WCQF: Wild vs. Stars Series Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
Could be worse. We could be a cup favorite about to go down 2-0 at home (LA). But given their history they're not out of it.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
He also used to get out on breaks regularly, was always quick to rip off a very nice wrister, and, God forbid, score once in a while.

I can't explain the nonentity he has become. Perhaps the concussions catching up to him?

He was playing in the bottom 6 when he scored a lot of his goals once they moved him up he has to face tougher opposition that is able to close down his space and take away his speed.His shot isn't bad but it isn't anything extraordinary either and his passing is not so great so he doesn't really create goals from linemates.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Haven't read the thread yet. But as we've been very negative lately (for a reason though), I will start with the positives.

That was a real hockey game! It was a genuine playoff game. Tight game, physical, great PK, good defence, liked Brodin again, great goaltending, everyone was trying, I think I saw lots of effort there. And battle.

They just couldn't capitalize when they had their chances. Nino, Granlund especially. And no luck. Stars were lucky, dat 1st goal.. Well, things happen, no can do.

Then negatives (or realities). We're just not good and skilled enough. Scoring, PP are problems. Scandella's goal was huge though. You have to moove your feet and puck to get some space. Stars' PK is very very active, they give you a lot of pressure. On the other hand, when there's time to shoot.. it would be nice to have Scandy or Dumba there, instead of.. well like Suter for example. He's good at keeping the puck inside the zone and calm it down, but his decision making and those fluffy wristers look depressing.

Granlud did shoot, but weak shots mostly. He can't carry this team. Koivu exists not. Well, in the end he had some chances. Pominville took a penalty, that's pretty much what I saw. Zucker tried hard, so hard. And took a dumb penalty. He looks desperate there, feel kind of sorry for him. He's not getting it done, but he hasn't quit IMO. Coyle had a couple of good plays I think. Not much more.

Of course Lehtonen played great too. Like first time this year? No news, that's what the Wild do.

I wish the first game would've been like this. Then I wouldn't feel as desperate. At least this was a watchable and actually thrilling hockey hockey game.

Last edited:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
That bizarre double-rule-bending soccer goal by Roussel further cements the worthlessness and inconsistency of the Toronto "war room"... but really, if the Wild had actually capitalized on some of the chances they made, it wouldn't have been as big a deal.

Granlund looks pretty good right now and is trying his hardest, but we just really don't have a "game changer" type player, whereas Dallas has like four.

Also, it's kind of funny/tragic: as much as the announcers have made about Parise and Vanek being out, and how much that hurts the Wild's offense, I can't help but think every time I hear it, like "yeah, but we've pretty much already been without them all season anyway."

Alas. Outside of overpaying Stamkos (which would probably be a terrible long-term decision), I'm not really sure how they're going to address the team's major weakness in the offseason.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was playing in the bottom 6 when he scored a lot of his goals once they moved him up he has to face tougher opposition that is able to close down his space and take away his speed.His shot isn't bad but it isn't anything extraordinary either and his passing is not so great so he doesn't really create goals from linemates.

He showed flashes of being a shoot first sniper, which is exactly what this team needs. On top of that, he showed grit along the boards, and his speed got him to places quicker than others.

It's just not there now. He reminds me of Haula last year.

I'm not ready to give up on him. We are lacking forward talent as is, and I don't see any significant talent coming any time soon....Tuch, maybe?

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
I'll question anyone's loyalty when posts are made like one above actively wanting the team to lose in the hopes that maybe changes will be made. That's not loyalty.
All I'm saying is this place has been WAY more depressing than the play of the team could ever be. And if people can vent their displeasure at poor play, then I can vent about what I see as a disgusting fan attitude.

Loyalty? What are you talking about.

I give them money...they provide me with a product.

When the product is sub par. Changes need to be made.

Loyalty to a sports team? They provide a service...when the service is good...they reap the benefits...when it is bad....they get the negativity.

Loyalty has nothing to do with it. Its a transaction.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Just lose 2 more games til this **** show is over with!

I feel the same way. I want this nightmare of a season over with already.

We have things to look forward to in the off season like getting a new coach... is it a coincidence Dallas and Nashville are so good? Not when you look at the coaches of their teams.

We need that type of elite coach. No idea how we get one but we have to get one.

We also need to adjust and tweek the roster.

The sooner we lose, the sooner we get to the off season, make the appropriate adjustments and look forward to the 2016/2017 when we don't slump for ages and have to play catch up and everyone is playing their hearts out every game because the coach won't put up with it otherwise.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012

Loyalty to a sports team? They provide a service...when the service is good...they reap the benefits...when it is bad....they get the negativity.

This is precisely how I feel too.

It doesn't mean you love this team any less. The fans shouldn't be robots, accepting everything that happens and supporting even when things are in nightmare mode. No way. To many of these players, they view it as a business first anyway, so why shouldn't the fans see it that way as well? They are getting paid the millions to give us a good hockey team. Why should we put up with season after season of tanking, catching up just enough to make the playoffs and still going nowhere?

This is a hockey town, hockey state... the team has fans from all around the world who know and understand hockey. We deserve better than this.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

Good or bad to me has nothing to do with it. You aren't guaranteed a good game with your purchase. That's not listed anywhere on your ticket and it is not a part of the service expected. All you get is a game, that's the service. But if you call yourself a fan, loyalty is generally expected to follow, otherwise why do you care whether the "service" is good or bad? No loyalty is formed with the expectation of "good service?" I find that hard to believe.
Actively hoping your team loses just so you can see "changes" is wrong to me and always will be.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
This is a hockey town, hockey state... the team has fans from all around the world who know and understand hockey. We deserve better than this.

Fans don't "deserve" anything. Fans having knowledge does not mean they deserve to have a winning team. It'd be nice sure...but it is not deserved.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Fans don't "deserve" anything. Fans having knowledge does not mean they deserve to have a winning team. It'd be nice sure...but it is not deserved.

I completely disagree with you there. As a resident of the state and one who is being taxed for stadium after stadium in Hennepin County, I damn well better see them put on a good product. The Wild are no exception to this either. We are a hockey first state, not a Wild first state. I go because the NHL is the most elite hockey I can watch on any given night between Oct-Apr.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I completely disagree with you there. As a resident of the state and one who is being taxed for stadium after stadium in Hennepin County, I damn well better see them put on a good product. The Wild are no exception to this either. We are a hockey first state, not a Wild first state. I go because the NHL is the most elite hockey I can watch on any given night between Oct-Apr.

Sorry but paying money has never meant fans deserve to see a good team. That to me shows entitlement...as though fans deserve a title because they pay...which for me couldn't be further from the truth.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He also used to get out on breaks regularly, was always quick to rip off a very nice wrister, and, God forbid, score once in a while.

I can't explain the nonentity he has become. Perhaps the concussions catching up to him?

He's worse than a nonentity, he's become a turnover machine!

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I feel the same way. I want this nightmare of a season over with already.

We have things to look forward to in the off season like getting a new coach... is it a coincidence Dallas and Nashville are so good? Not when you look at the coaches of their teams.

We need that type of elite coach. No idea how we get one but we have to get one.

We also need to adjust and tweek the roster.

The sooner we lose, the sooner we get to the off season, make the appropriate adjustments and look forward to the 2016/2017 when we don't slump for ages and have to play catch up and everyone is playing their hearts out every game because the coach won't put up with it otherwise.

Well, make no mistake: those teams do have great coaches, but they also developed some amazing players. Without that, the head coaches wouldn't have much to work with. Right now I say the Wild's biggest problem is straight up the lack of much if any potential for a scoring machine to come through the pipeline in the next 3 years. Dallas and Nashville have thrived in the drafting/development department despite not having many super high picks. So yeah, we could use a great coach, but very seldom can coaches bleed turnips. IMO we need to clean house with scouting and development and try to mold some good players; ironically (?) Torchetti may actually be one of the better head coaches to have for working with young guys coming into the league, but it's looking more and more like he might not graduate past "interim" status.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Good or bad to me has nothing to do with it. You aren't guaranteed a good game with your purchase. That's not listed anywhere on your ticket and it is not a part of the service expected. All you get is a game, that's the service.

You're right...the other part of that exchange is this.....the team only gets my money...loyalty was never a part of the agreement.

But if you call yourself a fan, loyalty is generally expected to follow, otherwise why do you care whether the "service" is good or bad?

If you call yourself a fan of Italian food, loyalty to Italian food is generally expected to follow. Why do you care if it is good or bad? Do you see why that is a terrible argument?

Actively hoping your team loses just so you can see "changes" is wrong to me and always will be.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Sorry but paying money has never meant fans deserve to see a good team. That to me shows entitlement...as though fans deserve a title because they pay...which for me couldn't be further from the truth.

Expecting fans to pay for a stadium via taxes and just show up and spend money even though the product sucks also smacks of entitlement.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Paying for a stadium will happen whether the team is good or not so that point is moot. I also never said fans had to pay for anything, but if you do pay for it, expecting them to always have a good product is not a reasonable expectation and you will be disappointed more times than not.
Also, your food analogy is off as food is always more consistent than an athlete's or team's performance due to the constants involved in the cooking process.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Expecting fans to pay for a stadium via taxes and just show up and spend money even though the product sucks also smacks of entitlement.

Exactly. If the team sucks enough, people will stop going to it and then the team packs up and goes some place else. Happened before to Minnesota sports.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Exactly. If the team sucks enough, people will stop going to it and then the team packs up and goes some place else. Happened before to Minnesota sports.

No it hasn't. Neither the Lakers nor Stars left because fans stopped going because the team wasn't good enough.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
No it hasn't. Neither the Lakers nor Stars left because fans stopped going because the team wasn't good enough.

For the Stars, they couldn't make a profit. If a product isn't good enough on the ice, be it a bad stadium or a bad team, there is always a risk of them moving.

It's funny that you say that fans don't deserve anything and yet when we mention anything of a rebuild, the argument is that the fan base wouldn't stand for it. So which is it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad