W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
he reminds me of Mark Stone in his style of play. The skating is not great but his hockey IQ is excellent. Very good defensively and good playmaker. He doesn't have the same shot as Stone but the rest looks like him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Why? That wasnt meant as an insult.

Steve Begin played a responsible 200' high energy, spark plug, pesky, fan favourite type game and contributed a bit of clutch offence for a fourth liner during his prime run with the Habs.

A rich mans Steve Begin would be that but playing 16-18 minutes a night and putting up 40-50 pts. Isn't that a realistic projection for Joshua Roy at the NHL level?
Using that logic he could be a poor man’s Pavel Datsyuk! :)

Reactions: Habsrule

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Roy is a really solid prospect, and he has shown progression every year which is encouraging.

I especially like his greater attention to details defensively this year (as opposed to last year where he focused a lot more on pure offense), and I've noticed that Roy is a bit faster, and looks more agile out there.

The talent has always been there, but I quite like that Joshua Roy has slowly started integrating some more grit into his game, and focusing on playing a more defensively-sound type of Hockey.

However, despite his recent heroics in the WJC (which were awesome to watch not gonna lie), Roy is not a lock to be a good pro in the NHL by any stretch of the imagination.

We must temper our enthusiasm, as although he has been really good for Team Canada (and looks very promising) there are still lots of flaws to his game compared to the average NHLer, like intensity, a clear lack of strength to sustain heavier checks, "meh" boardplay, and much more.

Though he has shown progression, Roy still is far from fast on the ice, and sometimes still gets too cute with the puck on his stick trying to thread dangerous passes or trying to deke when the better play would be the simple rims along the boards.

So, as I've said, let's not get too crazy and hyped about Roy's most-recent performance and forget the sizable progression he must continue to go through to reach his goal of playing, and succeeding in the NHL.

And if Roy needs a year or two of AHL play after the season is done to be ready, we should remain patient and hopeful he turns out good for us.

Anyways, that's it from me. Cheers, have a good night, and don't forget to drink lots of water before bed as it keeps the hangover away better than any next-day cure I've ever tried.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Steve Begin played a responsible 200' high energy, spark plug, pesky, fan favourite type game and contributed a bit of clutch offence for a fourth liner during his prime run with the Habs.

A rich mans Steve Begin would be that but playing 16-18 minutes a night and putting up 40-50 pts. Isn't that a realistic projection for Joshua Roy at the NHL level?
Begin was never really a point producer in his career and was always a PIMs energy guy. Begin was getting 200+PIMs in junior while Roy's game is putting up 100+points. Roy also is not as good skating/physical. The comparison is off stylistically.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Roy is a really solid prospect, and he has shown progression every year which is encouraging.

I especially like his greater attention to details defensively this year (as opposed to last year where he focused a lot more on pure offense), and I've noticed that Roy is a bit faster, and looks more agile out there.

The talent has always been there, but I quite like that Joshua Roy has slowly started integrating some more grit into his game, and focusing on playing a more defensively-sound type of Hockey.

However, despite his recent heroics in the WJC (which were awesome to watch not gonna lie), Roy is not a lock to be a good pro in the NHL by any stretch of the imagination.

We must temper our enthusiasm, as although he has been really good for Team Canada (and looks very promising) there are still lots of flaws to his game compared to the average NHLer, like intensity, a clear lack of strength to sustain heavier checks, "meh" boardplay, and much more.

Though he has shown progression, Roy still is far from fast on the ice, and sometimes still gets too cute with the puck on his stick trying to thread dangerous passes or trying to deke when the better play would be the simple rims along the boards.

So, as I've said, let's not get too crazy and hyped about Roy's most-recent performance and forget the sizable progression he must continue to go through to reach his goal of playing, and succeeding in the NHL.

And if Roy needs a year or two of AHL play after the season is done to be ready, we should remain patient and hopeful he turns out good for us.

Anyways, that's it from me. Cheers, have a good night, and don't forget to drink lots of water before bed as it keeps the hangover away better than any next-day cure I've ever tried.
As someone who has seen a ton of Joshua Roy live in the last two years, I could not agree more.

He still has a long way to go. However, I think this tournament showed he has worked and is willing to work on his shortcomings. He did develop his defensive game a ton and that's a huge positive. He is way less flashy than last year, while remaining highly productive, and playing a much smarter game.

Now, he still has to improve his skating and continue to round out his game. I agree that he will need a year or two in the NHL to develop. I do feel more confident than ever that he will play in the NHL.

Out of the 3 big Phoenix NHL prospects (E. Gauthier, Hinds and Roy), I always felt that Roy had the less NHL-ready game. His performance at the World Junior changes that a little for me.

I see Hinds as the guy with the very mature NHL-ready game but questions around his skill level, Roy has the guy with the skil level but some questions about his overall game and E. Gauthier as the guy with the pro-game and the skill level.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Roy's gonna be a 2nd line winger producing +/-50-60 pts in the NHL.

Might even play on the top line since he's a good complement to talented players.

He's as smart as they can be, not the fastest skater but his brain is like a quantum computer processor.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Roy's gonna be a 2nd line winger producing +/-50-60 pts in the NHL.

Might even play on the top line since he's a good complement to talented players.

He's as smart as they can be, not the fastest skater but his brain is like a quantum computer processor.

In that the largest number he's yet been able to factor is 21?

• Haha
Reactions: tooji

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
For an elite skill player to learn at a relatively young age (17) that by working harder and more purposefully on his game he will become a dramatically better player, as he has shown himself and everyone else in the last year, is something that should really encourage Habs fans. Most elite players certainly train hard in general, but things come easy and not until they are in the AHL for two years in a row do they realize it is going to take an extra level of hard work and specifically addressing shortcomings to get to the next level. For some, it's too late.

To me, Roy certainly looks like a really good complimentary top 6 player. He won't end up as one of the top 2 forwards on an NHL team per se, but that doesn't mean he can't be an important piece on one of the top two lines of a Cup contender. The two-way play he showed and his skating are the two things that really stand out to me. Everyone knew he had elite skill and hockey IQ offensively. The fact he could possibly play in the bottom 6 as a 20 or 21 year old was not something I had considered likely a year ago. Seems plausible now. Likely a year in the AHL to refine his game further and apply his offensive skills at the pro level, and maybe some call up looks as early as two years from now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Getting out of Saint John worked wonders, and his time there played a large part in the reason teams weren't taking him earlier in the draft.

Him getting rid of the attitude, laziness, entitlement questions that surrounded him in Saint John his draft year, fairly or unfairly, have him back to the guy who should have been a top 15 pick in September of the 2020 season.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015

So basically Brendan Gallagher? I don’t see it at all

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Getting out of Saint John worked wonders, and his time there played a large part in the reason teams weren't taking him earlier in the draft.

Him getting rid of the attitude, laziness, entitlement questions that surrounded him in Saint John his draft year, fairly or unfairly, have him back to the guy who should have been a top 15 pick in September of the 2020 season.
We should never forget that it is 16-year-old, it is VERY difficult to go SO far away from home and be expected to perform. Some need a bigger adjustment period.

I also think that we have a top notch organization in Sherbrooke. Look at how Hinds and Roy exploded here. Look at how guys like Spacek and Gauthier have developed.

Sherwoo9

Jul 17, 2018
Begin was never really a point producer in his career and was always a PIMs energy guy. Begin was getting 200+PIMs in junior while Roy's game is putting up 100+points. Roy also is not as good skating/physical. The comparison is off stylistically.
I would add that Begin himself would never describe his strengths as a player with any words like “hockey IQ”. He was a straight line, battle in the corner, crash the net, backcheck, rinse, repeat, kind a player.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

He's not fast but his board play is actually one of his strenght if you ask me.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
He's not fast but his board play is actually one of his strenght if you ask me.
He has an excellent stick, we saw that on the PK in the WJC. He also knows how to position his body to protect the puck and buy himself time. Both very important skills in the NHL.

Reactions: montreal and jfhabs

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
Everyone keep putting a cap on his potential and underselling him. Roy is the complete package.
Yup. Skating, and a lack of effort at times (which has been greatly improved the past two seasons) are the only two things holding him back from being a 1st line type player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad