Foote, and Forsberg. That's the way it goes.

Last edited:

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
There's nearly no way to get fair value trading ANY of our core pieces. Can anyone realistically think of a trade that would happen where the Avs get the BETTER player in the deal? Maybe you could argue there are trades that could happen that the Avs get a piece they have more of a need for, but I don't think you can trade Duchene or Landeskog or MacKinnon and wind up with the BETTER player in that trade - most likely you're looking at a good player + a good prospect or some valuable futures and that isn't what this team needs.

It's disappointing to hear in Roy and management team that is apparently as impatient as some of the team's fans when it comes to the core of this team. I've said before that I would much rather see a change in coaching before making the stupid decision to move a core piece of this team - but obviously Roy isn't going to step down/fire himself before making some needlessly drastic move that will only ultimately set this team more backwards than forwards. How many years can we go losing players like Statsny and O'Reilly and now possibly another important piece before the management realizes that maybe something else is the problem. I know they way those guys left isn't the same kind of scenario we're talking about here, but you can't just bleed talent endlessly and expect it to somehow lead to your team being better for it.

At this point I want the team to make the playoffs a lot less for the sake of getting to watch them play playoff hockey and a lot more so to save Roy and/or Sakic from making a rash decision to trade away an important part of this team.

In somewhat related news, Mike Johnson from Sportsnet was on the PDOCast with Dimitri Filipovic and Roy and Sakic came up - Johnson mentioned that there were some whispers around the league that Sakic wouldn't be long for this job (by his own choice) so I'm wondering if he's thinking that this line of work just isn't for him, or he really does not particularly enjoy it, or what. I found that interesting though, it's the first I had ever heard of that.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
In somewhat related news, Mike Johnson from Sportsnet was on the PDOCast with Dimitri Filipovic and Roy and Sakic came up - Johnson mentioned that there were some whispers around the league that Sakic wouldn't be long for this job (by his own choice) so I'm wondering if he's thinking that this line of work just isn't for him, or he really does not particularly enjoy it, or what. I found that interesting though, it's the first I had ever heard of that.
Is this in the newest episode?

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
There's nearly no way to get fair value trading ANY of our core pieces. Can anyone realistically think of a trade that would happen where the Avs get the BETTER player in the deal? Maybe you could argue there are trades that could happen that the Avs get a piece they have more of a need for, but I don't think you can trade Duchene or Landeskog or MacKinnon and wind up with the BETTER player in that trade - most likely you're looking at a good player + a good prospect or some valuable futures and that isn't what this team needs.

It's disappointing to hear in Roy and management team that is apparently as impatient as some of the team's fans when it comes to the core of this team. I've said before that I would much rather see a change in coaching before making the stupid decision to move a core piece of this team - but obviously Roy isn't going to step down/fire himself before making some needlessly drastic move that will only ultimately set this team more backwards than forwards. How many years can we go losing players like Statsny and O'Reilly and now possibly another important piece before the management realizes that maybe something else is the problem. I know they way those guys left isn't the same kind of scenario we're talking about here, but you can't just bleed talent endlessly and expect it to somehow lead to your team being better for it.

At this point I want the team to make the playoffs a lot less for the sake of getting to watch them play playoff hockey and a lot more so to save Roy and/or Sakic from making a rash decision to trade away an important part of this team.

I don't understand why we wouldn't get "full compensation" for our players if we traded one or more of them.

All of this is all purely conjecture anyways. Not reason to get our collective panties in a bunch just because Roy is frustrated. Maybe it's time for a little less coddling anyway.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
If you're interested in skipping ahead their Avs talk starts at about the 22 minute mark.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
In all fairness I remember thinking how worn and weathered Sakic looked at his HHOF induction a few years ago. I don't know if it's the jobs as much as he's just aging poorly. One probably doesn't help the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad