W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
He is even overlooked by our own fanbase IMO, he should be top prospect or 2nd best prospect. We tend to look at speed and hands first but Roy has everything to produce and be effective for years to come with Montreal. His hockey IQ is off the chart, the typical player that does everything on the ice(PK,PP,EV). He is everything Drouin is not which is a really positive sign.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
If Jason Robertson developed into a superstar with average skating, I don't see why Josh Roy could not achieve that too, although it is still very early in his development.

Reactions: Dutronc

Dutronc

May 14, 2018
In his draft year, he was out of shape and overweight (could barely finish a shift without being winded) and was written off by all teams (including the Habs). Hence, a former #1 pick in the Q was a 5th round pick in the NHL draft. Roy admitted that he was not informed on nutrition and his attitude toward fitness that year was lacking.

Since then, he came into his D+1 season in shape and lit up the Q and earned a spot on the Team Canada WJHC roster (won gold) but still had deficiencies defensively and with his skating. If he could not make the NHL as a top-6 forward, he had no place. So he was asked to work on his two-way game and skating.

He followed D+1 with another offensive season in the Q but he sacrificed offense to learn defense. That translated into getting placed on a line with Bedard at WJHC as a two-way forward. He finished that tournament on the all star team. He also improved his skating significantly.

This year, his first as a pro, he is learning the pro game in Laval as the Habs have too many forwards and Roy is waiver exempt. I didn't think he would light up the AHL as he has to date. If he keeps it up, the Habs will have no choice but to call him up.

Joshua Roy is overlooked because of where he was drafted. But had he been in shape in his draft season, he would have been an early pick (late 1st / 2nd round) based on talent alone.
I know all that since day 1. He is still underated cause he's a guy from St-George-de-Beauce who played in the Q and got drafted in the 5th round.

If he was a guy from the NCAA or anywhere else we talkin 'bout a prospect like Johnny Gaudreau.

Feel free to still think otherwise.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I know all that since day 1. He is still underated cause he's a guy from St-George-de-Beauce who played in the Q and got drafted in the 5th round.

If he was a guy from the NCAA or anywhere else we talkin 'bout a prospect like Johnny Gaudreau.

Feel free to still think otherwise.
I wouldn't say he's underrated. He's rated quite highly now after his past two Q seasons and WJHC prowess.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Another one here who is sold on his potential, I wouldn't bet against him making the NHL and think he will be a top 6 player. Elite IQ, great hands, decision-making speed and instincts. His foot speed has gotten better and will likely never be above average but enough to get by with good positioning and awareness.

He's my favorite prospect besides Hutson (who IMO has a lot more work before we can call him a future NHL stud)

I think stylistically he reminds me a bit of Toffoli, and some Mark Stone. Maybe Kucherov (not potential wise, just playstyle!)

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Another one here who is sold on his potential, I wouldn't bet against him making the NHL and think he will be a top 6 player. Elite IQ, great hands, decision-making speed and instincts. His foot speed has gotten better and will likely never be above average but enough to get by with good positioning and awareness.

He's my favorite prospect besides Hutson (who IMO has a lot more work before we can call him a future NHL stud)

I think stylistically he reminds me a bit of Toffoli, and some Mark Stone. Maybe Kucherov (not potential wise, just playstyle!)
With a recent #1 draft pick already in the top 6 and a dead weight in Josh Anderson who has $5.5 million reasons why he will be hard to move for another couple of seasons and Gallagher probably best suited to 3rd line energy can chip in type of guy where exactly is Roy going to play?

Mesar is also in play as a top young RW prospect.

Uphill climb.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
only 7 points in his last 15 games. seems he's come down to earth a bit. should still be able to develop into a solid bottom 6 maybe middle six option.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
only 7 points in his last 15 games. seems he's come down to earth a bit. should still be able to develop into a solid bottom 6 maybe middle six option.
Or maybe you don't put a cap on a rookie's expectations?

It is quite normal for a young player to have growing pains when they get to the AHL. For Roy, if those growing pains mean some slow time and not maintaining top of league production pace at all time, I don't think it should be held against him.

Time is on his side. Everything is still possible: from first liner to career AHLer.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Why? He's have a very good AHL season. Dominated every level he has played including WJHC twice. He has top-6 potential and likely low risk to reach that level due to very high hockey IQ.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He seems to be very streaky. Was top pick in draft then stunk. Habs got him in 5th round. Then he turns it up. Sets AHL on fire to start the season then nose dived again

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He seems to be very streaky. Was top pick in draft then stunk. Habs got him in 5th round. Then he turns it up. Sets AHL on fire to start the season then nose dived again

He turned it up for two full years and then a sequence of a few weeks im his rookie AHL year where he produced at less than a stellar level is considered "streaky"?

Ill take streaky anytime of the day if he can be dominant 80% of the time vs being average 100% of the time but consistent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad