Salary Cap: We are looking for nuclear Kessels. And whales. Beam me up, Scotty Bowman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, I don't see Toronto retaining salary either given how much term is still left on the deal but they're definitely going to have to take one or both of Scuds and Kunitz for this deal to work.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Would you guys do a drouin for pouliot swap?

Personally, not interested.

If the Pens trade Pouliot, they need a young, established top 6 winger coming back likely for a package including Pouliot.

Drouin isn't established and has sufficient question marks that I'd rather take my chances on Pouliot's development and value than his.

EDIT:
In addition, in terms of skillset, Pouliot's PPQB ability is sorely lacking with the Pens and a relatively rare ability. Although even less established, far more risky, and probably less talented, the Pens only top 6 winger prospects (Kapanen and Sprong) in many ways replicate Drouin's skillset (and weaknesses).

Last edited:

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Personally, not interested.

If the Pens trade Pouliot, they need a young, established top 6 winger coming back likely for a package including Pouliot.

Drouin isn't established and has sufficient question marks that I'd rather take my chances on Pouliot's development and value than his.

Drouin is a godly prospect. Pouliot is an excellent prospect but you take Drouin every single time.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Drouin is a godly prospect. Pouliot is an excellent prospect but you take Drouin every single time.

If Drouin were a godly prospect then he'd be making an impact on the NHL not being scratched in the playoffs.

Pouliot's skillset is worth more to the Pens as a trade asset or player than Drouin's potential.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
To be honest, i'd rather spend 4.5-5 or so on Franson, who is 27, 6'5", and shoots the puck 10x harder, then spending it on Martin.

Franson's a bonehead and a liability in his own zone a lot of the time because of his absolutely mindboggling dumb decisions with the puck. At least Martin can defend.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
If Drouin were a godly prospect then he'd be making an impact on the NHL not being scratched in the playoffs.

Pouliot's skillset is worth more to the Pens as a trade asset or player than Drouin's potential.

Drouin played 70 NHL games as a 19 year old.

I'm not even going to compare him to Pouliot because I don't want to come off like I'm against DP but Drouin is still a baby and a godly prospect.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Immediately. I would probably do KK+Pouliot for Drouin. He is that good

That's incredibly stupid asset management, is this Morehouse? Serious question.

I question Drouins attitude, he's an entitled brat and I would not move DP for him either.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
And because people assume depth = guys like Dupuis making almost $4M/yr on the 3rd or 4th line.

It's not hard, but we'd have to commit to youth and ELCs, and develop players.

Really? I'll wait while you find a post somewhere that's said anything like that.

And to have young players on ELCs, by large you have to draft them. Which means unless you get extremely lucky, you need 1st and 2nd round picks to draft said players.

Last edited:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I do feel like Oshie, while not Kessel, is getting underestimated here. He's been a productive player playing for a coach whose system tends to limit creativity, skill and points. if he can put up 50 an 60 pt seasons under ken hitchcock with backes as his best linemate (no offense to backes i love the guy but he's not a top flight center) i would love to see what he can do with sid or geno.

While I would love to see one of these dream scenarios where we loose kunitz/scuds get Kessel and don't loose maata, I just can't see it happening.

And if Weds morning comes around and Kessel isn't on a plane to pittsburgh I would have no problem with Oshie being plan B

Agreed. :thumbu:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
To be honest, i'd rather spend 4.5-5 or so on Franson, who is 27, 6'5", and shoots the puck 10x harder, then spending it on Martin.

Seriously? Martin is also someone who can play 25 minutes a night. You don't want Franson playing 20 minutes - unless a very big chunk of those are on the PP.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't have a problem with Oshie but I am a bit leery. He'll be 29 in December and has only had one 20 goal season. Granted he would have likely hit 20 goals in numerous other years if he played the full 82 but he still seems to peak goals-wise in the low 20's. He also seems like another 5'11" guy with questionable skating. We already have our fill of those. I will say his overall point totals have mostly been fine though.

I guess I would take Oshie if all he costs is something around Sutter + but Pouliot and Maatta would be off limits for a guy like him if it were up to me.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
I don't have a problem with Oshie but I am a bit leery. He'll be 29 in December and has only had one 20 goal season. Granted he would have likely hit 20 goals in numerous other years if he played the full 82 but he still seems to peak goals-wise in the low 20's. He also seems like another 5'11" guy with questionable skating. We already have our fill of those. I will say his overall point totals have mostly been fine though.

I guess I would take Oshie if all he costs is something around Sutter + but Pouliot and Maatta would be off limits for a guy like him if it were up to me.

Agreed, there is no way we give up DP or OM for Oshie. For Kessel yes, Oshie no way!

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Average skaters do well in the West, they get exploited like crazy in the East. While Oshie would be a huge upgrade, I don't think he'd fit Sid or Geno. Right now I'd think about packaging Perron and Sutter + that first next year for Kessel.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Personally hope the Pens and Flames stay away from Franson. Hes going to get badly overpaid and is overrated. Id like to see both Scuderi and Lovejoy dumped for whatever possible and Martin retained for a couple more years. Let the kids fill out the rest of the blueline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad