W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Roy produced during the series, but I was not as impressed as I usually am. Charlottetown were very physical and were going after all of the Phoenix stars. Parent got especially rattled and took dumb penalties. Roy just kinda faded, especially at 5v5. Got 3 points yesterday, but he did not stand out.

Good learning experience.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I just can't see Roy going back to the Q after this season. What's crazy is Roy has a lot of areas where he can improve (skating, endurance, strength and defensive zone play). If only there was a way to transfer him to the OHL / WHL. Or maybe he just burns a year off his ELC in the AHL? Is that even allowed?

Maybe Europe?

I see this suggestion all the time and it'll never happen. I think people often forget these players sign contracts with their CHL teams. They cannot just decide they want to go play in Europe, and no CHL team will allow their best player to walk away for nothing. I agree in certain circumstances it makes sense for U-20 CHL players to play in the AHL, but if its too broad it would be a death knell to the CHL, and this league has served the NHL well from a development perspective since its inception.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Joshua signed a tryout contract with the Laval Rockets. So he will probably play in the AHL playoffs this week.

Interesting to see what he can do against men and older players
I'd be surprised if Roy played in a game. Like Kidney, he's there to learn. Laval is in the conference finals. Not a time to mess with team chemistry.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I think people often forget these players sign contracts with their CHL teams. They cannot just decide they want to go play in Europe, and no CHL team will allow their best player to walk away for nothing.

I believe they can just bog off to Europe if they desire.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It probably makes more sense to compare him to this year's draft class considering his age is roughly a week away from being eligible for this year's draft. I think he'd push for top-15.
Yeah I think he’d comfortably slot in around 15-30 somewhere and could be taken higher depending on which team was picking. Depends on how much a team thinks they/he can improve his skating, with his stature and an NHL development coach he should see “some” strides from junior to pro.

He’s about a month and a half too old for this draft though.

Reactions: WinterLion

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It probably makes more sense to compare him to this year's draft class considering his age is roughly a week away from being eligible for this year's draft. I think he'd push for top-15.
I think when you do something like that there’s always trouble that comes with it. He may be young for the prior draft, but then you compare him to kids more than a year younger. That’s also not good. It’s best to compare players to their own draft.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Right. It is unfair, indeed. Non CHL(mostly Europeans) players can play in the AHL before being 20.
Yes and no.

It’s unfair to the absolute elite players, but someone like Roy has enough things to work on in his game that another year of Junior won’t hurt at all

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes and no.

It’s unfair to the absolute elite players, but someone like Roy has enough things to work on in his game that another year of Junior won’t hurt at all
I agree with this. There are some fundamental things Roy needs to work on (skating, strength and defensive awareness) that junior will help with. The one thing Roy doesn't need to improve is his ability to create offense / score goals. He is talented and has a high hockey IQ. I would advise Roy to work on his weaknesses at the cost of some offensive production to become a complete player.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The most underrated Canadian prospect in hockey.

After the WJC is over his combined stat line will be at 150-160 point mark
for any player that's insane, for a young player like him, even more so,

I mean, if he was born just a tad bit later, he would have been 2022
draft eligible..

so far this past (last) season + wjc

61 goals
87 assists
148 points
+57

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth

draft eligible..

61 goals
87 assists
148 points
+57

His skating is lacking so i'm not sold on him yet. We'll see if he can adjust to the NHL level but i'd bet he'll score 20+ goals just on his release and positioning alone.

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby

draft eligible..

61 goals
87 assists
148 points
+57
I’m a Habs fan, but not a Roy Fan. He lacks effort…like a lot…I saw him in the first game and told my friends that he will loose is spot on the first line pretty quickly.

He can still be a good player, but it’s time to sell high on this kid

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I’m a Habs fan, but not a Roy Fan. He lacks effort…like a lot…I saw him in the first game and told my friends that he will loose is spot on the first line pretty quickly.

He actually played better away from Bedard and McTavish, Roy likes to have the puck on his stick and dictate play but with those two he was rarely able to do that as they also like to have the puck on their sticks.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

I don't think he's the type of player that deploys a lot of energy, he won't go put of his way to hit you and his forecheck game isn'tvery aggressive. He's scanning the play and out thinks oponents. I thought he was vety strong on the boards and won a lot of puck battles, good body positioning and strong on the puck. Obviously great release and puck skills. Not my favorite prospect , but I think he has a lot of NHL quality to be a complimentary player on a top6. Still a lot of work ahead.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad