W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
A first is a stretch. There is more to the game than pure production - and I think over on the Habs board we all have serious questions about his pace of play and skating fundamentals. It looks like he had improved his skating - especially the first few steps, but he still has an awkward stride. Remains to be seen how effective his calmer cerebral style will be when the pace increases at the next level - but there is precedent that his style isn’t as effective in the pros more often than not.
I don't think it's a style issue, but yes, skating and pace are what could prevent him from making it. I think he processes the game at a high pace, just doesn't have the physical attributes to play pro hockey yet. Imo that's still a very compn thing for late first rounders...

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
He provides excellent value for where he was selected in the draft, but he has some deficiencies in his game that may limit his NHL potential

His skating - both his top end speed, acceleration but also his agility and his Edges - he is a very inefficient skater. in most all regards and he needs a good amount of work to get it up to snuff in the NHL - Tyler Toffoli is an excellent comparable.

I also don’t love his compete level, especially on the defensive side of the puck. it’s getting a bit better but it’s still something that I hope he can work on this year in the QMJHL, then the next few seasons in the AHL.
I see what you are saying. For me, it is his play at the WJC last summer that cemented his status. He is not the fastest, but he was the most used forward on many nights. He is an efficient guy who showed solid two way play in that tournament. I think that will bring him to the NHL and he has a good chance to surpass expectations because of his high hockey IQ.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He has improved since Habs training camp. Still have some doubts but he showing improvement in his skating and compete level. He also has chemistry with whoever he is paired with.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He has changed my opinion on his potential this tournament. He has shown speed and tenacity to go with scoring ability and IQ. I never thought he could skate and somehow he has improved significantly.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
It is interesting to see people saying they see him as a middle-6 PK guy now because he started playing PK this tournament. As a Habs fan I would love that progression, but it is cool because he was touted as an offensive player that struggled with work ethic and lacked compete. His IQ was always there, but he was a pain to watch in his first Q season, really seemed like a former highly touted kid that was never going to have the drive to put it all together. It is nice to see him put the effort in and reinvent his game to find success.

I like Mark Stone / Tyler Toffoli as comps. Not the best skater, but good IQ and takeaways make them reliable defensively

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
terrible take
Why? That wasnt meant as an insult.

Steve Begin played a responsible 200' high energy, spark plug, pesky, fan favourite type game and contributed a bit of clutch offence for a fourth liner during his prime run with the Habs.

A rich mans Steve Begin would be that but playing 16-18 minutes a night and putting up 40-50 pts. Isn't that a realistic projection for Joshua Roy at the NHL level?

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Roy might stand out against young kids but he doesn’t have the skill set to be anything other than an AHL star

• Haha
Reactions: EveryDay

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

Steve Begin played a responsible 200' high energy, spark plug, pesky, fan favourite type game and contributed a bit of clutch offence for a fourth liner during his prime run with the Habs.

A rich mans Steve Begin would be that but playing 16-18 minutes a night and putting up 40-50 pts. Isn't that a realistic projection for Joshua Roy at the NHL level?
no.. he has much better hands than Begin

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City

Even if that wasn't meant as an insult, I really don't think they play a similar style of game at all.

Tyler Toffoli remains the best stylistic comparison to me, personally.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005

Begin was a 10-15pts forward. He had absolutely no vision, no hands, only the one of the biggest heart. That's probably the worst comparaison you could find. They are the complete opposite.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Skating will always be an issue but he can still improve with better technique and conditioning. His biggest challenge at the next level will be to be able to florish by using his IQ and hard work if he can do that he should be a NHLer but many other top prospect have had similar issues and failed. It's up to him and his off ice training.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad