Pre-Game Talk: Week to Get Back (To Where You Once Belong) [@VAN; @CGY; @EDM]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Building a team, experience, learning to win together. Can the Oilers just wake up one day and will themselves there? They have more talent than we do.

I just can't figure out what your argument is exactly.

We lack winning experience and we are severely behind the curve on learning how to win. Some way some how, we need to get over the hump and actually start winning some of these games.

How do you get experience if you can't win/aren't learning how to win to get that experience? It's a chicken vs, egg argument, sometimes you just have to say screw it and put everything on the line and go win some hockey games.

One day the Oilers will have to do that, too.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Building a team, experience, learning to win together. Can the Oilers just wake up one day and will themselves there? They have more talent than we do.
I don't think they do. They have two special players (Hall although he's dumb as a rock and McDavid) and a few good ones. Avs have Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Varlamov, Jones, Bigras, Barrie, Boedker, Grigorenko, Iginla, Beauchemin and Soderberg. Then there are Zadorov and Rantanen waiting in the pipeline. Avs have a lot of talent imo.

Edit: I forgot Pickard.

Last edited:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

What do you do with talent when you cant put it in good use? Hall, McJacob and Draisaitl are playing like they are expected and the next three most talented players there, I always get the feeling RNH could be a lot better but imo is underachieving same goes with Yakupov and Eberle
Our talent have their buns in the oven so to speak whereas rnh is trying to turn it on

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It's fine, I'll drop it. It's not worth it.

This roster isn't good enough, period. I'll leave it at that.

This roster is most definitely good enough. Especially with the new additions. We are talking playoffs. You don't even have to be in the top half of the this conference to make them.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
IMO, if this team ever learns to start the damn season on time we'd be consistently in a comfortable playoff spot by this point in the year.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
It's fine, I give up. Yes our young players need to progress but just to expect them to carry a team to a championship out of thin air is a bit too much for me. I guess that's why I'm not an optimist. They get no free pass and then what? Doesn't matter what's around them, they should make up the difference? A team will just get mental fortitude because someone says so? I'll hope for the day when they wake up and say, yep we are mentally stronger now, let's win a championship!

I'm still honestly extremely surprised that Roy and Sakic haven't had a better influence as a management team. I really thought after the first game and the first season as a whole that we had that intangible winning attitude in the locker room that comes from guys who've worked their ***** off for multiple championships, and its just withered away. Perhaps that has something to do with the lack of development in our top guys, they just don't play with any commitment or desperation at the right times.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The first year they rode that incredible start the whole season. They had zero expectations and pressure and just went out and played. When it came to crunch time they were never in a do or die game. St. Louis gave us the division and then when it came time for real adversity we saw what happened. Nothing changed. You can't just "give" a team a winning attitude. They have to build it and earn it themselves.

The roster is good enough to be a playoff bubble team....which we are.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
The first year they rode that incredible start the whole season. They had zero expectations and pressure and just went out and played. When it came to crunch time they were never in a do or die game. St. Louis gave us the division and then when it came time for real adversity we saw what happened. Nothing changed. You can't just "give" a team a winning attitude. They have to build it and earn it themselves.

The roster is good enough to be a playoff bubble team....which we are.

That's where the Kane / Toews argument comes into play. They were able to get over the hump. Also it brings into play people questioning our core. Will they ever get over the hump?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
That's where the Kane / Toews argument comes into play. They were able to get over the hump. Also it brings into play people questioning our core. Will they ever get over the hump?

And I guess that leads to the question, is our core good enough, or is it our supporting cast that's lacking? Personally I'm at the point where I start to question our core and their drive, but you can't exactly say they've been surrounded by the ideal talent either. Maybe we're closer with some of our upcoming prospects than we think.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
And I guess that leads to the question, is our core good enough, or is it our supporting cast that's lacking? Personally I'm at the point where I start to question our core and their drive, but you can't exactly say they've been surrounded by the ideal talent either. Maybe we're closer with some of our upcoming prospects than we think.

Yeah exactly, maybe the old saying it gets darkest right before the dawn applies here. The team has been frustrating this year for sure, ups downs and all arounds.... I think this is a playoff team as is, not before all of the acquisitions, but we are now.

I guess it boils down to the fact that I don't have a problem with Roy trying to drag us kicking and screaming into the playoffs as it seems like he is trying to do.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Wes Gilbertson ‏@WesGilbertson 30m30 minutes ago
#Flames C Sam Bennett and D TJ Brodie are "very doubtful" to face Avalanche. G Niklas Backstrom will make Flames debut in Montreal.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't know if it was mentioned by Roy said Bigras will be reevaluated in Calgary. I guess he will try to pass the last test again.

Maybe a general interest, Berra was injured yesterday and Martin was called back up to San Antonio.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Anyone want to provide a run-down of what this article contains?

Stolen from someone on Twitter about what other GM's/scouts think of us.

CdxfoOsUIAAfoYn.jpg:large

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I don't know if it was mentioned by Roy said Bigras will be reevaluated in Calgary. I guess he will try to pass the last test again.

Maybe a general interest, Berra was injured yesterday and Martin was called back up to San Antonio.

This is Berra's third injury of the season right? Gotta feel bad for the guy. He looked like he was finally figuring it out early on.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Strange how our goalie has already had a number of hiccups this season, yet we're still not dead yet...

Yea, funny how Varly had the hiccups through all of October, then again after the All Star break, yet we have a better record than 13 other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad