Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
The Gibson and Walman deals are linked and the return, ignoring FC, at this point is Kiiskinen and $3.4M in Cap space each of the next two years. The timing of it suggests there's a plan or at least intent to spend that extra available money soon, when there are a lot of useful things to spend it on.

This whole thing sounds sort of like a guy paying someone $200 to tow away the barely working piece of junk in his driveway, rather than keep it around selling off the parts or hoping some idiot will show up and offer him $500 for it, because he wants the driveway space for a car he's close to buying that actually works. He doesn't really need to pay someone to remove the piece of junk, he could park it on the street or even in the backyard for a while. He'd probably get something for it eventually, even if just for the tires that are in good shape. But he's gonna get rid of it at some point anyway so why f#$k around?
The analogy I picture is a kid running a lemonade stand with a sign that reads, "Lemonade 2.00$ a glass!" A thisty jogger approaches and orders a glass of lemonade. The kid responds, "Here's your lemonade and here's your 2.00$."
When an observer asks why the kid paid the jogger on top of giving him the lemonade, he explains that he wants to clear the lemonade cooler out of the garage to make room for a new car.

I mean, it's a good reason to want to make room in the garage, but he could still take the customer's 2 bucks and still be clearing out the lemonade. It's lemonade, the shit sells itself.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Couple things heading into the draft and July 1…

Walman was always gonna be the wildcard, out of the 3 they want to get rid of. At least on what his return would be…. Make no mistake though, he had almost no chance of returning. He’d played his way into the press box. As a former Dman, and it’s solely my opinion, but I know it’s shared by many “hockey people”….. he’s the most frustrating type of Dman to watch. He has all the physical tools you could want, but drives you nuts NOT doing the basics. Normal things 12 year olds do consistently. The biggest comment I hear? He plays like a roller Dman. Everything is circling and wide open. So frustrating to watch on the ice. Especially because 50% of his mistakes are unforced. All the blind passes, chipping the puck when he should control it, reversing it the wrong direction, etc, etc. It’s always been his problem though. Every team’s known exactly who Walman has been because he’s so physically talented. The Wings just thought he’d finally turned a corner, but went right back to being the player he was in college and St Louis… after he got paid.

You just hoped a team thought better of him than teams obviously did. Now they’ll try getting rid of Holl and Maatta. That’s always been the plan. One should obviously be easier than the other. Holl may have to be bought out. The fact we haven’t heard that yet, tells me someone may have interest. Maybe it’s San Jose on waivers?? Don’t think they want to retain anything with him though. Maatta should be pretty easy to move. I’d heard Utah on him, but Vancouver would be smart to step up and throw the Wings a 3rd, 4th or 5th rounder, if they’re not re-signing Zadorov.

Whether they sign Ghost again, will have a lot to do with what type of Dmen they can add. If he signs this week, that means they don’t have too much confidence they’ll sign/trade for a blue liner with any real offense.

Two names I’ve heard about for months now, other than Roy as a UFA (likely wanting to sign in Detroit if he hit the market, and the money is right) has been Shea Theodore (if Vegas does move him) and the other being Justin Faulk, who there was talk about pre-deadline.

Theodore is the more consistent of the two, but both could add a nice piece to their blue line. Faulk has been the more up and down player, but he’s still a good, role playing dman. Don’t ask him to do too much, and he’ll be a solid Dman for any team.

Roy obviously has been the biggest UFA name connected for obvious reasons. He does participate in some summer skates, etc. So those guys are always speculated to come home. He does like playing in LA though, and would probably re-sign if that deal was right. As of now, looks like he’s hitting the market. With a lot of interest around the league, don’t be surprised if someone sends the Kings a pick, to get his negotiating rights and a jumpstart on signing him. Once that happens, teams can be real convincing.

Like I said, they’re gonna want some offense from one of the two they obtain, and that’s not Roy. If they ended up with Zadorov and Roy, then Edvinsson is gonna have to be more involved offensively, earlier then they have planned. Have heard they were real happy about how he created offense. Whether with his quick puck movement or his transporting the puck.. Just think of that Toronto game. Very few young Dmen have games like that early in a career. So would I be shocked at two Defensive Dmen added? No, but I do think one of them will have some offense to his game, and that’s why we still hear Ghost mentioned so much as well. Know he earned a ton of respect (in the organization) after how he played down the stretch. Especially the last few games. He played a playoff type roll. Can’t take that away from him..

Don’t forget about Brady Skjei either. That would be a sneaky signing someone told me Detroit may sneak in on.

Cernak from Tampa could be another one. Yzerman has traded for him before I believe and Tampa could move a dman.

As for Trouba, I’ve only ever heard of people speculating. As in fans and media types. I know he’d like to play in Detroit at some point, and Yzerman does like that type of dmen, so maybe we should speculate more. All of that group of local players would love to play in Detroit one day. So would Tory Krug and Cam Fowler. Doesn’t mean they ever will. Although, like Petry, it can happen real quick. Fowler would be great to have around, but just think he’s too important for what Anaheim is trying to do with their young Dmen. They need him.

I haven’t heard anyone talking about Pesce or Tanev with Detroit. Doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be interested though. Pesce could also be a great partner for Edvinsson, but think Roy may fit better, because if let’s say ASP is just so great after this year, he’s coming straight to the NHL, Roy can move down to the bottom pairing and actually “carry the pair.” That’s a big deal.

Signing/trading for any of these Dmen AND signing Roy for the money they shaved off the blue line, would be a steal.

You’d be talking about roughly $12 million off the books, and probably adding $11-$12m. Not counting trading for Trouba. That would obviously skew some numbers.

Heard something today about possibly buying out Petry too. He’s so cheap though, they wouldn’t save much. Also heard they could trade Chiarot (if they had to) in one of these deals, to make the money right. They’d prefer he be the leader on their bottom pairing right now though. His name came up talking to someone about Trouba, saying they could see Chiarot going in that trade somehow. Pure speculation from an evaluator though. We do know his name was thrown around last August/September when they were sniffing around Hanifin. The Wings like Chiarot, and to be fair to him, he played well down the stretch with Seider, unlike when he first got to Detroit, and tried leading Seider, rather than supporting Seider.

If they pull off adding two legit, higher end, role playing dmen, for basically money out-money in, they’d still have money for other things, and it would be a coup really. Upgrading for the same money.

Up front? Think they will be in on one big name, and then a secondary scorer type. No clue who that forward will be, but they’d like it to be a C or someone who can drive a line from the wing. Those guys aren’t easy to get though. Even as UFAs. Obviously other teams throw money around too. Reinhart could be a sneaky add, and he can play C. He drives a line. Stamkos is Stamkos. Lindholm can help you the middle. So could Chandler Stephenson. Although I consider him more of a secondary move.

Two names to keep an eye on (on the secondary market) are Anthony Duclair and Jake DeBrusk. DeBrusk goes back to December when Boston was looking at getting Perron, and if people remember, the Wings scouted Boston like 6 games in a row. They were looking at DeBrusk and Lauko mostly. They’d like a secondary winger to replace Perron, but with more speed and the ability to drive that 3rd line IF he’s slumping. A player they can move down the lineup, who can create pace. Both those players can do it. DeBrusk can really do it well, and his pace would be great with Larkin.

The big goal though, is finding two standout partners for their two young minute eaters on the blue line. Partners for the next few years that make their Top 4 very hard to play against. Then let Chiarot, Petry and Johansson, fill out their bottom pairing. Plus upgrading their net if they can.

One other thing to mention.. There was a reason Albert Johansson was playing the right side towards the end of the season in GR.

Good bet he shares time, rotating in and out with Petry, playing with Chiarot… but also don’t be surprised if Johansson gets some time with Seider in training camp, to see how that looks. Obviously that would be back on the left. He’s a very solid player.

To have a player with those wheels, who’s really solid technically, will open things up for Seider.. Or at least it could. Keep an eye on that come camp. Especially if they don’t land that partner for Seider.

They really like Johansson. He won’t get a lot of fanfare but could turn into a player very much like Matt Roy. He does all the little things right defensively. All the things coaches appreciate and fans ignore. Yet every team, every year, does nothing but praise him. His speed and how he processes the game quickly, should help him make a pretty smooth transition into the NHL. We’ll see. Don't sell him short though. Stats aren’t everything.

The main goal though, is to find two really good role players, to play with Seider and Edvinsson moving forward.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
he’s the most frustrating type of Dman to watch. He has all the physical tools you could want, but drives you nuts NOT doing the basics. Normal things 12 year olds do consistently. The biggest comment I hear? He plays like a roller Dman. Everything is circling and wide open. So frustrating to watch on the ice. Especially because 50% of his mistakes are unforced. All the blind passes, chipping the puck when he should control it, reversing it the wrong direction, etc, etc. It’s always been his problem though. Every team’s known exactly who Walman has been because he’s so physically talented. The Wings just thought he’d finally turned a corner, but went right back to being the player he was in college and St Louis… after he got paid.
Jake Walman for Ball Hockey President. :banana::banana::banana:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

Walman was always gonna be the wildcard, out of the 3 they want to get rid of. At least on what his return would be…. Make no mistake though, he had almost no chance of returning. He’d played his way into the press box. As a former Dman, and it’s solely my opinion, but I know it’s shared by many “hockey people”….. he’s the most frustrating type of Dman to watch. He has all the physical tools you could want, but drives you nuts NOT doing the basics. Normal things 12 year olds do consistently. The biggest comment I hear? He plays like a roller Dman. Everything is circling and wide open. So frustrating to watch on the ice. Especially because 50% of his mistakes are unforced. All the blind passes, chipping the puck when he should control it, reversing it the wrong direction, etc, etc. It’s always been his problem though. Every team’s known exactly who Walman has been because he’s so physically talented. The Wings just thought he’d finally turned a corner, but went right back to being the player he was in college and St Louis… after he got paid.

You just hoped a team thought better of him than teams obviously did. Now they’ll try getting rid of Holl and Maatta. That’s always been the plan. One should obviously be easier than the other. Holl may have to be bought out. The fact we haven’t heard that yet, tells me someone may have interest. Maybe it’s San Jose on waivers?? Don’t think they want to retain anything with him though. Maatta should be pretty easy to move. I’d heard Utah on him, but Vancouver would be smart to step up and throw the Wings a 3rd, 4th or 5th rounder, if they’re not re-signing Zadorov.

Whether they sign Ghost again, will have a lot to do with what type of Dmen they can add. If he signs this week, that means they don’t have too much confidence they’ll sign/trade for a blue liner with any real offense.

Two names I’ve heard about for months now, other than Roy as a UFA (likely wanting to sign in Detroit if he hit the market, and the money is right) has been Shea Theodore (if Vegas does move him) and the other being Justin Faulk, who there was talk about pre-deadline.

Theodore is the more consistent of the two, but both could add a nice piece to their blue line. Faulk has been the more up and down player, but he’s still a good, role playing dman. Don’t ask him to do too much, and he’ll be a solid Dman for any team.

Roy obviously has been the biggest UFA name connected for obvious reasons. He does participate in some summer skates, etc. So those guys are always speculated to come home. He does like playing in LA though, and would probably re-sign if that deal was right. As of now, looks like he’s hitting the market. With a lot of interest around the league, don’t be surprised if someone sends the Kings a pick, to get his negotiating rights and a jumpstart on signing him. Once that happens, teams can be real convincing.

Like I said, they’re gonna want some offense from one of the two they obtain, and that’s not Roy. If they ended up with Zadorov and Roy, then Edvinsson is gonna have to be more involved offensively, earlier then they have planned. Have heard they were real happy about how he created offense. Whether with his quick puck movement or his transporting the puck.. Just think of that Toronto game. Very few young Dmen have games like that early in a career. So would I be shocked at two Defensive Dmen added? No, but I do think one of them will have some offense to his game, and that’s why we still hear Ghost mentioned so much as well. Know he earned a ton of respect (in the organization) after how he played down the stretch. Especially the last few games. He played a playoff type roll. Can’t take that away from him..

Don’t forget about Brady Skjei either. That would be a sneaky signing someone told me Detroit may sneak in on.

Cernak from Tampa could be another one. Yzerman has traded for him before I believe and Tampa could move a dman.

As for Trouba, I’ve only ever heard of people speculating. As in fans and media types. I know he’d like to play in Detroit at some point, and Yzerman does like that type of dmen, so maybe we should speculate more. All of that group of local players would love to play in Detroit one day. So would Tory Krug and Cam Fowler. Doesn’t mean they ever will. Although, like Petry, it can happen real quick. Fowler would be great to have around, but just think he’s too important for what Anaheim is trying to do with their young Dmen. They need him.

I haven’t heard anyone talking about Pesce or Tanev with Detroit. Doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be interested though. Pesce could also be a great partner for Edvinsson, but think Roy may fit better, because if let’s say ASP is just so great after this year, he’s coming straight to the NHL, Roy can move down to the bottom pairing and actually “carry the pair.” That’s a big deal.

Signing/trading for any of these Dmen AND signing Roy for the money they shaved off the blue line, would be a steal.

You’d be talking about roughly $12 million off the books, and probably adding $11-$12m. Not counting trading for Trouba. That would obviously skew some numbers.

Heard something today about possibly buying out Petry too. He’s so cheap though, they wouldn’t save much. Also heard they could trade Chiarot (if they had to) in one of these deals, to make the money right. They’d prefer he be the leader on their bottom pairing right now though. His name came up talking to someone about Trouba, saying they could see Chiarot going in that trade somehow. Pure speculation from an evaluator though. We do know his name was thrown around last August/September when they were sniffing around Hanifin. The Wings like Chiarot, and to be fair to him, he played well down the stretch with Seider, unlike when he first got to Detroit, and tried leading Seider, rather than supporting Seider.

If they pull off adding two legit, higher end, role playing dmen, for basically money out-money in, they’d still have money for other things, and it would be a coup really. Upgrading for the same money.

Up front? Think they will be in on one big name, and then a secondary scorer type. No clue who that forward will be, but they’d like it to be a C or someone who can drive a line from the wing. Those guys aren’t easy to get though. Even as UFAs. Obviously other teams throw money around too. Reinhart could be a sneaky add, and he can play C. He drives a line. Stamkos is Stamkos. Lindholm can help you the middle. So could Chandler Stephenson. Although I consider him more of a secondary move.

Two names to keep an eye on (on the secondary market) are Anthony Duclair and Jake DeBrusk. DeBrusk goes back to December when Boston was looking at getting Perron, and if people remember, the Wings scouted Boston like 6 games in a row. They were looking at DeBrusk and Lauko mostly. They’d like a secondary winger to replace Perron, but with more speed and the ability to drive that 3rd line IF he’s slumping. A player they can move down the lineup, who can create pace. Both those players can do it. DeBrusk can really do it well, and his pace would be great with Larkin.

The big goal though, is finding two standout partners for their two young minute eaters on the blue line. Partners for the next few years that make their Top 4 very hard to play against. Then let Chiarot, Petry and Johansson, fill out their bottom pairing. Plus upgrading their net if they can.

One other thing to mention.. There was a reason Albert Johansson was playing the right side towards the end of the season in GR.

Good bet he shares time, rotating in and out with Petry, playing with Chiarot… but also don’t be surprised if Johansson gets some time with Seider in training camp, to see how that looks. Obviously that would be back on the left. He’s a very solid player.

To have a player with those wheels, who’s really solid technically, will open things up for Seider.. Or at least it could. Keep an eye on that come camp. Especially if they don’t land that partner for Seider.

They really like Johansson. He won’t get a lot of fanfare but could turn into a player very much like Matt Roy. He does all the little things right defensively. All the things coaches appreciate and fans ignore. Yet every team, every year, does nothing but praise him. His speed and how he processes the game quickly, should help him make a pretty smooth transition into the NHL. We’ll see. Don't sell him short though. Stats aren’t everything.

The main goal though, is to find two really good role players, to play with Seider and Edvinsson moving forward.
Love your posts as always. Thanks for this.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

So basically everyone is an option.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Essentially took 2 2nds to cap dump Walman lmfao. That’s horrendous value. That kind of capital is used on horrendous contracts and Walman is not that.
A few weeks ago there was a discussion about us getting #2 center. I don't remember which player it was. However, some posters thought that my idea was crazy and too low to obtain the player.

This trade confirms that I was right. Cap space is an asset and sometimes it can be a big one.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Greatest post of the month.

Thank you very much.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The Gibson and Walman deals are linked and the return, ignoring FC, at this point is Kiiskinen and $3.4M in Cap space each of the next two years. The timing of it suggests there's a plan or at least intent to spend that extra available money soon, when there are a lot of useful things to spend it on.

This whole thing sounds sort of like a guy paying someone $200 to tow away the barely working piece of junk in his driveway, rather than keep it around selling off the parts or hoping some idiot will show up and offer him $500 for it, because he wants the driveway space for a car he's close to buying that actually works. He doesn't really need to pay someone to remove the piece of junk, he could park it on the street or even in the backyard for a while. He'd probably get something for it eventually, even if just for the tires that are in good shape. But he's gonna get rid of it at some point anyway so why f#$k around?
It's stupid because the guy in your hypothetical lives next to a used car lot that would have given him $200 for it if he just walked the keys over.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

Thanks for the post. Usually love reading them and believe you have some real insights and I'll believe you more than just about anyone on these boards.... but man, on this one you just about covered that the Wings may or may not be keeping every one of their defenseman while they also may or may not go after every possible defenseman available in free agency or a trade.

Reactions: Realgud

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Tomorrow Seider and Raymond will be traded and some will say they are not good at all. For couple of years Walman was our second best defansman who played mostly against the best
And how many games did Walman play when the Red Wings were fighting for a playoff spot at the end of the season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad