RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024, 7th, OTT)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
IMO, fixing defense against line rushes is easily fixable. Where offensively inclined Dmen get in trouble is that they often try to steal pucks and start a rush the other way, which works because their talent is so much better than those that they are playing against. All coaches have to do is emphasize that the main thing to do is defend the rush, and let the transition take care of itself. Yak has the reach and heft to be able to angle out most players, and a good or better stick if he puts his mind to using it for defending.

Bottom line is that he will be fine, especially if the Sens help him work on this aspect of his game. Working on his transitions should also help his puck retrievals, allowing him to get to pucks quicker and use his considerable Puck moving skills to get the puck out of his zone. His D zone coverage is effective, competitive, and fierce. That's a nice thing to have. Some D men just never have that aspect in their game.

For him, it's really about keeping it simple, and not trying to do too much.

I was hoping that MN would get a shot at Yak at #13. A big, mean'ish, skilled, RHD is hard not to like. I think his defensive faults are overblown, and part of what you get with an offensively minded, creative player. They simply take more risks than average players who are afraid to make mistakes.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
This player reminds me of Dustin Byfuglien. Prime years Dustin is what I can see as projection and potential upside for him... and I understand why Ottawa took him instead of the other defencemen available. They went for the high risk, high reward option. I would have prefered Anton Silayev the supposedly next Chara, but Russian factor is there and Ottawa doesn't draft many kids straight out of Russia.

Reactions: Dionysus

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Idk why Ottawa fans aren’t liking this pick

Because they passed on Parekh to take him.

It’s tough to sell “better Dion Phaneuf” when the other guy compares favourably to Erik Karlsson.

Especially to a fanbase that already had Erik Karlsson.

Don’t get me wrong - Dion Phaneuf before his hip fracture was a helluva player, and if Yakemchuk can avoid major leg injuries that rob him of his explosiveness, he should be a fine player.

Staios is getting a Christmas card from me this year, I can tell you that much.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
We have PTSD for some of our 1st round choices in the last few decades.

I didn't really follow anyone for this draft so I'm just going to shrug and hope for the best.
He's one that seems like a boom or bust to me. If he booms, yikes will the Sens have a stacked d-core. I'm not sure if it's best to pair him with Sanderson or spread the wealth.

Reactions: NyQuil

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015

It’s tough to sell “better Dion Phaneuf” when the other guy compares favourably to Erik Karlsson.

Don’t get me wrong - Dion Phaneuf before his hip fracture was a helluva player, and if Yakemchuk can avoid major leg injuries that rob him of his explosiveness, he should be a fine player.

If we're talking about explosiveness here, Parekh does not have near the explosiveness that Karlsson had.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
If we're talking about explosiveness here, Parekh does not have near the explosiveness that Karlsson had.

Not in a straight line that’s for sure.

The way he changes directions, goes side to side, handles the puck, it’s all very EK.

By the eye test, he looks like he plays like all the best modern defenceman do.

I’m not here to slag Ottawa’s selection because it got Calgary Their best prospect in 15 years.

I can just completely understand where fans would be livid.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

All due respect - the likelihood of Parekh ever coming close to the level EK was at is absurdly low. In recent memory, I can only say Makar has come close to that. Even then, pre-slice EK was something this league had not seen from a d-man in a long, long time.

The NHL of today has shown the best teams have strong two-way defenders. You don't often see cup contenders with one-dimensional defenders leading the way.

Parekh has a lot of upside but I doubt he ever got much strong consideration over a guy like Yakemchuk when you are projecting players 4-5 years out against players in the NHL.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Idk why Ottawa fans aren’t liking this pick
Ottawa fan here. I am not livid, I like the pick but my initial reaction was to be bummed when Parekh was left on the board the sens also have a history of picking players earlier than they are ranked so it kind of also piled onto that.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yakemchuk has a lot of attractive tools but his skating mechanics are ugly as hell. His top speed is pretty solid but the four-way mobility is not good, the transition from forwards to backwards skating involves this crazy wide cut that allows defenders to blow by him, and he doesn’t have the finesse to defend truly skilled forwards. I really like the upside though, hopefully he can overcome these issues.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
If Yak's skating is an issue, Marc Power and Shelley Kettles will make him above average. Ottawa has had some of the best skating coaches.

Love the offensive upside and big shot. We need someone who can attack the right side. Perfect partner for Sanderson down the road.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If Yak's skating is an issue, Marc Power and Shelley Kettles will make him above average. Ottawa has had some of the best skating coaches.

Love the offensive upside and big shot. We need someone who can attack the right side. Perfect partner for Sanderson down the road.
I think Sanderson is definitely a pretty ideal partner for Yakemchuk. But I really can’t emphasize how ugly the skating mechanics are, it’s going to take a lot to overcome it. It’s not easy to reinvent someone’s skating mechanics at 19 years old.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

I understand Parekh's exciting but when it comes to the playoffs a future first pairing of Sanderson and Yakemchuk sounds terrifying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad