OT - NO POLITICS We’ve entered the ‘ber’ months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Samsung Galaxy A51

This is the longest I've had a phone.; I usually trade up every two years when I'm eligible for an upgrade. But Verizon has changed their whole model because they want you on payment plans, so it's not like it used to be when you could go on black friday and get the next-to-latest model for like $1.

They also keep sending me ads for a free phone with trade-in but then you go to the website and the fine print is that they don't accept my current phone as a qualifying trade-in so it'd still be $45 a month for 36 months, and I don't want to do that.

I'm probably going to change carriers by the end of the year (I'm still part of my family's plan but I should probably spin off into my own separate plan) so I might take a look at other carriers and see if anyone's offering free phones as incentive to switch.

Verizon, like Disney, like Google, like Amazon, like Facebook, like Musk, is the devil.

Run for the hills and don't look back.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
When I had rotator cuff surgery I had bad reactions to morphine & Demerol, both made me vomit. So they put me on Percocet and that was worse, I ended up in the ER with a blocked bladder & bowel. Needless to say I'm not really a fan of opiates and of course Oxycontin is incredibly addicting. I don't think they even prescribe it anymore. On second thought maybe I should just stick to the muscle relaxant & Advil regimen!!!

Though perhaps more painful, that might be the wisest course of action.

The Sackler settlement (sic) is now up in the air.

I neglected to add them to the list of evil archons in my previous post.

Reactions: BMC

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I was born and partly raised in NH and I'll never go back for more than a visit in the summertime. I am a baby with cold weather. I consider where I live to be too cold for decent life in February :laugh:
You cant shovel sunshine

Reactions: Dr Hook

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
A week late.

A truck got wedged under a bridge in Brighton on Friday.

What always surprises me is that the bridge/underpass holds.

Reactions: BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
1. What time is bed time?

At present, midnight.

2. If you were in a band, would you want to be lead vocal, lead guitar, or drummer?

Actually, I was in a band, several of them. Lead vocalist. No head for guitar. Love to learn the drum.

3. Have you had what you'd call a defining moment in your life to this point? If you're comfortable to do so, talk to us about it.

the moment they handed my first born to me in the delivery room. My life changed forever.
he was first. My wife second. And I am third.

Someone has read Gale Sayers' memoir.

Many defining moments. My father's death when I was nine.
4. Do you like your birth name? Why or why not?

Yes. Mark Gerard. I'm a Francophile (and an Anglophile).

5. Of the various cultures, ethnicities or nationalities you belong to, which most strongly do you consider yourself?

My father was of Albanian descent. My mother, German, Irish, French. I get the chip on my shoulder from my father, no nonsense practicality and aesthetic sensibility from my mother. I identify primarily with my Western European heritage.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
They asked some pretty tough questions before it was prescribed.

Bottom line you need (for the first week) to keep the pain level down to a dull roar. If you have not had any addiction issues (including alcohol) you are probably a low risk. Also, they don't give you many and if you think you need more you have to go to see the surgeon in person to justify needing more. I felt my doctor was very responsible, but it is sad that some are not.

I believe IF the doctors use Oxy correctly and don't hand it out like candy it can be an effective pain killer. The problem (IMO) some "doctors" make $$ on giving it to people who don't need it and shouldn't use it.

If your surgeon is good they will do what is best.

The fact that you are worried about it means you are probably going to take it with care.

That is good to hear.

Actually, doctor's are far more responsible about prescribing opioids today. They understand the risk to patients, and to themselves (malpractice).

Reactions: Ladyfan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
NeelyDan: 11 but I rarely fall asleep
2. I have no musical talent, but lead vocals or front man.
3. Defining moments: baptism as an adult, parent's deaths, tumor/cancer surgery.
4. I like my name. It is solid and simple: Scott. Besides, if I had been a girl, it was Laurel, which I hate.
5. I am a Jewish, Polish/Russian Scottish mixture. (I am named after my Scottish paternal grandmother.)I try and take the best from each ethnicity. I believe in many stereotypes having a basis in truth, and believe this mixture makes me a bit stubborn......Right, HF Boards?

One may say so without fear of contradiction.

And that's just fine. :thumbu:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
They're not getting kickbacks from the Sacklers to overprescribe anymore either

I'm no expert and I won't go into it, but many doctor's have received "kickbacks" of whatever kind for endorsing pharmaceutical products over many years.

Unconscionable.

The Sacklers and their accomplices (CVS, where I used to work, Walgreens, et. al.) have evaded responsibility for their crimes. They should be imprisoned.

IF it were up to me, that would only be the beginning.

Reactions: BMC and caz16

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Brides away with her friends for scrapbooking weekend.

Feels like a Papa Ginos kinda night.

and maybe some mint chocolate chip ice cream later.

:D
My neighbor has to pick up a friend at the Manchester Airport at 10 p.m..She is nervous about driving there at night and asked me if I would go with her.

First, we are going to Carabbas Italian Grille in Bedford NH. I haven't been there for a long time. Great food. I haven't eaten much today so I will have room.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My neighbor has to pick up a friend at the Manchester Airport at 10 p.m..She is nervous about driving there at night and asked me if I would go with her.

First, we are going to Carabbas Italian Grille in Bedford NH. I haven't been there for a long time. Great food. I haven't eaten much today so I will have room.
I wish I could get a flight to Manchester when I visit my family, but I always have to go through Logan. There's absolutely nothing direct to Manchester, anything going there would cost double and have to stop in Charlotte or Philadelphia for 2 hours.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

my oldest boy and his GF are coming by tomorrow to take me out for lunch. ”Since Im alone”.

Nancy texted him and told him to get in touch before he gets here “ so your Dad has pants on”.

lol

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I wish I could get a flight to Manchester when I visit my family, but I always have to go through Logan. There's absolutely nothing direct to Manchester, anything going there would cost double and have to stop in Charlotte or Philadelphia for 2 hours.
My daughter comes in from Calif and always lands in Logan. Manchester is much closer, but she would have to go through another airport, and it isn't worth it. My neighbor's friend is going through Chicago. Hopefully she did not get caught up in the storms.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
That's a tough one. I'd have a different answer every day.

I have a saying " You don't have to shuffle rain or humidity, so there's that.
I figure....you can always put on a jacket, sweats whatever to get warmer, but there is a point as to how naked I can get (my comfort zone max is about 70 - keep house at 64 in summer, 62 in winter)

Reactions: JOKER 192
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad