VR (Like Apple's Vision Pro) Will Revolutionize Sports "Viewing"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
VR’s major applications are now, and always have been, purpose-built professional simulators of scenarios that would be too expensive or dangerous to replicate in the real world.

IE flight, surgery, physics etc.

And yes, climaxing (but if you think using VR to do that isn’t extremely niche, I have a gently used mascot costume to sell you)
Other subject still have some grey area on what they can and can't accomplish with this stuff, especially surgery - patient confidentiality and is still very much an issue.

I will say though I was presented to by a few guys from Stanford who brought a setup to us (a team) which was essentially a VR setup for goaltenders. It was originally set up and configured for QBs to allow them to see game speed/movement/routes/defensive looks. Was all very cool, fascinating stuff. The adaptation to goaltending is interesting and seemed to be pitched with the idea it could aid in goaltender injury recovery - getting the mental work without having to tax the body.

I think they presented to all NHL teams eventually, maybe minus a couple who weren't at that point going to invest in something like that (AZ, FL, OTT), and I think the Capitals ended up purchasing.

I think this is a shortcoming of myself to only consider it in more practical applications like this rather than a way of enhancing the fan experience. I don't see how there couldn't be a market for it, you can give people short clips of seating experiences for sales purposes, etc...

Reactions: weslox

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Call me crazy, but I think there is value in having people that are expert camera operators, directors, and producers curating a viewing experience of a sporting event. Their expertise is already MUCH better for actually watching sporting events than actually being there. I don't see pretending to be there anything more than a short term gimmick

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This should be part of the "Damn, I'm old" thread. I'm so old I remember when watching hockey with my two eyes was the way to go.

Reactions: Voight

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
It won't, it'll die like 3D TV did. People didn't want to wear 3D glasses just to watch TV and you really think they'd be down to wear a giant headset?

Reactions: Svechhammer

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
You're describing a novelty not a revolution.

And, again for the people in the back, a novelty that will be flat out rejected by a percentage of the audience's brains and/or inner ears.

8% of the male population is red/green colorblind and yet they are the unofficial colors of Christmas…If there’s money to be made in VR/AR despite the fact not everyone can partake, it will happen…

I think you’re wrong about it being a novelty but am not versed enough in the topic to accurately judge that…but saying it won’t take off because some people have a medical issue is laughable…

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
8% of the male population is red/green colorblind and yet they are the unofficial colors of Christmas…If there’s money to be made in VR/AR despite the fact not everyone can partake, it will happen…

I think you’re wrong about it being a novelty but am not versed enough in the topic to accurately judge that…but saying it won’t take off because some people have a medical issue is laughable…
Not being able to see a color properly doesn't make somebody throw up or fall over. Also VR side effect numbers are significantly higher than 8% and can vary based on things like age (not recommended at all for kids under 13 with susceptibility increasing after 50), gender (worse among women), and ethnicity (worse among Asians). You're also more likely to experience symptoms if you're fatigued or sick.

With that in mind, do you agree or disagree with the argument being presented in this thread that VR headsets are going to become as wide spread as smart phones?

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021

This will be mass adopted just like the MetaVerse was/is.

VR is garbage
MetaVerse

was trying to solve 3 problems none of them were related to whether or not vr is used or is any good.

1) facebook is no longer unique in it's ability to "collect data" they wanted to move into a new platform where they'd have a leading advantage.

2) they wanted to not only collect information but present information to people. VR that uses eye tracking software is a wet dream for advertisers. They can tell moment by moment what your eyes are actually looking at and how you're reacting to it.

3) They wanted to monopolize the entire industry, buying up every independent company and forcing companies into exclusively using the metaverse. They wanted to make the entire thing one giant ad services, where digital boards ads were in every digital environment, and you'd have to pay through the nose to remove them, or to look better than a stupid cartoon face etc.

If all they wanted to do was popular vr they would have done it. They were trying to do something completely different and I don't think they're dead yet. Very possible they make a come back, there's just too much money in it for zuck to turn away.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I mean, for smaller applications, I think VR would quickly create a new media demand that did not exist before. But if you attempt a form of cannibalism of a live NHL game, the masses will not be interested in that at all for a long period of time IMO.

I think if VR was offered in smaller special temporary availability at 5-10 minutes long, fans might jump on those. Ideas like:

- Pregame: Be an NHL goalie and other VR fans get to shoot at you with turbo powered hockey sticks. See how blisteringly fast the puck is from ice level.
- Warm ups and special ceremonies at ice level
- Fixed point: net camera (AKA goalie ass)
- Fixed point: tunnel camera for when players going to the locker room.
- Fixed point drone: Maybe the drone follows a player or a ref/linesman. Sort of like the "mic'd up" thing that is done now.

Like extras you can access that add to your experience of a regular live game. Not replacing regular streaming of an entire game.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Nah... I don't want to spend more than 20 minutes in VR at a time at most. A 2 hour game would be horrendous.

VR is a solution in search of a problem. The increased presence in a virtual application is not worth the real-world discomfort.

I have a headset I never use because of this. Having goggles strapped to your face is very fatiguing.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
For all you VR honks… do your eyes just not feel pain?

How do you put a screen half an inch from your retinas for three hours?
It's not the distance of the screen - they're calibrated to be the right level of brightness and at high enough resolutions and framerate will not look any different than normal eyesight.

It's more of the actual weight of the headset and heat it traps that causes the most discomfort. And there is no getting around that. VR, even under ideal conditions, only has a short term sort of wow-factor.

You're not missing much.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
With that in mind, do you agree or disagree with the argument being presented in this thread that VR headsets are going to become as wide spread as smart phones?
It won't. Not even remotely close.

Like... VR is lucky to move 20 million units a year globally to almost entirely 1st time adopters. Smartphones sell billions of units even though everyone already has one. There's no way VR will ever have that sort of market penetration.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Seedtype

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
For those who bring up 3D televisions are making a good point I think.

VR/AR/XR whatever will never be adopted en masse until it gets as comfortable as wearing glasses, or in this case a nice pair of ski goggles. And even then 3D TVs died hard.

I regularly do sim racing in VR. I'm sitting in a cockpit thing with a car seat. My controls are at my feet and hands. I also have a fan blowing at my face the whole time. Even then I could only really do a session for a couple hours at most.

You're also pretty isolated, maybe this Apple Vision Pro stuff can help with that, but I still feel it's pretty unnatural. (Also I think the battery life is way too short)

As for sports viewing I'm not sure if I can buy that. I would think you're gonna need a pretty high bitrate for the video stream, and we're still waiting on 4K content to become regular as it is.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
These sweeping “no one will ever use it” statements about new technology that the biggest companies in the world are devoting billions of dollars and resources to, tend to age well, right?
When is the last time you broke out your copy of Avengers: Infinity War on HD DVD?

Or when is the last time you saw a 3D TV advertising?

Yeah.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Nobody can afford this shit
Because technology has never before gotten cheaper
Not being able to see a color properly doesn't make somebody throw up or fall over. Also VR side effect numbers are significantly higher than 8% and can vary based on things like age (not recommended at all for kids under 13 with susceptibility increasing after 50), gender (worse among women), and ethnicity (worse among Asians). You're also more likely to experience symptoms if you're fatigued or sick.

I think they’ll end up fairly close…

Most people under a certain age will have some sort of VR/AR technology…

Some people will be the ones who still use flip phones because they don’t function well with technology…

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Yeah man it’ll get magically cheaper despite no demand for the technology, checks out
You’re posting in a thread started by someone excited about the technology…

Yeah man no demand for the technology, checks out

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
You’re posting in a thread started by someone excited about the technology…

Yeah man no demand for the technology, checks out

There’s more “demand” for solar and wind power than nuclear, even though carbon neutrality is a fantasy without it, and it’s the safest form of energy on the planet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad