Speculation: Weber's Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Gotta wonder that when the Salary Cap was introduced in 2005 if they ever imagined all these years later the league would’ve made such a balls of it that fans can’t tell if Weber’s contract is a bonus or a penalty

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gotta wonder that when the Salary Cap was introduced in 2005 if they ever imagined all these years later the league would’ve made such a balls of it that fans can’t tell if Weber’s contract is a bonus or a penalty

Weber's LTIR contract is a salary cap challenge to teams up against the cap. Those who think that it increases cap space, have lack of knowledge. I seen a tweet that said it could help the Wild but according to what I know, it makes it worse.

In terms of meeting the cap floor for small budget teams, this is where I see Weber's contract of value. Especially after next season when his actual salary drops from $3M to $1M.

Moving contracts to LTIR before the season starts is a negative. You only do it if you have to and you certainly don't trade for that situation on purpose. Tampa picking up Seabrook was all about the difficulty of moving Johnson so that's why they did it. They also did not have any ELC performance bonuses to worry about (where it gets deferred to next year) but their accrued cap space gets greatly affected. Basically, limits Tampa from making any deadline moves.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Weber wants to work for the DoPS, then yes, maybe the NHL will agree to an exception.

They won't do an exception for Weber to work for a Team.

This is still overlooking that Montreal would prefer Weber retires next summer. So offering him a job with the team as an incentive is a possibility.

I think the Habs might try that after next season when he collects his $3M. Then he has 3 more $1M years and if offered a job in the development team (for example), they can pay him $1M or something close to that for 3 years and then he retires and earns the same amount of money. Even if they offer him a $600k job. This gets his foot in the management door and he don't have to also follow LTIR protocol for 3 years.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
If the Habs can move his deal it’s a positive. Still a big chunk of cap for the offseason that won’t be sitting there until they can put it on LTIR when the season starts.
Don’t think they’ll have to give up much of anything.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No one will be 7.89m below 60.2m so that mythical need for help to reach the cap floor won’t be a thing.

Very few will be yes but right now, the Coyotes are at $38M with 11 guys signed. Gets more interesting if they trade Chychrun. Are they going to throw money at UFA's to get to the cap floor? Or would they prefer not to commit to UFA spending and use the Weber contract?

I do agree with what you are saying but in terms of the Coyotes who will want to keep their cost down playing in a 5000 seat arena, it might make sense for them. 11 guys to sign and will be 12 if they trade Chychrun. I think they would prefer to go after 1/2 year deals to get to the cap floor but how that plays out with all the UFA's is tricky. Last thing they want to do is overpay UFA's on term/AAV

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Habs can move his deal it’s a positive. Still a big chunk of cap for the offseason that won’t be sitting there until they can put it on LTIR when the season starts.
Don’t think they’ll have to give up much of anything.

I think the Habs will listen if a team calls but we really don't have to move him. And as long as we don't try to sign top UFA's this summer, we can move Weber's contract to LTIR after the season starts and the cap space is there all season long where the insurance pays his $3M actual salary next year.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I think the Habs will listen if a team calls but we really don't have to move him. And as long as we don't try to sign top UFA's this summer, we can move Weber's contract to LTIR after the season starts and the cap space is there all season long where the insurance pays his $3M actual salary next year.
Agreed. Depending on the offseason direction the Habs don’t have to be in any hurry at all.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. Depending on the offseason direction the Habs don’t have to be in any hurry at all.

The only team I see Weber making sense is the Coyotes. Some fans who think a team like the Wild can use that contract don't really know how it works. It actually makes the Wild's cap situation worse, not better.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The only team I see Weber making sense is the Coyotes. Some fans who think a team like the Wild can use that contract don't really know how it works. It actually makes the Wild's cap situation worse, not better.
Don’t see the wild as a fit at all, agreed there. Coyotes I could see for sure but all depends they might do what they did last offseason just taking back shorter term bad deals for picks and such.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
well i see weber retiring after he collects his 3 million year . that leaves nashville on the hook for the 7.8 million in salary cap recapture fees for three years . this is the amount the league reduced it to . the league will not remove these recapture fees because other teams have paid them already .

so what would this be worth to nashville to be able to avoid ?

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
well i see weber retiring after he collects his 3 million year . that leaves nashville on the hook for the 7.8 million in salary cap recapture fees for three years . this is the amount the league reduced it to . the league will not remove these recapture fees because other teams have paid them already .

nothing

Reactions: Armourboy

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Might make sense for the coyotes. They seem to be regularly cashed strapped so getting to floor is impt for them. Actual cash out is minimal and if he is on LTIR it may be less. Not sure if the contract is insured- if it is Insurance would be paying maybe 80% of the cash cost. If insured then cash cost is $600K/200K/200K/200K for next 4 years. I.e $1.2M cash in total for 4 years of 7.8M towards the floor.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Weber's LTIR contract is a salary cap challenge to teams up against the cap. Those who think that it increases cap space, have lack of knowledge. I seen a tweet that said it could help the Wild but according to what I know, it makes it worse.

In terms of meeting the cap floor for small budget teams, this is where I see Weber's contract of value. Especially after next season when his actual salary drops from $3M to $1M.

Moving contracts to LTIR before the season starts is a negative. You only do it if you have to and you certainly don't trade for that situation on purpose. Tampa picking up Seabrook was all about the difficulty of moving Johnson so that's why they did it. They also did not have any ELC performance bonuses to worry about (where it gets deferred to next year) but their accrued cap space gets greatly affected. Basically, limits Tampa from making any deadline moves.

ithink in the new CBA they modified LTIR rules.

previous the rules were with a LTIR like Savard in Boston. A team needed to have ELCs or camp PTOs where they sent ELCs down, then on season day 1 they put savard on LTIR thrn call up ELCs or give a contract to the camp PTO against that LTIR space.

with Toronto…they waited to sign Marner against 2 LTIRs but they had to wait till season day 1

it appears now they don’t have to do those gymnastics….coukd have been a change in LTIR rules.

the problem is that it’s 4 yrs after this year

all GMs will say they plan on their team being a playoff team by the last year of Weber contract.

if it was just 2 yrs left you can find takers on rebuilding teams

for example for buffalo…

in 22/23 season they need to bring in about $15M gain in contracts from trades, UFA, or resigning Olofsson. But the need is short term.

in summer 2023 they have RFAs in Cozens, Thompson, and a few others
In summer 2024 they have RFAs in Mittlestadt, Krebs, Dahlin, Jokiharju, possibly Power.
In summer 2025 they could have a few other young players
in summer 2023 they have UFAs in Girgensons and Okposo.

the contracts signed by RFAs could easily be a $20M increase on their salary cap. They will want to be shoppers adding new pleases in trade/UFA. Weber contract could screw that up in summers 2023-2025

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Interesting note from Elliotte Friedman this evening:

What would a deal for this contract look like? Would Montreal have to add a pick? Would they demand a pick or player as compensation?

weber for vegas' 2nd and rangers 3rd.

Stone's back is miraculously healed

Reactions: Mike Jones

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

We've gone over this countless times.

We're perfectly fine with the recapture fee. Montreal will get nothing from Nashville.

Reactions: Armourboy

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
We've gone over this countless times.

We're perfectly fine with the recapture fee. Montreal will get nothing from Nashville.
and countless times we've disagreed . no need to sweat it yet . weber will collect his 3 million next season first .

Reactions: viceroy

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Apparently he's going to be mad enough at Nashville to leave money on the table and retire, but if we trade for him he'll magically change his mind and all will be swell and he'll LTIRetire. :eyeroll:

I guess Nashville could bout him into lockup preventing him from filing the retirement paperwork.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad