We need to talk about Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Because this is wild to me, this team went from winning 62 games to being 3 points out of 3rd in the Atlantic 7 back of the wildcard and now face what is basically a MUST win on Monday against Florida.

What's wrong with Tampa?

I dont know man, they seem to be so off this season. They are not winning games, not scoring goals and are looking quite Detroit-y.
Said no-one ever.

Reactions: dukeofjive

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They struggled a lot in October. Their play really turned around on the Sweden trip, but then their goaltending started failing them. Now the goaltending is shaping up, it seems, and every report we get about the underlying numbers is pretty glowing.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
This may be the best thing ever for them. Common sense said they would boot out a team like the Sabres who didnt deserve the playoff spot and god help whoever unluckily gets them in the first round after winning their division or in the 2v3 matchup.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
2 weeks ago "these are must win games or Tampa is out of the playoffs!!"

Now: Tampa with a better pts % than Toronto, Carolina or even Vegas who is leading the Pacific.

Like i said then, they could've dicked around for a month or two more before turning up the heat and still being in the fight.

They've never dropped below 55 pts % all season long that i can remember (60 guarantees a spot). Despite their 'struggles' they never imploded and have been in range of striking since day 1. It's those games in hand that created the illusion that "oh no Tampa is way down in the standings".

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Honestly it seems to be a thing that happens to teams when they have an over the top amazing season. Detroit won 62 games in 95-96, but the very next year they only won 38 games with mostly the same roster, and that was with adding the missing piece our team needed in Brendan Shanahan. It is possible teams play them just a little harder because they have a target on their back, coupled with maybe the players feel just little more pressure to repeat such a great season. Also hurts, that Vasy isn't playing really well right now, and even good teams need pretty good goaltending.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Because this is wild to me, this team went from winning 62 games to being 3 points out of 3rd in the Atlantic 7 back of the wildcard and now face what is basically a MUST win on Monday against Florida.

What's wrong with Tampa?
How does it feel to be only one point ahead of Tampa despite playing 2 more games?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Honestly it seems to be a thing that happens to teams when they have an over the top amazing season. Detroit won 62 games in 95-96, but the very next year they only won 38 games with mostly the same roster, and that was with adding the missing piece our team needed in Brendan Shanahan. It is possible teams play them just a little harder because they have a target on their back, coupled with maybe the players feel just little more pressure to repeat such a great season. Also hurts, that Vasy isn't playing really well right now, and even good teams need pretty good goaltending.

Agree about having a target on their back and getting almost every teams best game. I also think that they have tried to change a few things in how they play. Their last few playoff series have seen their goal scoring go dry and they have had issues playing bigger teams that uses the trap and can produce offense. I don't know if they go far or win it but it's good to know they realize that what they were doing wasn't working. Hope it does this time..

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016
Nothing wrong with Tampa
•Regulation wins - T-3rd
•Goal differential - 5th
•5v5 shot share - 4th
•5v5 chance share - 2nd
•5v5 expected goal share - 2nd
•Power play goals/60 - 1st
•Time leading - 2nd most
•Time trailing - 2nd least

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
They struggled a lot in October. Their play really turned around on the Sweden trip, but then their goaltending started failing them. Now the goaltending is shaping up, it seems, and every report we get about the underlying numbers is pretty glowing.
the underlying numbers were bad in october and have been good since. the goaltending was a problem and has improved as of late.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
2 weeks ago "these are must win games or Tampa is out of the playoffs!!"

Now: Tampa with a better pts % than Toronto, Carolina or even Vegas who is leading the Pacific.

Like i said then, they could've dicked around for a month or two more before turning up the heat and still being in the fight.

They've never dropped below 55 pts % all season long that i can remember (60 guarantees a spot). Despite their 'struggles' they never imploded and have been in range of striking since day 1. It's those games in hand that created the illusion that "oh no Tampa is way down in the standings".

People were blowing it out of proportion. Tampa didn't have a lot of games played in October compared to a lot of the league. They were always in a pretty comfortable spot to be honest even when they were slumping by their standards.

Anyone that doesn't think this team is making the playoffs is absolutely bonkers. There's always a small chance they could miss of course, but it's super unlikely. They're just too good. Maybe this hit of struggle early will give them then mental boost to push further in the playoffs. Personally I would not be shocked if they won it all this year and if I were betting they'd be the team I would put my money on.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Not one bit concerned, even if they do pass Toronto eventually Toronto will get it back.
Why would the worse team eventually catch back up? The only reason Toronto is “leading” is by playing 3 more games so far. Based on P% Tampa has a nice lead already

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think there is and I think this is it especially if Toronto wins because if that happens that means Tampa would be 6 back of Toronto and 5 back of Florida.

That is quite the hole and I know the blues did it but the first signs of life happened in December.

Tampa has shown NO signs of life.
Tampa has some games in hand. 2 or 3, cannot recall. They are just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad