VR (Like Apple's Vision Pro) Will Revolutionize Sports "Viewing"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
They won't for the same reasons there's barely any VR games worth playing.
That's basically the main thing limiting VR gaming.

It's not that there aren't great games, it's that the content is so limited.

No company is gonna bother putting in 1,000 hours of vr content into a game.

I think PSVR2 is gonna be the game changer, because they have work done on psvr1 gameplay to know what works.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why is Apple's VR set some sort of revolutionary technology that will impact sports? VR tech has been for the past 15-20 years and all the major studios like Samsung, Android, Sony, Microsoft, and others have had their own versions of VR. This is just a hidden fanboy thread.

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
One of the best things about sports is the social aspect. It's fun to watch it with other people, stand up and high five them, talk to them during boring moments and commercial breaks and so on. With a VR headset on, you're mostly shutting the world out and watching by yourself. If you actually are by yourself, then that may give you the best experience, but I have a hard time envisioning viewing parties, sports bars or even just family living rooms with everyone watching a game on VR headsets.
The whole reason I love vr, is exactly because I can socialize with people without actually having to go to a bar.

If you talk to the people who currently love vr it's the people who play it purely for social reasons.

FYI there's actually a big problem where a lot of the people who love it drink too much while playing.

In VR you can socialize in meaningful interactions in a 1 hour 15 minute span. A lot of the guys I meet online are middle aged dads who have 90 minutes after their kids go to sleep to do something. It's a really time effective way to socialize.

No transit time, no awkward waiting for people to show up, breaking the ice, you're just there and you go. You get the social release without wasting money or time.

You don't realize how much time you waste in regular socializing doing menial tasks like getting in line to buy a drink etc. In VR you either play the game or engage in real conversation. It's honestly more like playing real life sports in a lot of ways. Where you as a group actually have something to do.

It's not like talking on the phone because there's a spatial element to it. You actually have to tell people to move back or get out of your way, or to stop flailing their arms about.

Literally one of my favorite VR moments was being told off that I'm dragging my vr gun and clanking doors giving away our position. Like when someone tells you to stop breathing so loudly so you can hear footsteps it's a surreal experience.

Last edited:

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
Why is Apple's VR set some sort of revolutionary technology that will impact sports? VR tech has been for the past 15-20 years and all the major studios like Samsung, Android, Sony, Microsoft, and others have had their own versions of VR. This is just a hidden fanboy thread.
Where are you getting this 15-20 year timeline? PSVR1 came out in 2016, and it wasn't until 2018ish that they actually started making worthwhile games.

Uh.....VR, like it or not, is the direction tech is headed.

171 million people already gaming and that number is rising. Anybody who thinks otherwise is probably still hearing "you got mail" when they go online.
Yeah I think people fail to realize how the whole thing is in its infancy. Like game makers are still playing with ideas trying to find new ways to make use of VR.

We have a handful of games/techs that really work, and even they are under developed.

The gameplay is still in its infancy. I suspect you'll see a big level of advancement in 5 years or so, when a lot of the kids who grew up playing psvr1(2016) become game developers. Adults keep trying to jam in their own assumptions about game design.

Reactions: Figgy44

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
My kid and all his buddies hang out as much wearing VR headsets than not. I’m not into it, but like @Lady Stanley said, it is pretty cool and somehow produces meaningful interaction. Lots of people currently wear VR headsets.

The only times I tried it was a game which was fun, but I also watched a concert. Don’t remember who it was since I probably didn’t know who they were in the first place, but it certainly had elements of feeling like you’re there that you don’t get unless you are. Also the sound is better.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Where are you getting this 15-20 year timeline? PSVR1 came out in 2016, and it wasn't until 2018ish that they actually started making worthwhile games.

Yeah I think people fail to realize how the whole thing is in its infancy. Like game makers are still playing with ideas trying to find new ways to make use of VR.

We have a handful of games/techs that really work, and even they are under developed.

The gameplay is still in its infancy. I suspect you'll see a big level of advancement in 5 years or so, when a lot of the kids who grew up playing psvr1(2016) become game developers. Adults keep trying to jam in their own assumptions about game design.

You aren’t replying to me, but my uncle was bringing home samples of VR tech from Japan (for work) when I was in college and I graduated in 2004.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
AR/MR will, not VR.

Consumers do not like VR because of it's drawbacks but will fully get behind AR/MR especially in glasses like formfactor. It's the future smartphone, the future TV, the future monitor, the future smartwatch all in one.

This means you'd be able to watch the sport like you're at the game, watch it like it's on TV, whatever you want.
I honestly think it's the total opposite.

Virtual Reality is reality deprivation, we just take it for granted that we live in regular reality, in VR you're completely cut off as you can't hear or see your surroundings.

AR doesn't you deprive yourself of reality, you still absorb light etc.

When you're isolated from your natural environment you brain is forced into overdrive to fill in the gaps. It means you don't even notice how poor/limited the graphics are.

It's the reason peripheral vision which is technology monochrome is filled with color. If you deprive your brain of information, it'll fill in the gaps. AR will fail because the nerds fail to understand that aspect of the mind.

Don't get me wrong, AR will be great for outdoor sports, but it isn't gonna be something people are gonna prefer over to VR when at home.

You aren’t replying to me, but my uncle was bringing home samples of VR tech from Japan (for work) when I was in college and I graduated in 2004.
VR was around in the early 90s, late 80s.

It wasn't until around 2010 where they figure out how to work around lensing issue.,

Basically they needed to manufacture the perfect lenses, then some clever nerd realized that if you scanned a lenses for all it's imperfections you could simply use softwear to compensate for those imperfections.

Reactions: Figgy44

Cubs2024wildcard

Caleb Williams is a bust
Apr 29, 2015

Yeah I don't necessarily think people understand that gaming's next step is VR and that we might only have one more generation of consoles before the next console after that is strapped to your face.

Like it or not, we're heading towards the Matrix. Headsets are going to get lighter and smaller moving forward and the stuff out now is only the beginning.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
I don’t think a lot of people realize just how insane the technology in this headset really is. Just like the iPhone and iPad, Apple put forth the technology and marketplace, now it’s up to developers to mold that marketplace and push the technology similarly.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Personally can’t wait until they digitize outdoor experiences. Imagine the real world, but digital. It’s gonna be sick bro.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Personally can’t wait until they digitize outdoor experiences. Imagine the real world, but digital. It’s gonna be sick bro.

neo-plugging-to-matrix.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Apple can move social acceptance and software implementation along with tech further along, then Android/Google and Meta can copy that, but if it was just left to its own devices it would take a lot longer.

Like say what you want, but if Apple didn't make the iPhone in 2007, cell phones probably would've stayed as some version of this:

51k4e8OPJ5L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

For the next 10+ years and even that, a lot of people probably would've just kept their standard "chocolate bar" phone.

Touchscreen wasn't some new technology, it had been around since the 1980s but nobody had the balls to make an entire OS ecosystem around a touch only interface.

There is a lot the Vision Pro is doing that other VR headsets aren't though. Most/all headsets require you to hold a seperate controller to navigate around with some janky secondary gesture input support, Vision is entirely usable just with your hands and eyes which is much more intuitive for a "normal person". The resolution of the displays is far higher than basically all VR headset. The input lag is lower than just about any display. But beyond that Apple is smart in that its blending VR + AR together, you are not shut off from the world around you, you can pop in and out and people can approach you and be seen by you even with the headset on. There isn't a headset that does all that.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It’s not spending it on the existing user base, it’s spending that money to get more people into that user base because they’re more profitable per person on the new platform. Apple can burn billions a year for a decade on this project and they’ll come out ahead by year 2 of mass adoption.

This will be mass adopted just like the MetaVerse was/is.

VR is garbage

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Odds are better now than before Apple entered the ring. They don’t put out half-baked products. And with their ties to MLS, they’d have a good reason to get sports right.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Apple can move social acceptance and software implementation along with tech further along, then Android/Google and Meta can copy that, but if it was just left to its own devices it would take a lot longer.

Like say what you want, but if Apple didn't make the iPhone in 2007, cell phones probably would've stayed as some version of this:

51k4e8OPJ5L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

For the next 10+ years and even that, a lot of people probably would've just kept their standard "chocolate bar" phone.

Touchscreen wasn't some new technology, it had been around since the 1980s but nobody had the balls to make an entire OS ecosystem around a touch only interface.

There is a lot the Vision Pro is doing that other VR headsets aren't though. Most/all headsets require you to hold a seperate controller to navigate around with some janky secondary gesture input support, Vision is entirely usable just with your hands and eyes which is much more intuitive for a "normal person". The resolution of the displays is far higher than basically all VR headset. The input lag is lower than just about any display. But beyond that Apple is smart in that its blending VR + AR together, you are not shut off from the world around you, you can pop in and out and people can approach you and be seen by you even with the headset on. There isn't a headset that does all that.
Not even close, Apple is always 3-5 behind anything happening in the PC/Android sphere. The only difference they make is even though PC/Android create some of the most cutting-edge software first, Apple can normally make it a streamlined process without any bugs and allow it to run smoothly. I am not even a Microsoft/Android fanboy, but Apple doesn't do anything different from them and charges 1.5x the price because it is a "named brand." They ain't revolutionaries like Google is.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Not even close, Apple is always 3-5 behind anything happening in the PC/Android sphere. The only difference they make is even though PC/Android create some of the most cutting-edge software first, Apple can normally make it a streamlined process without any bugs and allow it to run smoothly. I am not even a Microsoft/Android fanboy, but Apple doesn't do anything different from them and charges 1.5x the price because it is a "named brand." They ain't revolutionaries like Google is.
Apple is currently leading the industry with M series power-efficient processors (as measured by perf/watt), and nobody is remotely close. I’m not aware of any Windows/Android device that allows you near 24-hour battery life while editing 4k video, compiling scripts, and/or running computational simulations (ex. Monte Carlo). Im not sure why Android is even worth mentioning in this context, since they’ve never once led the mobile industry (phone or tablet) in raw power or efficiency. Your statement is just incorrect.

Last edited:

zoA

Mar 23, 2010

As someone that worked at Google, you’re insane to think that innovation stops because of failures. A major reason these companies continue to be so successful is because they’re willing to fail.

For a lot of things, the tech just isn’t advanced enough for the concept to be ready for commercial use. The world is going to slowly pass a lot of people by in this thread. That said, I don’t think we’re anywhere close to VR or even AR becoming part of daily use. Make no mistake though, whether it’s Musk’s implant or another company’s innovative product, this is the direction the world is headed in. Hell, half the topics at the tech conference I’m at next week are all regarding AI being the key to VR/AR.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
As someone that worked at Google, you’re insane to think that innovation stops because of failures. A major reason these companies continue to be so successful is because they’re willing to fail.

For a lot of things, the tech just isn’t advanced enough for the concept to be ready for commercial use. The world is going to slowly pass a lot of people by in this thread. That said, I don’t think we’re anywhere close to VR or even AR becoming part of daily use. Make no mistake though, whether it’s Musk’s implant or another company’s innovative product, this is the direction the world is headed in. Hell, half the topics at the tech conference I’m at next week are all regarding AI being the key to VR/AR.
Condolences. I imagine the other half will be people talking about doomsday prep.

Reactions: Ceremony

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Apple is currently leading the industry with M series power-efficient processors (as measured by perf/watt), and nobody is remotely close. I’m not aware of any Windows/Android device that allows you near 24-hour battery life while editing 4k video, compiling scripts, and/or running computational simulations (ex. Monte Carlo). Im not sure why Android is even worth mentioning in this context, since they’ve never once led the mobile industry (phone or tablet) in raw power or efficiency. Your statement is just incorrect.
This sounds like someone who invested his lifesaving in its stock and has to justify it at all costs lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

original-Android-iPhone-keyboard1.png

That pretty much says it all, Android started off as another Blackberry knock off, it did not even have a touch screen. It's basically like any other business category phone you'd see in 2006.

After they saw the iPhone they completely changed course to copy its multitouch OS design.

If Apple did not create the iPhone in 2007 who knows how long it would have taken to have multitouch based smartphones like we recognize today.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I don’t think a lot of people realize just how insane the technology in this headset really is. Just like the iPhone and iPad, Apple put forth the technology and marketplace, now it’s up to developers to mold that marketplace and push the technology similarly.
Have you ever heard of companies like Varjo or Pimax?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad