We need to talk about Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Truth be told that says as much about the Islanders and the Bruins as anything else. Jon Cooper is rarely out-coached in games against Boston anymore because he figured out very quickly that Brayden Point is like the kryptonite to their Superman 1st line combo. As I type this I am absolutely dying to know what our record is against Boston since at or around the start of 2017 when Point finally got the hang of the NHL level. For all his faults Jon Cooper doesn't have a big problem getting the right matchups. With Boston all you gotta do is ice the Point line and they're toast. But against the Islanders rolling 4 lines deep committed to DPE levels of defending? Holy God.... good luck man. For most teams you better hope the Islanders just don't score first or you can set your watch to a loss.

As a Bruins fan, this is true. Tampa has had there number for a while now. Them and Washington both do.

We've won one game against you since that playoff series

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We do need to talk about how good they have been since this thread was started....

I thought for sure Boston was running away with the division. Im not so sure. Either way, I just hope we make the playoffs. Division would be nice but I dont think its as important after getting swept and winning the presidents trophy. We just need to play well when it matters.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I thought for sure Boston was running away with the division. Im not so sure. Either way, I just hope we make the playoffs. Division would be nice but I dont think its as important after getting swept and winning the presidents trophy. We just need to play well when it matters.

7 points back with 2 games in hand, and at this rate, you aint losing those games. They play each other two more times as well so I’d say it’s pretty likely you end up passing the Bruins even if you slow down a little.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

3FDB750B-BEAA-4C79-9EBD-C54E36BC84FB.jpeg

100 to win 9200. Need some things to go right but Tampa being at 8 was ridiculous for December 29th. They’re at 3.25 now

Reactions: feffan

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Truth be told that says as much about the Islanders and the Bruins as anything else. Jon Cooper is rarely out-coached in games against Boston anymore because he figured out very quickly that Brayden Point is like the kryptonite to their Superman 1st line combo. As I type this I am absolutely dying to know what our record is against Boston since at or around the start of 2017 when Point finally got the hang of the NHL level. For all his faults Jon Cooper doesn't have a big problem getting the right matchups. With Boston all you gotta do is ice the Point line and they're toast. But against the Islanders rolling 4 lines deep committed to DPE levels of defending? Holy God.... good luck man. For most teams you better hope the Islanders just don't score first or you can set your watch to a loss.
Starting with & including the playoff series in 2018, the Lightning are 9-2 vs. the Bruins.

From the end of the 2011 series to the start of the 2018 series, the Bruins were 20-7-1 against the Lightning.

We definitely match up much better with Brayden Point against their top line. Bruins games used to be a catastrophe.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
All trolling aside, I just do not understand how anyone can respect Tampa. Seriously. They've shown time and time again that they can't get it done when it matters the most. Like, yeah, 10 years down the road I'll probably look back on these consistent deep runs and incredible regular seasons and have good memories, but like. They fail when the stakes are the highest. They shrink when the lights are brightest. Hey, cool, you beat a strong Boston team and then absolutely laid down against your next opponent. Hey, cool, you are putting together some wins and the team is looking good.

They should not, for any reason, on any planet, be considered a favorite for anything. They've should have lost that respect among hockey fans after last season. Honestly, they should have lost it after how they went out against the Caps. It doesn't mean things can't change and they can break the pattern, but it just blows my mind that anyone would think of this team and core as anything other than massive disappointments right now.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
7 points back with 2 games in hand, and at this rate, you aint losing those games. They play each other two more times as well so I’d say it’s pretty likely you end up passing the Bruins even if you slow down a little.

Believe it when I see it. Bruins dont lose often either. It could be a fight till the end. Honestly that might bode well for both teams as it would keep them engaged. TB struggled early in season when their schedule was scattered and not as consistent as it has been. Looked like they were trying to come back from a bye week every time. Not the biggest reason for the slow start but was annoying to say the least.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
As a Bruins fan, this is true. Tampa has had there number for a while now. Them and Washington both do.

We've won one game against you since that playoff series

That's not gonna last forever. Boston's problems against the Lightning are only as deep as getting another top 6 forward in support of Bergeron and co. Krejci just needs a consistent linemate and it's gonna be absolute hell for the Lightning to beat the Bruins on a consistent basis again. If they add said top 6 forward they're gonna be a HARD matchup in a potential playoff series should both teams make it.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Starting with & including the playoff series in 2018, the Lightning are 9-2 vs. the Bruins.

From the end of the 2011 series to the start of the 2018 series, the Bruins were 20-7-1 against the Lightning.

We definitely match up much better with Brayden Point against their top line. Bruins games used to be a catastrophe.

Yeah dude you're not kidding. In terms of being absolutely dominated, I think only the Sabres in the mid 2000's really did it better. Seemed like any given night against us Tomas Vanek would score a hat trick or 2 goals in a 6-2 whooping and for every 10 games they'd go 8-1-1. Special mention to Ottawa in the "Pizza Line" days. It was a brief stretch for both teams but those were "scheduled losses" that I could all but guarantee myself. On the flip side I think we at one point beat the Flyers something like 12 times in a row shortly after the season-ending lockout in 2004

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA

For sure winning the Division isn't everything but I'd rather avoid the Bruins playing either Toronto or Tampa in the first round (especially how dangerous they have looked lately). Tampa doing all of this without McDonagh is all the more impressive. Along with guaranteed home ice advantage against the winner of a potential Tampa-Toronto series would also be crucial even if making it out of the first round isn't a given.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah dude you're not kidding. In terms of being absolutely dominated, I think only the Sabres in the mid 2000's really did it better. Seemed like any given night against us Tomas Vanek would score a hat trick or 2 goals in a 6-2 whooping and for every 10 games they'd go 8-1-1. Special mention to Ottawa in the "Pizza Line" days. It was a brief stretch for both teams but those were "scheduled losses" that I could all but guarantee myself. On the flip side I think we at one point beat the Flyers something like 12 times in a row shortly after the season-ending lockout in 2004
If Boston signs Vanek and Tomas Vokoun we'll never win against them again.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I wonder if there is a veteran rental to get as the "final piece of the puzzle".

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I wonder if there is a veteran rental to get as the "final piece of the puzzle".
We've been accruing cap space all year and have 3 1st round picks in the next 2 seasons (plus likely getting a good pick when we move Killorn this offseason). I wouldn't be shocked if they go for a Kreider or Pageau (if he's being moved) to fill out the middle six.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
We've been accruing cap space all year and have 3 1st round picks in the next 2 seasons (plus likely getting a good pick when we move Killorn this offseason). I wouldn't be shocked if they go for a Kreider or Pageau (if he's being moved) to fill out the middle six.
Move Killorn?? Why?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
For sure winning the Division isn't everything but I'd rather avoid the Bruins playing either Toronto or Tampa in the first round (especially how dangerous they have looked lately). Tampa doing all of this without McDonagh is all the more impressive. Along with guaranteed home ice advantage against the winner of a potential Tampa-Toronto series would also be crucial even if making it out of the first round isn't a given.

Agree it would definitely help. I wouldnt be upset if we won the division.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
All trolling aside, I just do not understand how anyone can respect Tampa. Seriously. They've shown time and time again that they can't get it done when it matters the most. Like, yeah, 10 years down the road I'll probably look back on these consistent deep runs and incredible regular seasons and have good memories, but like. They fail when the stakes are the highest. They shrink when the lights are brightest. Hey, cool, you beat a strong Boston team and then absolutely laid down against your next opponent. Hey, cool, you are putting together some wins and the team is looking good.

They should not, for any reason, on any planet, be considered a favorite for anything. They've should have lost that respect among hockey fans after last season. Honestly, they should have lost it after how they went out against the Caps. It doesn't mean things can't change and they can break the pattern, but it just blows my mind that anyone would think of this team and core as anything other than massive disappointments right now.
Haha yeah, alright man. Sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad