We need to talk about Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Didn't see the playoffs last year? This team ain't rolling through anyone lol. They shrink on the biggest stages.

Agree. It will be a team that fired their coach in season. So Toronto or Nashville. Outside chance at Pittsburgh and the Caps because Crosby and Ovi. My guesses.

Pucker Factor 10

Serious guy who doesn't take things too seriously
Oct 26, 2019
The Frozen Tundra of Nanook
Didn't see the playoffs last year? This team ain't rolling through anyone lol. They shrink on the biggest stages.

The same things were said about the Red Wings in the 90's when they were upset and knocked off by the Leafs in '93, Sharks in '94, NJ in '95, and the Avs in '96, and deservedly so. Each of those years they were a powerhouse and picked by many to win the Cup and yet failed to do so. But when they finally punched through, 3 in 6 seasons. As we all know, it's an incredibly difficult mountain to climb to hoist that hardware, as those Wings teams certainly understood.

It's a very interesting irony that their captain is largely responsible for constructing this team. No team has ever won this thing without adversity and they, more so than anyone else, know they haven't won anything, despite being very close a number of times within the past decade. But when you consider their 8-game winning streak and the last 2 wins (especially the Sunday 3-1 win at CAR as the 2nd game of a road back-to-back), I think it's safe to say they're over the sweep from last spring.

Last night, I really liked the fact that, like the game vs. the NYR a few weeks ago where they put up 9 on them as well, they're keeping their foot on the pedal and not letting up. If their opponents don't like it, then they should do something about it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The same things were said about the Red Wings in the 90's when they were upset and knocked off by the Leafs in '93, Sharks in '94, NJ in '95, and the Avs in '96, and deservedly so. Each of those years they were a powerhouse and picked by many to win the Cup and yet failed to do so. But when they finally punched through, 3 in 6 seasons. As we all know, it's an incredibly difficult mountain to climb to hoist that hardware, as those Wings teams certainly understood.

It's a very interesting irony that their captain is largely responsible for constructing this team. No team has ever won this thing without adversity and they, more so than anyone else, know they haven't won anything, despite being very close a number of times within the past decade. But when you consider their 8-game winning streak and the last 2 wins (especially the Sunday 3-1 win at CAR as the 2nd game of a road back-to-back), I think it's safe to say they're over the sweep from last spring.

Last night, I really liked the fact that, like the game vs. the NYR a few weeks ago where they put up 9 on them as well, they're keeping their foot on the pedal and not letting up. If their opponents don't like it, then they should do something about it.

Regular season hasnt been too big of an issue for them over the past few seasons. Its when they play bigger skilled teams in the playoffs that they struggle. Looks like we could find out if they can overcome that this time. Gotta get in first.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Regular season hasnt been too big of an issue for them over the past few seasons. Its when they play bigger skilled teams in the playoffs that they struggle. Looks like we could find out if they can overcome that this time. Gotta get in first.
2019: Bad choke
2018: Beat bruins and Devils easily, lost against the caps in 7, who then went on to win the cup
2016: Lost to pens in 7, who then went on to win the cup
2015: Lost to hawks in 6, who won the cup

In their last 4 playoff runs, only one can you say that they got "exposed". 2015 and 2016 they were playing better teams and arguably overperformed. 2018 they easily beat the bruins who are the epitome of skill and toughness, before losing to the caps as a result of the caps good defense more than anything else.

Last year's playoffs were weird and the team imploded for seemingly no reason, but saying that they struggle just cause other teams are bigger is just a narrative since we throw more hits than most teams, and are an average team when it comes to size. I mean, if you like you could actually watch the team and see we don't have any issues being beaten off the puck or taking hits. In 3/4 of their last playoff runs, they lost in 6 or 7 to the best team in the NHL that year.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
2018: Beat bruins and Devils easily, lost against the caps in 7, who then went on to win the cup

In their last 4 playoff runs, only one can you say that they got "exposed". 2015 and 2016 they were playing better teams and arguably overperformed. 2018 they easily beat the bruins who are the epitome of skill and toughness, before losing to the caps as a result of the caps good defense more than anything else.

Last year's playoffs were weird and the team imploded for seemingly no reason, but saying that they struggle just cause other teams are bigger is just a narrative since we throw more hits than most teams, and are an average team when it comes to size. I mean, if you like you could actually watch the team and see we don't have any issues being beaten off the puck or taking hits. In 3/4 of their last playoff runs, they lost in 6 or 7 to the best team in the NHL that year.

No thanks... rather look at charts.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The charts and "fancy numbers" tend to make us look better, given that our numbers for Corsi, xGF%, scoring chances, etc are almost all closer to the top of the league than our current standing

Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Should have put :sarcasm:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I do think we struggle against teams that can get away with playing a trap type style and generate goal scoring against us. Its either that we have had trouble either matching up with it or we arent making the right adjustments to it. I think it was a bit of both and the other teams were just better.

Really what it comes down to in the playoffs is being able to take care of the opportunities that are there and that is something our team, specifically our best players haven't been able to do when the playoffs are on the line. Also a bit of puck luck too. However we have been frustrated by teams that can play a trap against us. Coop and the team has no answer. Hence our low goal scoring in crucial games deep in the playoffs.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

Oh I’ve seen them. You go ahead and live in the past. God forbid a team figures out their shit and they in it all.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Last year might be the biggest choke job in team sport history imo. If its not its certainly in contention. So anything bad that gets said about last year is deserved

I would agree with Tampa in general not being chokers/underachievers in the playoffs though. As you pointed out they had done very well in years prior.

They were cup favorites for me in the off season - they were so earlier this year when struggling - and still are today. We'll see if they pull through these playoffs

Pucker Factor 10

Serious guy who doesn't take things too seriously
Oct 26, 2019
The Frozen Tundra of Nanook
Last year might be the biggest choke job in team sport history imo.

It was pretty big indeed, but IMHO that honor goes to the 1980 Olympic USSR hockey team at Lake Placid. Hard to believe next month (2/22) will mark the 40th anniversary of that incredible semi-final game against the U.S.

At least with TB vs. Columbus it was pro vs. pro, as opposed to the Soviet pros vs. American amateur college boys in 1980, whom they had smoked 10-3 at MSG just before the start of the Olympics.

Reactions: Hoek and Danrs112

kuch

Sep 27, 2016
Last year might be the biggest choke job in team sport history imo. If its not its certainly in contention. So anything bad that gets said about last year is deserved

I would agree with Tampa in general not being chokers/underachievers in the playoffs though. As you pointed out they had done very well in years prior.

They were cup favorites for me in the off season - they were so earlier this year when struggling - and still are today. We'll see if they pull through these playoffs

The biggest choke in the NHL playoffs has to be The Miracle on Manchester IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad