Speculation: Weber's Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He loves to play hockey. He can no longer do that

Is there any indication that he wants anything to do with management in the future?
I will have to dig up an interview. He indicated he has interest in a front office in retirement. I think the Habs will try to get him in that role ala Martin St. Louis.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It actually could benefit them in a couple years if they are competing and fall under that strange loophole where his LTIR helps circumvent the cap. I see Weber retiring in 2 years and taking a role in player development with the Habs. He is the ultimate team captain.

You don't understand how LTIR works. There is no benefit to Montreal. As long as they own that contract, he counts against their cap, in season or out. And he is never playing again, so it's not like Montreal can bring him back for the playoffs a la Kucherov or Stone.

A team like Arizona could benefit from that contract as it will help them reach the cap floor.

A team that is up against the cap could benefit as well, but ONLY if they are sending out cap space as well. Just adding Weber and doing nothing else doesn't create cap space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don't understand how LTIR works. There is no benefit to Montreal. As long as they own that contract, he counts against their cap, in season or out. And he is never playing again, so it's not like Montreal can bring him back for the playoffs a la Kucherov or Stone.

A team like Arizona could benefit from that contract as it will help them reach the cap floor.

A team that is up against the cap could benefit as well, but ONLY if they are sending out cap space as well. Just adding Weber and doing nothing else doesn't create cap space.

The tricky part is when you have to move that contract to LTIR. Before or after the season starts? If you make other moves and have to move Weber to LTIR before the season starts to be cap compliant, the accrued cap space is affected and any ELC performance bonuses automatically get deferred to the following season.

If the Habs are not against the cap next year and move Weber to LTIR after the season starts. No problems at all. I think this is something the Habs look to do in 2-4 more year range when his actual salary is $1M and the Habs might want to spend to the cap again (maybe).

If the Coyotes call and want that contract now, give us an offer. We are open to either moving him for something or keeping him (if we don't have plans to be tight against the cap for next year).

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
The Habs will pay 0 assets to unload Weber. He's not coming off LTIR for the duration of his contract. His contract will never count against the cap again. Weber's contract does not hurt the Habs in any way.

His contract would provide value to a team like Arizona that is looking to reach the cap floor.

If someone wants him to reach the cap floor, great. If not, we'll continue to keep him on LTIR.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Habs will pay 0 assets to unload Weber. He's not coming off LTIR for the duration of his contract. His contract will never count against the cap again. Weber's contract does not hurt the Habs in any way.

His contract would provide value to a team like Arizona that is looking to reach the cap floor.

If someone wants him to reach the cap floor, great. If not, we'll continue to keep him on LTIR.

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Except teams can spend beyond the cap limit (to the value of the LTIR) after the season starts.

The point is, the Habs won't have issues getting under the cap + 10% including Weber's LTIR in the offseason. And in season the Habs cap gets increased due to the LTIR.

There is no need for the Habs to give up an asset to dump Weber because they don't need to at this time.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Since I don’t know going to ask. Could Vegas bring Weber’s contract in in as insurance to allow them to have Stone back before the playoffs? AAV’s don’t even out so something else would have to happen. Just curious if it’s possible.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Except teams can spend beyond the cap limit (to the value of the LTIR) after the season starts.

The point is, the Habs won't have issues getting under the cap + 10% including Weber's LTIR in the offseason. And in season the Habs cap gets increased due to the LTIR.

There is no need for the Habs to give up an asset to dump Weber because they don't need to at this time.

Once again, you don't understand how LTIR works. Actually read the link I posted.

Reactions: Mckay

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Since I don’t know going to ask. Could Vegas bring Weber’s contract in in as insurance to allow them to have Stone back before the playoffs? AAV’s don’t even out so something else would have to happen. Just curious if it’s possible.

No. Bringing in Weber would increase the amount they are allowed to spend, but it would also increase the amount they are spending by an equal amount. The net effect would be zero.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Once again, you don't understand how LTIR works. Actually read the link I posted.
I read it. Where am i going wrong?

If the cap is 82M. The Habs have a 10% overage in the offseason (say 90M) with Weber's contract counting to the cap.
In season, if the Habs are at the 82M cap (without Weber), they can spend up to 90M due to Weber's LTIR.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I read it. Where am i going wrong?

If the cap is 82M. The Habs have a 10% overage in the offseason (say 90M) with Weber's contract counting to the cap.
In season, if the Habs are at the 82M cap (without Weber), they can spend up to 90M due to Weber's LTIR.

Weber's contract still counts against the cap during the season. So yes, they can spend up to 90 mil, but they are already spending 90 mil. There's no benefit to having his contract on LTIR.

If you trade Weber's contract, then their cap ceiling stays at 82 mil and they are spending 82 mil. There's no difference in available cap space.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Weber's contract still counts against the cap during the season. So yes, they can spend up to 90 mil, but they are already spending 90 mil. There's no benefit to having his contract on LTIR.

If you trade Weber's contract, then their cap ceiling stays at 82 mil and they are spending 82 mil. There's no difference in available cap space.

I think we are saying the same thing. I am not saying Weber's contract benefits the Habs cap-wise. It doesn't hurt them so long as they can get under the Cap + 10% limit offseason. Which is the case currently. Which is why the Habs have not need to trade it and give up assets in doing so. If Arizona wants his contract, they can have it.

Reactions: BLONG7

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I think we are saying the same thing. I am not saying Weber's contract benefits the Habs cap-wise. It doesn't hurt them so long as they can get under the Cap + 10% limit offseason. Which is the case currently. Which is why the Habs have not need to trade it and give up assets in doing so. If Arizona wants his contract, they can have it.

They don't need to do so but they eventually could if Carey Price requires the same.
Hence why they probably should deal him ASAP when it's not a need.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
They don't need to do so but they eventually could if Carey Price requires the same.
Hence why they probably should deal him ASAP when it's not a need.
No argument here. If Arizona comes calling its Weber for future considerations (maybe a an autograph'd Weber jockstrap). Otherwise, its status quo.

I think Price is coming back next season.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
No argument here. If Arizona comes calling its Weber for future considerations (maybe a an autograph'd Weber jockstrap). Otherwise, its status quo.

I think Price is coming back next season.

A very long shot prospect (Stapley, maybe? Good numbers, but small and not very fast, may not get signed; would give anything better than him) could do it to, or a low draft pick since we have a shitload of these.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
A very long shot prospect (Stapley, maybe? Good numbers, but small and not very fast, may not get signed; would give anything better than him) could do it to, or a low draft pick since we have a shitload of these.
Stapley is the same as offering Weber's autograph'd jock. In fact, the jock might have more value and use and more size compared to Stapley.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Coyotes received some asset(s) in all 3 trades where they acquired a star player's contract:

Pronger = dumped Gagner contract and received Nicolas Grossman
Datsyuk = moved up 4 spots in the first round in order to draft Jakob Chychrun
Hossa = received young players Hinostroza and Oesterle

Reactions: First Line

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What's the year 4 risk? He isn't going to officially retire.

I don't think it's a huge risk but let's play it out:

ARI or BUF (or other team near the floor) add Weber to easily reach the floor while actually paying salaries well below the floor.

3 years later that team is better, has some players on new deals that require raises, plus they sign a UFA or 2. Now they are at or near the ceiling. While they can then put Weber on LTIR (teams trading for him won't be doing that until they are close to the cap)... that may mean that they run into overages, lost bonus cushion and other factors that might limit their cap the year after Weber's contract is done.

Personally I think that's a long shot to happen as I don't see ARI being up against the ceiling in 4 years, but theoretically it's possible.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I will have to dig up an interview. He indicated he has interest in a front office in retirement. I think the Habs will try to get him in that role ala Martin St. Louis.
So they're going to find him a team of 13 year olds to coach as a way of prepping for his new duties?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad