Speculation: Weber's Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That's one of those " future considerations " type deals since it would benefit both teams. I don't see either side being willing to give up much of anything either for it or to move it.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Wishful thinking.

It will definitely cost the Habs a pick or prospect.

He’s an LTIR for the duration of his contract. The habs wont contend during that time. Really no good reasons for the Habs to pay for someone to take him off their hands. If no one wants him to reach the cap floor, the Habs just keep him on LTIR. Why lose assets?

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
The benefit for Montreal is the contract spot along with more offseason flexibility. The team cannot exceed the cap by more than 10% in the offseason and during the offseason Weber’s full cap hit counts until the season starts so they can’t acquire anyone with that 8 million cap space.
Likewise a team needing to get to the cap floor can use the 8 million in cap space he uses in the offseason while only paying him 1 million.
If Price also needs to go on LTIR at 10 million then that is even more cap space they lose during the offseason.

I am sure there are other benefits I am not capturing.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
My brain says it's Arizona for obvious reasons, to collect the most amazing alumni ever.

My heart says it'll be Vegas coming out of the left field and surprise us all with more LITR fun.

Reactions: mundyc3

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
The benefit for Montreal is the contract spot along with more offseason flexibility. The team cannot exceed the cap by more than 10% in the offseason and during the offseason Weber’s full cap hit counts until the season starts so they can’t acquire anyone with that 8 million cap space.
Likewise a team needing to get to the cap floor can use the 8 million in cap space he uses in the offseason while only paying him 1 million.
If Price also needs to go on LTIR at 10 million then that is even more cap space they lose during the offseason.

I am sure there are other benefits I am not capturing.

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Interesting note from Elliotte Friedman this evening:

What would a deal for this contract look like? Would Montreal have to add a pick? Would they demand a pick or player as compensation?

Why would Montreal have to move a pick? Weber on LTIR. Be receiving team adding a pick. I imagine to reach cap floor

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
High cap hit with low actual cash paid out.

Makes too much sense for Arizona. I dont see a downside for them.

I do see downside for The Habs though. If they intend to have a 2 year retool then that LTIR can be useful in 2 years.......

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Interesting note from Elliotte Friedman this evening:

What would a deal for this contract look like? Would Montreal have to add a pick? Would they demand a pick or player as compensation?

Absolutely they would have to pay to move 4 years of 7.85M in dead cap (the only exception being Nashville).

Reactions: mouser

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Absolutely they would have to pay to move 4 years of 7.85M in dead cap (the only exception being Nashville).
Nope, Habs are helping a team out. Or they hold onto the contract. Either way, Habs don’t lose assets. No reason yo.

Reactions: viceroy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not without taking a bad contract back a la Tyler Johnson for Seabrook.
What’s in it for Habs? Weber only counts to the cap in the offseason and Habs are in rebuilding mode. They will be loading up on assets. Not giving them up while rebuilding.

Weber may also retire inevitably in a year if the Habs ever needed hos capspace offseason.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'm not sure Weber is negative value to the Habs enough that they'd pay to get rid of him. At least Arizona would love to have his caphit help them toward the league floor.

Weber wins too, gets paid with fewer taxes for the last big chunk of money owed to him.

Habs win because Price + Weber on LTIR actually hurts them, doesn't help. You can only exceed the Cap by 10% in the offseason, so having both on LTIR is no help.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I do see downside for The Habs though. If they intend to have a 2 year retool then that LTIR can be useful in 2 years.......

It's not useful to Montreal at all. Weber on LTIR allows them to go up to 7.9 mil over the cap, but he also costs 7.9 mil against the cap. There's no savings by keeping his contract. In fact, they're more likely to have less cap space by keeping him, since they almost certainly won't be able to fully maximum the LTIR potential. They also won't be able to bank cap space as long as they are using LTIR.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It's not useful to Montreal at all. Weber on LTIR allows them to go up to 7.9 mil over the cap, but he also costs 7.9 mil against the cap. There's no savings by keeping his contract. In fact, they're more likely to have less cap space by keeping him, since they almost certainly won't be able to fully maximum the LTIR potential. They also won't be able to bank cap space as long as they are using LTIR.

Habs have no need to go 7.9M above the cap in the offseason this coming season or the one after. They are rebuilding and at least 2 years from competing. By that time, Weber will retire.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Habs have no need to go 7.9M above the cap in the offseason this coming season or the one after. They are rebuilding and at least 2 years from competing. By that time, Weber will retire.

Whether they do or not is irrelevant to the point I was making. The point is, keeping Weber doesn't benefit them in any way. It can only hurt them.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Whether they do or not is irrelevant to the point I was making. The point is, keeping Weber doesn't benefit them in any way. It can only hurt them.

It actually could benefit them in a couple years if they are competing and fall under that strange loophole where his LTIR helps circumvent the cap. I see Weber retiring in 2 years and taking a role in player development with the Habs. He is the ultimate team captain.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
It actually could benefit them in a couple years if they are competing and fall under that strange loophole where his LTIR helps circumvent the cap. I see Weber retiring in 2 years and taking a role in player development with the Habs. He is the ultimate team captain.

I wish people would explain this. Why would he retire and give away free money?

Reactions: First Line

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I wish people would explain this. Why would he retire and give away free money?
Because he can make the same money in the front office, doing what he loves to do. He's owed 1M per season at the end of his contract.

I see Weber as a future Coach or GM in the league.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I don't understand this LTIR stuff. It doesn't create cap space out of thin air.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Because he can make the same money in the front office, doing what he loves to do. He's owed 1M per season at the end of his contract.

I see Weber as a future Coach or GM in the league.

He loves to play hockey. He can no longer do that

Is there any indication that he wants anything to do with management in the future?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad