W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
His 18 and 19 year old seasons (reg+p-o+wjc) - so far
- since he was drafted

122 goals
156 assists
278 points
1.85 ppg
+150
697 sog
46 pim

His 16 and 17 year old seasons (reg+p-o), before he was drafted

36 goals
41 assists
77 points
0.77 ppg
276 sog
12 pim

Canadiens must have scouted the shit out of him, or just picked a random player at 150.. who knows

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Canadiens must have scouted the shit out of him, or just picked a random player at 150.. who knows
It came out in the media after the WJC that the 2 Habs scouts who are full-time QMJHL scouts made it clear that in their minds, by the time they got to round 5, they HAD to take him. Too much talent to ignore and they saw a change in Roy's approach once he was traded to Sherbrooke. The felt they had nothing to lose and everything to gain in taking such a talent at that point.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
His 18 and 19 year old seasons (reg+p-o+wjc) - so far
- since he was drafted

122 goals
156 assists
278 points
1.85 ppg
+150
697 sog
46 pim

His 16 and 17 year old seasons (reg+p-o), before he was drafted

36 goals
41 assists
77 points
0.77 ppg
276 sog
12 pim

Not really "random" since he was a noted faller after being as a potential 1st round pick at an early age. I think he obviously got some preferential treatment playing in the Q and being French , but everyone knew the skill was there he just lacked the drive and motor. Sometimes those guys continue their downward trajectory and sometimes they put in the work and see it come together.

He was a gamble worth taking in the 5th even for other teams IMO, Habs got lucky they were the ones to take it

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Not really "random" since he was a noted faller after being as a potential 1st round pick at an early age. I think he obviously got some preferential treatment playing in the Q and being French , but everyone knew the skill was there he just lacked the drive and motor. Sometimes those guys continue their downward trajectory and sometimes they put in the work and see it come together.

He was a gamble worth taking in the 5th even for other teams IMO, Habs got lucky they were the ones to take it
Ya I have seen worse gambles taken way higher, so getting him where we did was well worth it even if he didn’t turn things around.

I think he also got forgotten about because he was part of the COVID class where a lot of the guys missed significant amount of games due to the pandemic.

Regardless, he’s looking like a real steal and future top 6 winger if not a potential star.

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
It came out in the media after the WJC that the 2 Habs scouts who are full-time QMJHL scouts made it clear that in their minds, by the time they got to round 5, they HAD to take him. Too much talent to ignore and they saw a change in Roy's approach once he was traded to Sherbrooke. The felt they had nothing to lose and everything to gain in taking such a talent at that point.
These scouts certainly didn't love Roy. They pick non other then Daniil Sobolev 8 spot before him haha. I think it's largely luck, they didn't have Roy that high on their list in 2021.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I don’t think Kent Hughes cares at all that he is Quebecois - which is the correct approach.

Well, Matheson is a Quebecois and he's playing the best hockey of his career since he's here.

Don't think any anglo will complain about the fact that he's a local boy and HuGo went after him and not someone else (the word is it's him they wanted for Petry, while the Pens were offering Pettersson).

Proudness of playing for the team the players rooted for when they were young is a factor Hughes will certainly take into account when evaluating his things...

Same thing for Roy, the guy was a serious faller in his draft year. He had fitness and commitment issues.

Being drafted by his hometown team lit a fire under his butt instead of chocking him under the proverbial Mtl pressure. Which is a good sign.

Don't think he'll be traded, he's an unpolished gem who showed he thrives under pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: sergejean

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
These scouts certainly didn't love Roy. They pick non other then Daniil Sobolev 8 spot before him haha. I think it's largely luck, they didn't have Roy that high on their list in 2021.
The 2 Q scouts weren't the ones making the picks. The point is that once round 5 began, they ''pounded the table'' for Roy.

« Quand on a passé la quatrième ronde et qu’on a pris William Trudeau, Donald et moi sommes allés parler à Trevor [Timmins] et Martin Lapointe. On leur a dit qu’on ne pouvait pas laisser passer un talent comme Joshua Roy en cinquième ronde. On n’avait rien à perdre, et tout à gagner. »

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
What the f*** are you talking about
taking a shot at a high upside boom/bust pick from Quebec where there is a desire to have Quebecois players, remember when they didn't ice a single Quebec-born player for the first time in 100 years and it was a news story? That doesn't happen in other markets.

If you have 2 guys who equal and the risk is low, you might want to take the player who can communicate with fans/media in French, and is a hometown boy. Its no secret the Habs want to have Francophone stars, you think they trade for Drouin if he was from Toronto?

Yeah cause the Habs pick SO MANY francophones...
it was still a news story when they had 0 Quebec born players for the first time in a century, where else does that happen?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
taking a shot at a high upside boom/bust pick from Quebec where there is a desire to have Quebecois players, remember when they didn't ice a single Quebec-born player for the first time in 100 years and it was a news story? That doesn't happen in other markets.

If you have 2 guys who equal and the risk is low, you might want to take the player who can communicate with fans/media in French, and is a hometown boy. Its no secret the Habs want to have Francophone stars, you think they trade for Drouin if he was from Toronto?

Dude was taken on the 5th round. How the f*** is that a preferential treatment?

There's no preferential treatment. It's a case of 31 morons who didn't take him in the first 4th round and 1 guy lucky enough to take a flyer on a former 1rst round pick

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don’t think Kent Hughes cares at all that he is Quebecois - which is the correct approach.
Unfortunately because of the French media, this issue will never go away. We have plenty of assets we can trade for PLD but Roy will not be one of them.

Reactions: BoneHutson

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Dude was taken on the 5th round. How the f*** is that a preferential treatment?

There's no preferential treatment. It's a case of 31 morons who didn't take him in the first 4th round and 1 guy lucky enough to take a flyer on a former 1rst round pick
I think you misinterpreted what I meant, I mean that it was an "easy choice" to take him in the 5th - he has upside AND he's a hometown boy who is French, its basically a no brainer in the 5th to take a guy like that. I think for any team, but especially for MTL. I don't mean anything else besides that taking a flyer on a guy who could potentially be a good player, and one who will makes fans happy is a win/win.

Like it or not, there is still a desire among the fanbase to have Quebecois players on the team, like I said, when is it ever a news story when a team has no players from their province or state? It was one in Montreal.

Obviously he was deserving of his draft place, I just meant that for the Habs in the 5th round, if they see a player who has that level of potential and he's a hometown guy, its worth the risk even if he ends up a bust, because you aren't expecting to hit on all of those picks

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Unfortunately because of the French media, this issue will never go away. We have plenty of assets we can trade for PLD but Roy will not be one of them.
All trading for PLD does is add another good player and decreases our chance of adding an elite player through the draft. The vast majority of cup winners need elite players, not good players. Sick of this PLD nonsense.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think you misinterpreted what I meant, I mean that it was an "easy choice" to take him in the 5th - he has upside AND he's a hometown boy who is French, its basically a no brainer in the 5th to take a guy like that. I think for any team, but especially for MTL. I don't mean anything else besides that taking a flyer on a guy who could potentially be a good player, and one who will makes fans happy is a win/win.

Like it or not, there is still a desire among the fanbase to have Quebecois players on the team, like I said, when is it ever a news story when a team has no players from their province or state? It was one in Montreal.

Obviously he was deserving of his draft place, I just meant that for the Habs in the 5th round, if they see a player who has that level of potential and he's a hometown guy, its worth the risk even if he ends up a bust, because you aren't expecting to hit on all of those picks
I am not sure that the fanbase cares but the French media does.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I know this has been asked before, but what's his upside? 30 goal top 6 winger?
Who is his NHL comparable?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Roy has fully answered and then some the questions that hung over him during his draft year - skating, compete level, and 200’ play are among his strengths now IMO - while his skill set has taken leaps and bounds. If he had been a top-15 pick originally, I have no doubt his name would be up there as a top-10 prospect in hockey in light of the season he is having. Given where the Canadiens are at in their rebuild, I think it would be a massive error to trade Roy even straight up for Dubois.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad