OT - NO POLITICS We’ve entered the ‘ber’ months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It's definitely the right one, there is absolutely NO cartilage there at all. I do have a high threshold for pain, it's just the humidity aggravates it. Last Friday for example was warm but dry. My hips hurt but nothing like now.

Don't worry I'm sure I'll be pestering you with questions the closer I get to the surgery! :)
No problem!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My sciatica was so bad, I probably could have used opiates, even though I hate them. But they just don't prescribe them any more. 10 years ago they would've sent me home with a 90 day supply of Oxycontin with 4 refills.

When I had rotator cuff surgery I had bad reactions to morphine & Demerol, both made me vomit. So they put me on Percocet and that was worse, I ended up in the ER with a blocked bladder & bowel. Needless to say I'm not really a fan of opiates and of course Oxycontin is incredibly addicting. I don't think they even prescribe it anymore. On second thought maybe I should just stick to the muscle relaxant & Advil regimen!!!

Reactions: GordonHowe

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I lived in Dana Point for several years in the 70s as kid, and also spent a couple years in Irvine as a teenager.
the humidity in irvine has been 80-90% this summer. the last two summers have been brutal

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
the humidity in irvine has been 80-90% this summer. the last two summers have been brutal
8% today here. But the summer was still brutal. Forecast says about 4 more days of real heat, then down around 100-101 for the foreseeable future.

I was supposed to spend much of the summer of 2020 in OC - I started a contract with Hoag Hospital in March 2020, and was looking forward to spending some time in my old stomping grounds (lifeguard tower #5 at Huntington Beach). Of course, I never went back onsite, and have traveled one week since.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
My beer league team is mostly leafs fan given where I am - I’m feeling spicy tonight kids, let’s see where this goes

IMG_1667.png

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
A coworker found out I crochet and asked if I would make her two doilies to give as gifts. I hadn't made any in a while, it was kind of fun to get back into it.

I hate blocking them though lol. (Stretching and pinning them so they stay flat.)

20230907_223447.jpg

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Samsung Galaxy A51

This is the longest I've had a phone.; I usually trade up every two years when I'm eligible for an upgrade. But Verizon has changed their whole model because they want you on payment plans, so it's not like it used to be when you could go on black friday and get the next-to-latest model for like $1.

They also keep sending me ads for a free phone with trade-in but then you go to the website and the fine print is that they don't accept my current phone as a qualifying trade-in so it'd still be $45 a month for 36 months, and I don't want to do that.

I'm probably going to change carriers by the end of the year (I'm still part of my family's plan but I should probably spin off into my own separate plan) so I might take a look at other carriers and see if anyone's offering free phones as incentive to switch.
I've been with Verizon a long time but that whole "free phone" ad feels like nothing but a gigantic bait and switch. They did the same thing to me a couple years ago when I got this phone. As long as this one keeps working well I'm going to keep it.

I still think the whole "monthly payments and financing" for a phone is ridiculous. I'm not buying a Mercedes.

I'm officially old, my need for the "latest and greatest" just ain't there anymore.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

“We were positive that we were going to change the world,” the 84-year-old said of the “hippie dippy glory days” when he ruled Boston’s morning airwaves. “Unfortunately, the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.”
Born in 1938 in Milford, Laquidara hosted the morning drive-time staple “The Big Mattress” on WBCN, 104.1 FM, from 1972 to 1995 (minus a two-year hiatus from the station), beginning in an era when terrestrial “underground radio” was as ubiquitous as Spotify and earbuds today.

“At the time, you could go from Boston to Cambridge and you wouldn’t need [your own] radio because every school, every dormitory, every factory, every store, every retail store, every car driving by, every kid holding a portable radio had BCN on,” Laquidara says.
I was working nights. Dinah Vaprin was working mornings. At that time, nights were when people listened to underground radio. So Dinah Vaprin asked at a meeting: “Why do women always get the morning shift? The [expletive] shift.” I yelled out, “There’s no such thing as a bad shift, Dinah, you should be happy with what you got!” And she said, “Well then you take morning . . .” I said, “I will!” And I did.

After the meeting was over, I said to the program director, “What did I just do?”

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
When I had rotator cuff surgery I had bad reactions to morphine & Demerol, both made me vomit. So they put me on Percocet and that was worse, I ended up in the ER with a blocked bladder & bowel. Needless to say I'm not really a fan of opiates and of course Oxycontin is incredibly addicting. I don't think they even prescribe it anymore. On second thought maybe I should just stick to the muscle relaxant & Advil regimen!!!
That is what they gave me. They don't give you many. I wanted off asap because I wanted to drive.

Reactions: BMC

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. What time is bed time?
2. If you were in a band, would you want to be lead vocal, lead guitar, or drummer?
3. Have you had what you'd call a defining moment in your life to this point? If you're comfortable to do so, talk to us about it.
4. Do you like your birth name? Why or why not?
5. Of the various cultures, ethnicities or nationalities you belong to, which most strongly do you consider yourself?

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I don't blame you for wanting to get off it early. I think that drug should be pulled from use. Too many people got hooked on it very quickly.
They asked some pretty tough questions before it was prescribed.

Bottom line you need (for the first week) to keep the pain level down to a dull roar. If you have not had any addiction issues (including alcohol) you are probably a low risk. Also, they don't give you many and if you think you need more you have to go to see the surgeon in person to justify needing more. I felt my doctor was very responsible, but it is sad that some are not.

I believe IF the doctors use Oxy correctly and don't hand it out like candy it can be an effective pain killer. The problem (IMO) some "doctors" make $$ on giving it to people who don't need it and shouldn't use it.

If your surgeon is good they will do what is best.

The fact that you are worried about it means you are probably going to take it with care.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
That is what they gave me. They don't give you many. I wanted off asap because I wanted to drive.
The Netflix miniseries on Oxy was quite interesting. Not sure 100% accurate but close enough to make you say WTF well more than once if even a 10th is true and I don't doubt that and more...

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
it depends on the day. Typically 10:00

2. If you were in a band, would you want to be lead vocal, lead guitar, or drummer?

zero musical talent. Nada. Back up singer with mic off.

3. Have you had what you'd call a defining moment in your life to this point? If you're comfortable to do so, talk to us about it.

the moment they handed my first born to me in the delivery room. My life changed forever.
he was first. My wife second. And I am third.

In my youth ‘no’. My name here goes back to the zillion of times I heard “gee Wally” growing up. Or with dates “ hey, it’s Wally and The Beaver”. But later in life I realized it was a homage to my Dad and namesake. The best man I have ever known. So much so he was my Best Man on my wedding day.

5. Of the various cultures, ethnicities or nationalities you belong to, which most strongly do you consider yourself?

Probably Italian. My mom was Italian and we therefore grew up in an Italian household and culture. With just a bit of my Dad’s Portuguese heritage sprinkled in.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I had to stop Advil 2 weeks before the surgery and couldn't take until 2 weeks after.

You will need something stronger for a week after.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The Netflix miniseries on Oxy was quite interesting. Not sure 100% accurate but close enough to make you say WTF well more than once if even a 10th is true and I don't doubt that and more...
I did not see it.

I did some research on surgeons before I had the operation. I like and trust my doctor.

Unfortunately, some hand oxy to folks who shouldn't take it.

Reactions: GordonHowe

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

Oooh, I forgot it was time for your questions! I love this idea so much!!

1) I am a very early riser, no matter what I do, I'm up before dawn....so bedtime is about 9:30
2) If talent wasn't an issue, I would love to be lead guitar.
3) Losing my Mom to suicide, it changed my outlook on life.
4) I don't like it much, it is a very dated name and was very common when I went to school.
5) Born a Brit and love my roots but I am fully Canadian and equally proud of that.

Don't forget to answer too @NeelyDan

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

That's what I did with my 3 shoulder surgeries. Never bothered to fill the Rx they gave me and just went with 800mg doses of Ibuprofen.

Wasn't about being tough, was about refusing opiates. I watched my close friend/roommate in college go from getting oxy prescribed for a sprained wrist to being dead from a heroin OD in just 18 months.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. I go upstairs at 8. I watch tv and scroll or read, but it's my time. I'm usually asleep by 10.
2. I'd love to play the drums but I have zero musical inclination
3. I think I've had a series of defining moments that have defined pieces or phases of my life. Most recently, I finally sat down with my father and told him that I have never felt comfortable around his "new" family (that he's been a part of since I was 2), that I'm not going to pretend otherwise to keep the peace anymore, and I'm putting myself and my emotional wellbeing first. That if he wants a relationship, it's going to be 1:1 but I'm done trying to be a square peg in a round hole.
4. I do.
5. Irish. I'm Irish and Portuguese on my dad's side and Scottish, English, and Welsh on my mom's. I look Irish (light brown hair, blue eyes, freckles), my paternal grandmother was 100% Irish and I was incredibly close with her, and we are involved with our local Irish American club (despite my husband being Italian).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad