OT - NO POLITICS We’ve entered the ‘ber’ months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. What time is bed time?
2. If you were in a band, would you want to be lead vocal, lead guitar, or drummer?
3. Have you had what you'd call a defining moment in your life to this point? If you're comfortable to do so, talk to us about it.
4. Do you like your birth name? Why or why not?
5. Of the various cultures, ethnicities or nationalities you belong to, which most strongly do you consider yourself?
1. Totally depends on the week and day of the week. Like this week, where I'm fitting 60 work hours into 4 work days, bed time has been between 1 and 3 am. Weekends is around 1, when we get tired enough to not start another episode of Suits. During a normal week, it's around 11.
2. Definitely the lead guitarist. Don't have to be the center of attention all the time, only when I want to be. Which is odd, because I puttered around with the bass back in high school.
3. I'm of the opinion that we are the amalgamation of many moments in life, so none of them really "defines" me. Maybe that means I haven't had that "defining" moment yet.
4. Yes. I like having a less common name. The place I'm working has two other Trevors and I'm faced with the same thing people like the Dans and Kates of the world deal with every day - hearing (or reading) your name and then realizing they were talking about a different person. Could also have been much worse. Apparently, my mom was also considering Tolliver as a name.
5. By DNA, I'm mostly Scottish, and that's what I most strongly associate myself with. I have my clan's crest tattooed on my calf, and have been looking at another Scottish-themed tattoo. I may or may not have a bunch of kilt-related websites bookmarked.

A week late.

A truck got wedged under a bridge in Brighton on Friday.
I find it hilarious, that even when not actually on Storrow Drive, "Storrowed" is the appropriate word to use.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Don't know where to put this but OT seems like the most logical place.

Just bought a new car and with it came Sirius XM, Never experienced this before. My understanding is that they carry "some" NHL games. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what to expect. Like in as how many games, what is the quality like , from which feed , that kind of thing? Thanks in advance. .

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
You can insert any location and this would be true of all of them!!!
That's one thing we noticed right away here in AZ - they do roads right. The first two years we were here, I was still travelling, and every week, on the way to and from the airport, I could actually see the progress on a new highway interchange, which was part of a highway extension around a big part of the city. not sure why, but road construction is actually really good here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kovi and BMC

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Don't know where to put this but OT seems like the most logical place.

Just bought a new car and with it came Sirius XM, Never experienced this before. My understanding is that they carry "some" NHL games. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what to expect. Like in as how many games, what is the quality like , from which feed , that kind of thing? Thanks in advance. .
Sirius XM has the main NHL channel (channel 91), and about a half dozen PBP channels (starting around 220). Channel 91 has hockey talk all day, and plays the most interesting game of the day's PBP. Other games will be broadcast on the other PBP channels, though with a limited number of channels, on days with a really busy game schedule, some may not get broadcast. The feed is pretty much always the home team's radio team. It's generally a few seconds behind real time, but never behind enough that I get goal notifications on the NHL app before I hear them on the Sirius broadcast.

Reactions: JOKER 192

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
My sciatica was so bad, I probably could have used opiates, even though I hate them. But they just don't prescribe them any more. 10 years ago they would've sent me home with a 90 day supply of Oxycontin with 4 refills.

Well count your blessings bro. I lost a buddy to that shit. It's no joke . I have on again and off again sciatica but I would never consider that as an option.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Well count your blessings bro. I lost a buddy to that shit. It's no joke . I have on again and off again sciatica but I would never consider that as an option.

Oh I know. I wouldn't have taken them, as much as I needed them. I don't like the feeling I get from opiates, and I steer clear from anything addictive. I'm just glad they aren't handing them out like candy anymore.

Reactions: BMC and JOKER 192

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Sirius XM has the main NHL channel (channel 91), and about a half dozen PBP channels (starting around 220). Channel 91 has hockey talk all day, and plays the most interesting game of the day's PBP. Other games will be broadcast on the other PBP channels, though with a limited number of channels, on days with a really busy game schedule, some may not get broadcast. The feed is pretty much always the home team's radio team. It's generally a few seconds behind real time, but never behind enough that I get goal notifications on the NHL app before I hear them on the Sirius broadcast.

So if I'm getting your vibe here , this is audio only.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
We are under a severe Thunderstorm warning. There have been a couple of BIG cracks of thunder.

“We were positive that we were going to change the world,” the 84-year-old said of the “hippie dippy glory days” when he ruled Boston’s morning airwaves. “Unfortunately, the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.”
Born in 1938 in Milford, Laquidara hosted the morning drive-time staple “The Big Mattress” on WBCN, 104.1 FM, from 1972 to 1995 (minus a two-year hiatus from the station), beginning in an era when terrestrial “underground radio” was as ubiquitous as Spotify and earbuds today.

“At the time, you could go from Boston to Cambridge and you wouldn’t need [your own] radio because every school, every dormitory, every factory, every store, every retail store, every car driving by, every kid holding a portable radio had BCN on,” Laquidara says.
I was working nights. Dinah Vaprin was working mornings. At that time, nights were when people listened to underground radio. So Dinah Vaprin asked at a meeting: “Why do women always get the morning shift? The [expletive] shift.” I yelled out, “There’s no such thing as a bad shift, Dinah, you should be happy with what you got!” And she said, “Well then you take morning . . .” I said, “I will!” And I did.

After the meeting was over, I said to the program director, “What did I just do?”
I remember listening to him. 84...WOW the time has flown.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. What time is bed time? 10-12
2. If you were in a band, would you want to be lead vocal, lead guitar, or drummer? Lead vocal because I like to sing. I don't sing in front of others though
3. Have you had what you'd call a defining moment in your life to this point? If you're comfortable to do so, talk to us about it. The birth of my daughter...My parents leaving this earth
4. Do you like your birth name? Why or why not? I would not have named myself Susan (too many others at that time) but it isn't that important
5. Of the various cultures, ethnicities or nationalities you belong to, which most strongly do you consider yourself? English, Scottish, Wales and Native American
See above

Reactions: caz16

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Mine started doing the same thing recently as well. It's 3 1/2 years old as well, so it might just be standard battery life. I even bought a portable charger recently, because my phone wasn't making it through a round of golf just using the scoring app. I like my phone, and really like not having a phone payment, but it's almost feeling like time to get a new one. Which is probably manufacturer intention in the first place.

Ah, yes. "Manufactured obsolescence."

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
just passed my area.hitting the disc golf course now

better make it a quick one.

and bring a hard hat.

Route 20 Western & Central Mass Weather

32m ·

Posted at 3 pm Friday 9/8/2023: We are not even close to being done with the thunderstorm threat for today.
While the first batch of strong to severe thunderstorms is now exiting to the northeast, a new batch of strong to severe thunderstorms are now pushing northeastward from southeastern New York State and northern New Jersey.
Based on the northeastward movement of these storms, it appears that strong to severe thunderstorms will be a threat once again across all of Western and Central Mass beginning about 6 pm this evening and continuing until about midnight tonight. These storms will pose a risk for wind gusts of up to 50-60 mph, pea to penny size hail, torrential downpours and frequent lightning.
I am watching these storms closely and will have updates as needed.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
My favorites too.

Sept...still some Summer
Oct...Fall...Peak leaf beauty....HOCKEY STARTS!!!
Nov...The chill in the air. Bare trees....Stark beauty
Dec...First snow....

For me, it's all of that, and more.

Because of the school schedule, I always associated September with the beginning of the year.

Then it's on fall foliage, cool, crisp evenings with a hint of autumn incense; the return of hockey and the Bruins, early season games that aren't yet important, as it were, so you can relax and enjoy; most of my immediate family birthdays fall in October, November and December; Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas.

I wish I could substitute Boston for New York, but the sentiment is the same,

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
1. Totally depends on the week and day of the week. Like this week, where I'm fitting 60 work hours into 4 work days, bed time has been between 1 and 3 am. Weekends is around 1, when we get tired enough to not start another episode of Suits. During a normal week, it's around 11.
2. Definitely the lead guitarist. Don't have to be the center of attention all the time, only when I want to be. Which is odd, because I puttered around with the bass back in high school.
3. I'm of the opinion that we are the amalgamation of many moments in life, so none of them really "defines" me. Maybe that means I haven't had that "defining" moment yet.
4. Yes. I like having a less common name. The place I'm working has two other Trevors and I'm faced with the same thing people like the Dans and Kates of the world deal with every day - hearing (or reading) your name and then realizing they were talking about a different person. Could also have been much worse. Apparently, my mom was also considering Tolliver as a name.
5. By DNA, I'm mostly Scottish, and that's what I most strongly associate myself with. I have my clan's crest tattooed on my calf, and have been looking at another Scottish-themed tattoo. I may or may not have a bunch of kilt-related websites bookmarked.

I find it hilarious, that even when not actually on Storrow Drive, "Storrowed" is the appropriate word to use.
Things his wife did not know and will now use to the utmost advantage

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The Ber months in East Texas:

Sept. Hot as hell, but not as bad as August
Oct. Still hot, but some cooler mornings
Nov. Some hot days, some really nice days, a little chilly at night
Dec. Cool, like a New England early October, but possibilities of some 80+ degree days, leaves fallen by middle of the month to return in late Feb.

Reactions: BMC and Kovi

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The Ber months in East Texas:

Sept. Hot as hell, but not as bad as August
Oct. Still hot, but some cooler mornings
Nov. Some hot days, some really nice days, a little chilly at night
Dec. Cool, like a New England early October, but possibilities of some 80+ degree days, leaves fallen by middle of the month to return in late Feb.
You need to move to New England!

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You need to move to New England!
I was born and partly raised in NH and I'll never go back for more than a visit in the summertime. I am a baby with cold weather. I consider where I live to be too cold for decent life in February :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad