W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
He actually played better away from Bedard and McTavish, Roy likes to have the puck on his stick and dictate play but with those two he was rarely able to do that as they also like to have the puck on their sticks.
Yep, true. I saw that.

I don't think he's the type of player that deploys a lot of energy, he won't go put of his way to hit you and his forecheck game isn'tvery aggressive. He's scanning the play and out thinks oponents. I thought he was vety strong on the boards and won a lot of puck battles, good body positioning and strong on the puck. Obviously great release and puck skills. Not my favorite prospect , but I think he has a lot of NHL quality to be a complimentary player on a top6. Still a lot of work ahead.
Yep. Upside is maybe Tyler toffoli

Reactions: Nevins

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I’m a Habs fan, but not a Roy Fan. He lacks effort…like a lot…I saw him in the first game and told my friends that he will loose is spot on the first line pretty quickly.

He can still be a good player, but it’s time to sell high on this kid
Nah he just isn't a good fit with two guys who command the puck. He drives play. He's not a glue guy which is what Bedard and McTavish need

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
I'd say top end upside is higher, but Toffoli is a good comparaison style wise. Toffoli was a much worse skater at the same age.I see a bit of Vanek as well.
Toffoli is a player I hate to watch play hockey! So it make sens.

It doesn’t mean Roy have no upside. Or toffoli is a bad hockey player

Nah he just isn't a good fit with two guys who command the puck. He drives play. He's not a glue guy which is what Bedard and McTavish need
He will have to learn. Roy will not drive the play in the nhl

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'd say top end upside is higher, but Toffoli is a good comparaison style wise. Toffoli was a much worse skater at the same age.I see a bit of Vanek as well.
Toffoli was a terrible skater in the NHL and in junior.

Roy's achilles heel is skating - end of story. If he fixes that he will be a productive NHLer with a high chance of reaching his ceiling. If he doesn't, he's a floor player and likely a career AHLer.

He's the the very description of a boom / bust prospect.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Toffoli was a terrible skater in the NHL and in junior.

Roy's achilles heel is skating - end of story. If he fixes that he will be a productive NHLer with a high chance of reaching his ceiling. If he doesn't, he's a floor player and likely a career AHLer.

He's the the very description of a boom bust
Roy isnt any worse than Toffoli as a skater..? Why is Toffoli NHL quality with his skating but Roy cant be?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
With his skating abilities and intensity level combo, I still have a hard time projecting him at the NHL level. It is not only his speed, but his edges and shiftiness are also poor when projecting at the NHL level. Those elements will limit his game; he won't fit in a bottom6 role and I am not quite sure if he'll make it as a top6 NHLer. Might become too good for the AHL but can't make it to the NHL type of player. Their reasons why he fell in the draft despite being an august born point per game player, there are still concerns today. I don't think he is a first rounder in a redraft, stats aren't everything when projecting, look at Dumais going in the 3rd round in the last draft. If he wants to be as efficient as Toffoli at the NHL level, a lot of adaptations to his game will have to be done, not every player with that type of limitations to their game gets it (how to adapt their game properly to still be effective), and Toffoli had greater puck skills to begin with. We'll see, good pick for his rank factoring the year he had nonetheless.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
With his skating abilities and intensity level combo, I still have a hard time projecting him at the NHL level. It is not only his speed, but his edges and shiftiness are also poor when projecting at the NHL level. Those elements will limit his game; he won't fit in a bottom6 role and I am not quite sure if he'll make it as a top6 NHLer. Might become too good for the AHL but can't make it to the NHL type of player. Their reasons why he fell in the draft despite being an august born point per game player, there are still concerns today. I don't think he is a first rounder in a redraft, stats aren't everything when projecting, look at Dumais going in the 3rd round in the last draft. If he wants to be as efficient as Toffoli at the NHL level, a lot of adaptations to his game will have to be done, not every player with that type of limitations to their game gets it (how to do transition properly to still be effective), and Toffoli had greater puck skills to begin with. We'll see, good pick for his rank factoring the year he had nonetheless.
Excellent post with well thought out points.
He provides excellent value for where he was selected in the draft, but he has some deficiencies in his game that may limit his NHL potential.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Rubbishtrap

Jul 14, 2022
Excellent post with well thought out points.
He provides excellent value for where he was selected in the draft, but he has some deficiencies in his game that may limit his NHL potential.
he was the top scorer at 18 in the league, he doesn't have anything to prove offensively so he can take the whole year focusing on his skating and compete level on the backcheck. We never know it could be a very good developpement year for him or just a waste if he doesn't work on his weakness.

Reactions: viceroy

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
he was the top scorer at 18 in the league, he doesn't have anything to prove offensively so he can take the whole year focusing on his skating and compete level on the backcheck. We never know it could be a very good developpement year for him or just a waste if he doesn't work on his weakness.
I think that’s fair - we’ll see how improved he is this time next year. I really want him to do well.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I wonder if Sherbrooke is the right environment for that.

I mean, as a season ticket holder, I am very happy he is coming back to the Phoenix, but development-wise, I doubt he will be asked to work on his weaknesses by our coaching staff. We play a very offense-first system with a LOT of stretch passes and Roy is often the guy who stays behind to benefit from the stretch passes. I doubt they will change that. He is also good at keeping the puck, waiting for teammates and setting the attack. Even better on the rush when they have numbers. I doubt Sherbrooke wants him to do anything else and be more involved defensively.

He is too good for the level. Ideally, he would be in the AHL.

Reactions: Fenris and montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I mean, as a season ticket holder, I am very happy he is coming back to the Phoenix, but development-wise, I doubt he will be asked to work on his weaknesses by our coaching staff. We play a very offense-first system with a LOT of stretch passes and Roy is often the guy who stays behind to benefit from the stretch passes. I doubt they will change that. He is also good at keeping the puck, waiting for teammates and setting the attack. Even better on the rush when they have numbers. I doubt Sherbrooke wants him to do anything else and be more involved defensively.

I'd love to see him in the SHL with Frolunda or Rogle as i think the bigger ice would help his skating and there's a lot of clutching and grabbing so he would have to fight hard for pucks and space. Would be interesting to see how he would handle it.

I'm just hoping that the Habs newly hired development coach will spend a lot of time with him in the next 2-3 years working on improving a number of things with him. If he can add a lot of lower body strength over the next several years that should help him a ton I would think.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

You can work on your skating in junior league. Sherbrooke is the perfect place for him. He's confident and comfortable there and they play a system that is ideal for his game. All he needs to do is work tirelessly on his skating. Even if he needs to take a step back to do so, its the right thing to do.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Skating sure. Defensive awareness, meh.
Defensive awareness can be developed in the AHL. But i thought at the WJHC, Roy displayed high hockey IQ with his defensive awareness. In a situation where he wasn't the go-to guy, he adapted his game to be more responsible and was effective at that.

What was noticeable was is complete lack of speed or drive. Those are things he can work on in the Q. There's no excuse for not working on them in the Q.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Defensive awareness can be developed in the AHL. But i thought at the WJHC, Roy displayed high hockey IQ with his defensive awareness. In a situation where he wasn't the go-to guy, he adapted his game to be more responsible and was effective at that.

What was noticeable was is complete lack of speed or drive. Those are things he can work on in the Q. There's no excuse for not working on them in the Q.
I cannot disagree with any of that.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

This is my hope, he becomes stronger and gets better acceleration this season in Q. I don't think it's realistic for him to suddenly develop breakaway speed but having a good couple steps can help him create enough space for his hockey sense to make a decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad