Speculation: Weber's Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Pronger required a special one time CBA exemption agreed to by the NHL and Players Union. Plus in that case they only allowed Pronger to work for the NHL league office, not one of the individual Teams.

The NHL would not agree to an exception allowing an injured player to work for a Team.
You open up the exception once and there is nothing stopping Weber from trying also if that is what he wants.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
You open up the exception once and there is nothing stopping Weber from trying also if that is what he wants.

If Weber wants to work for the DoPS, then yes, maybe the NHL will agree to an exception.

They won't do an exception for Weber to work for a Team.

This is still overlooking that Montreal would prefer Weber retires next summer. So offering him a job with the team as an incentive is a possibility.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
$6m in actual salary (I'm assuming insurance is not covering his contract) and 4x $7.8m cap hit.

Going rate to dump that contract should be somewhere around a 1st + 2nd/3rd pick worth of value.

Trading Weber to Ari for example is doing them a huge favour. Habs will not pay assets ontop of doing them that favour.

Huge cap hit while paying low actual $ is huge for a small team going into 4 years of cost uncertainty.....

Reactions: Garry Valk

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Weber can't take a NHL job so long as he's under contract.

If he's interested in a front office job, a la Luongo, he's going to have to wait 4 more years unless he retires earlier. Montreal would very much like to see Weber retire in the summer of 2023 after their cap recapture penalty expires. Weber will be owed only $3m over three years at that time. If Weber wants to take a job with Montreal or any other team it would be a good time for him to retire in 2023.

Habs do not have any recapture penalties regardless of when or if he retires.

That risk belongs to Nashville I believe

Reactions: viceroy and zeeto

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Low salary high caphit and likely on ltir rest of his contract. Insurance will foot most of the contract cost I believe so for a team looking to just get to the floor on minimum actual dollars this would make sense

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I mean, go nuts on whatever you guys want to talk about wrt Weber's contract... just... don't EVER bring the Predators into it.

Reactions: Viqsi

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Habs do not have any recapture penalties regardless of when or if he retires.

That risk belongs to Nashville I believe

Habs have a Recapture Penalty if Weber retires before the end of the 2022-23 season.

Would be a $215k penalty for 4 years if Weber retired this summer.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Yes, the deal was Datsyuk's contract and the 16th overall for the 20th pick and 53rd pick in the draft, and forward Joe Vitale (a player on LTIR).

My point stands, Habs are not getting paid to dump that huge contract. They wil have to tie an actual asset to it.

Arizona basically paid the regular cost to move up in the draft. Detroit didn't pay anything to move Datsyuk

Habs have a Recapture Penalty if Weber retires before the end of the 2022-23 season.

Like 500k

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
16 for 20 and 53 is pretty even on its own, so I'm not sure why you think this is some huge cost.

If a trade like Weber + CGY 1st (~24) for CAR 1st (~30) + Van 2nd (~50) happens then it would be pretty similar.
Never said it would be a huge cost. And while the trade value of picks is debateable, Chayka commented when they made the trade it was essentially agreed upon because the Coyotes wanted Chychrun,

"It's something we've talked about for a long time," Coyotes general manager John Chayka told the newspaper. "There were few teams that can take that contract on. I talked to Kenny at length about it, and when Chychrun started to fall, we started to make calls to see what we can do. "I thought Kenny was going to keep the pick. I thought that was a good leverage point to utilize. We made the call on the floor and I got the player I wanted and Kenny got the space he needed."

I think it is near laughable to suggest the Coyotes will pay the Habs to take on that contract. And I would feel good about the trade you suggested. Moving up to 24th could be a big deal (Cutter Gauthier is slated there - WANT).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Never said it would be a huge cost. And while the trade value of picks is debateable, Chayka commented when they made the trade it was essentially agreed upon because the Coyotes wanted Chychrun,

"It's something we've talked about for a long time," Coyotes general manager John Chayka told the newspaper. "There were few teams that can take that contract on. I talked to Kenny at length about it, and when Chychrun started to fall, we started to make calls to see what we can do. "I thought Kenny was going to keep the pick. I thought that was a good leverage point to utilize. We made the call on the floor and I got the player I wanted and Kenny got the space he needed."

I think it is near laughable to suggest the Coyotes will pay the Habs to take on that contract. And I would feel good about the trade you suggested. Moving up to 24th could be a big deal (Cutter Gauthier is slated there - WANT).

Weber’s contract has significantly more negative value then Datsyuk’s did.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I mean, go nuts on whatever you guys want to talk about wrt Weber's contract... just... don't EVER bring the Predators into it.
Like it or not there are benefits to Nashville acquiring Weber’s contract. As such it’s worth discussing. Feel free to ignore those discussions

Reactions: viceroy

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Like it or not there are benefits to Nashville acquiring Weber’s contract. As such it’s worth discussing. Feel free to ignore those discussions
With them changing the way the recapture penalty is structured now the benefit would be fairly negligible. Certainly not enough to give up anything for it.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
With them changing the way the recapture penalty is structured now the benefit would be fairly negligible. Certainly not enough to give up anything for it.
The cap hit to Nashville could still be as high as $7.85 m for multiple seasons. You don’t think having some control over the contract is a benefit?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
What control? He either retires or he doesn't. He is going to make that choice no matter who has the contract.
Having him in the organization gives you the opportunity to actually speak to him without it being tampering. Plus if he’s Nashville propriety for a season before he retires (when his salary drops to $1m) the overall recapture amount will have been reduced by the fact that his salary this year is close to $5m less than his cap hit. That means the overall penalty is closer to $20m instead of $25m. Not quite as black and white as you make it out to be

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I can see Arizona being interested. They're moving into a 3500 seat arena next year for at least 3 years. There is no way they will want to be at league minimum, but well below it.

It's definitely a benefit to Montreal to move Weber's contract and not be in LTIR, as there are a bunch of young players on ELCs that are expected to make the team this year (Harris, to add to Suzuki, Romanov, Caufield, & Primeau ) and next (Ylonen, Norlinder and Guhle).

Things get worse if Price ends up LTIR too.

Bergevin made an absolute mess of the cap situation.

Depending on how things work out, I can see Montreal sending Calgary's 1st round pick to Arizona for either Colorado's or Carolina's 1st rounder, whose ever is later & a B prospect. B prospect would be someone like Fairbrother (D), Jayden Struble (D), Oliver Kapanen (C) or Blake Biondi (C).

You don't want to be in LTIR and have a lot ELCs on your team, which is why it works for a veteran team like Tampa Bay, but will be difficult for Montreal.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Having him in the organization gives you the opportunity to actually speak to him without it being tampering. Plus if he’s Nashville propriety for a season before he retires (when his salary drops to $1m) the overall recapture amount will have been reduced by the fact that his salary this year is close to $5m less than his cap hit. That means the overall penalty is closer to $20m instead of $25m. Not quite as black and white as you make it out to be
It really is. If he wants to leave money on the table and retire, then he retires. Poile has never been worried about it and we're not paying any assets to take the crappy contract back. Still being in a bit of a re-tool, the Preds have the cap space to absorb the recapture if it happens and Johansen and Duchene's $8M per year contracts will be coming off the books around the time it might be a problem.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
That's the Eugene Melnyk special right there. Ottawa will be all over this.

Don't see it happening with AZ, sorry but I can't believe anyone actually thinks they'll play a single game in that university building. It's just smoke and mirrors, they're pulling all the same lies and false promises they did to Atlanta fans only to move the team to Winnipeg.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
No incentive for Montreal to add pieces.

Whether it's a team needing the LTIR relief or to reach the cap floor, any trade of Weber is doing a favor for the receiving team.
No one will be 7.89m below 60.2m so that mythical need for help to reach the cap floor won’t be a thing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad