W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
This kid is killing it again, off to a great start. 14 points in 6 games. Looking forward to seeing him in the AHL next year, doesn't seem like he has much left to learn in the Q.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
This kid is killing it again, off to a great start. 14 points in 6 games. Looking forward to seeing him in the AHL next year, doesn't seem like he has much left to learn in the Q.
He is producing a ton and you can see that he is head and shoulders above everybody, but he did simplify his game.

He does not "stand out" as much as last year, but he is more dominant. Less flashy play, more control.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Only thing that could hold this guy back is himself.

He’s admitted himself he hasn’t been as committed defensively/in the off-season as he needs to be, which is a good sign he realizes it.

All the talent in the world, and is clearly already a notch above almost anyone in the Q offensively. Hopefully he really focuses on the rest of his game since he can already produce at an elite level offensively

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Probably stupid to bring this up again but.. the age difference between
Joshua Roy and Shane Wright, less than 4 months...

The other was 150th overall, the other 4th overall.
Roy was still 18 just 3 months ago.

Reactions: Dutronc

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Historically bad sign if they plateau in junior

Like Suzuki who produced 96, 100 points and 94 points (paced for around 100) in his three last years in the OHL ?

I think there's not that much room for production improvement when it is that elite. The more important part is that he improves the skills needed to make it to the NHL : speed, strength and better defensive play.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
a bump scored his 39th and 40th points of this season (24 games)

In this calendar year Roy has played in 74 games (play-offs included)
In those 74 games, Roy has scored 59+76=135 +48 with 360 sog stat line

He is barely 19 years old.

---

he scored 35 goals, 55 points in 55 games in his draft year
(214 shots on goal)

Scored 16 goals and 44 points (60 games) in his 16 year old rookie season.
Was drafted 1st overall in the Q draft BTW.

Why was he drafted 150th overall?
Looking at players drafted in prior rounds
or in his round above him... LOL

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Historically bad sign if they plateau in junior
a bump scored his 39th and 40th points of this season (24 games)

In this calendar year Roy has played in 74 games (play-offs included)
In those 74 games, Roy has scored 59+76=135 +48 with 360 sog stat line

He is barely 19 years old.

---

he scored 35 goals, 55 points in 55 games in his draft year
(214 shots on goal)

Scored 16 goals and 44 points (60 games) in his 16 year old rookie season.
Was drafted 1st overall in the Q draft BTW.

Why was he drafted 150th overall?
Looking at players drafted in prior rounds
or in his round above him... LOL
He would likely go in the first round in a re draft. Probably 20th-ish

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
At this point with the development he had, probably yes. However there are still some question marks (which is why it's probably not higher than 20ish).

Also, he probably should have been picked in the 3rd round, not the 5th. But it sent him a message, so it worked out well.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
At this point with the development he had, probably yes. However there are still some question marks (which is why it's probably not higher than 20ish).

Also, he probably should have been picked in the 3rd round, not the 5th. But it sent him a message, so it worked out well.
A first is a stretch. There is more to the game than pure production - and I think over on the Habs board we all have serious questions about his pace of play and skating fundamentals. It looks like he had improved his skating - especially the first few steps, but he still has an awkward stride. Remains to be seen how effective his calmer cerebral style will be when the pace increases at the next level - but there is precedent that his style isn’t as effective in the pros more often than not.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005

Not so sure. He really needs to improve his skating (mostly acceleration) to have success at higher level. He's way better than he was at the draft (he was totaly out of shape), but the hardest part remains ahead of him.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Not so sure. He really needs to improve his skating (mostly acceleration) to have success at higher level. He's way better than he was at the draft (he was totaly out of shape), but the hardest part remains ahead of him.
Corey Pronman did a redraft of 2021 and he had him going 26th.

He’s first round in re-draft.

Not saying he’s a finished product but he’s first rounder all day long.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Corey Pronman did a redraft of 2021 and he had him going 26th.

He’s first round in re-draft.

Not saying he’s a finished product but he’s first rounder all day long.
He provides excellent value for where he was selected in the draft, but he has some deficiencies in his game that may limit his NHL potential

His skating - both his top end speed, acceleration but also his agility and his Edges - he is a very inefficient skater. in most all regards and he needs a good amount of work to get it up to snuff in the NHL - Tyler Toffoli is an excellent comparable.

I also don’t love his compete level, especially on the defensive side of the puck. it’s getting a bit better but it’s still something that I hope he can work on this year in the QMJHL, then the next few seasons in the AHL.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
He provides excellent value for where he was selected in the draft, but he has some deficiencies in his game that may limit his NHL potential

His skating - both his top end speed, acceleration but also his agility and his Edges - he is a very inefficient skater. in most all regards and he needs a good amount of work to get it up to snuff in the NHL - Tyler Toffoli is an excellent comparable.

I also don’t love his compete level, especially on the defensive side of the puck. it’s getting a bit better but it’s still something that I hope he can work on this year in the QMJHL, then the next few seasons in the AHL.
I hear y’a. He’s 19 years old. Pretty commonly that a 19 year old has some things to work on

Skating is fixable and reachable if he wants to put in the effort. Scoring 120 points is generallly not teachable

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm rooting for him. My favorite prospect. I hope he proves all his doubters wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad