VR (Like Apple's Vision Pro) Will Revolutionize Sports "Viewing"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
There's definitely going to be an uptick in Pokemon GO players being run over by cars if Pokemon GO VR happens.

Honestly maybe just modern Darwinism.

• Haha
Reactions: me2 and triggrman

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Not sure if you’re joking or not. But it’s very obvious that’s the way technology has been trending. Look at the money the biggest technology companies in the world have been pumping into VR. It will become imbedded into everyday life eventually. Video games, sporting events, work meetings, movies, concerts…

I’m not saying I’m into it. But it’s pretty clear where this is heading.
i remember seeing The Lawnmower Man as a kid and being told how VR was the future lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Adult in 2035: We also used to get our oxygen from trees - it was a simpler, better time, before you came along and ruined your mom’s breasts.

Smartphones are a near-perfect mixture of connectivity, processing power, visual fidelity, with passable audio.

You really think they’re going to be replaced by glasses?

Nice.

I can see it from kids of the future sure.

A phone you have to pull out of your pocket, bring it up to viewing level, unlock it, etc. etc. The display is locked at a small 6-7 inches more or less.

An (eventually) light weight pair of glasses where you can look up and still see people around you put also have things like sports scores or (the game itself on a display any size you want), directions or breaking news show up has a lot of functional/practical appeal.

Kids wear bulky headphones no problem, if a product like that is there for them, I have little doubt a lot of them will start ditching the smartphone completely.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I mean I guess.

I enjoy every aspect of it, and I'm older. I think all this stuff enhances the experience.

But if you didn’t have it, you wouldn’t think you’re missing out.

Sports became as universally popular as they are without all this garbage, because they’re fundamentally about watching the cool feats that can be accomplished with dedication and cooperation.

This is as analogue as it gets.

Funny enough. In the 80's growing up, I never remember anyone saying we'd all be walking around with notepad sized computer/communication devices, yet here we are

You never watched TNG?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

A phone you have to pull out of your pocket, bring it up to viewing level, unlock it, etc. etc.

An (eventually) light weight pair of glasses where you can look up and still see people around you put also have things like sports scores or directions or breaking news show up has a lot of functional/practical appeal.
Again, you're just trying real hard to sell a vaguely novel delivery method. This isn't the difference between having to buy a newspaper and check the scores vs. having to sit down at a computer desk vs. being able to pull a thing with a screen out of your pocket. It's being able to pull that thing with a screen out of your pocket vs. putting on a pair of glasses, in either case likely using either a voice command or your thumbs to pull up the result you want.

Stop talking about this shit like it's a neural implant that will pump the answer to your question into your brain as soon as you think about it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
But if you didn’t have it, you wouldn’t think you’re missing out.

Sports became as universally popular as they are without all this garbage, because they’re fundamentally about watching the cool feats that can be accomplished with dedication and cooperation.

This is as analogue as it gets.

You never watched TNG?
Since I didn't know what TNG was until I googled your question, I'm going to say no. It didn't start airing though until I was already in my high school days, I didn't watch TV much then. Did they have smart phones?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Again, you're just trying real hard to sell a vaguely novel delivery method. This isn't the difference between having to buy a newspaper and check the scores vs. having to sit down at a computer desk vs. being able to pull a thing with a screen out of your pocket. It's being able to pull that thing with a screen out of your pocket vs. putting on a pair of glasses, in either case using either a voice command or your thumbs to pull up the result you want.

Stop talking about this shit like it's a neural implant that will pump the answer to your question into your brain as soon as you think about it.

Well I mean even with the Apple headset right now you don't even need thumb commands you just look at what you want via eye tracking and it can register what it is you want. There are only simple pinch movements for selecting things but not for navigating.

Unless your argument is this tech will never get down to glasses level, but I think that's foolish. It will get there, just a matter of time.

Did you really think smartphones would forever and ever be the only end product computing platform ... kids in 20, 30 years will laugh at that, same as kids today laugh at a rotary phone and even a CD player.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary

A phone you have to pull out of your pocket, bring it up to viewing level, unlock it, etc. etc. The display is locked at a small 6-7 inches more or less.

An (eventually) light weight pair of glasses where you can look up and still see people around you put also have things like sports scores or (the game itself on a display any size you want), directions or breaking news show up has a lot of functional/practical appeal.

Kids wear bulky headphones no problem, if a product like that is there for them, I have little doubt a lot of them will start ditching the smartphone completely.

Kids do all sorts of goofy things before they’ve learned how to talk to women.

And seriously, I don’t get the “any size display you want” thing - is that a
Projection, is it in the glass - again, how does that work, how is that not hard on your eyes, and how is it better image quality than a larger, physical screen?

How do you type on glasses? Are we meant to use speech to text to post on forums?

Far be it from me to stand in the way of progress, but if that’s the future, it seems way too easy to opt out.

Since I didn't know what TNG was until I googled your question, I'm going to say no. It didn't start airing though until I was already in my high school days, I didn't watch TV much then. Did they have smart phones?

Star Trek The Next Generation - it’s the show where the Apple and Microsoft engineers got all their good ideas.

Give it a watch.

Reactions: triggrman

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Projection, is it in the glass - again, how does that work, how is that not hard on your eyes, and how is it better image quality than a larger, physical screen?

How do you type on glasses? Are we meant to use speech to text to post on forums?

Far be it from me to stand in the way of progress, but if that’s the future, it seems way too easy to opt out.
This post has a "Tell me bout the good ole days" feel to it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

You can watch the Apple Vision video on Youtube, you can have 4 or 5 "displays" basically floating in the air with your real world vision right behind it. And you can change the size of those "windows" to however you want, you can even make it like 100 feet by 100 feet theater screen if you feel like watching a movie.

To type it has a floating keyboard or you can just use a regular keyboard, again it doesn't obstruct your vision.

It can even do things like you can look at your Macbook, and it will take the screen that was on your Macbook and make it float it air alongside several other screens, so you can have your computer screen on the left, the hockey game on the right, and the displays can be far bigger than what your physical laptop and TV displays are.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Well I mean even with the Apple headset right now you don't even need thumb commands you just look at what you want via eye tracking and it can register what it is you want. There are only simple pinch movements for selecting things but not for navigating.

Unless your argument is this tech will never get down to glasses level, but I think that's foolish. It will get there, just a matter of time.

Did you really think smartphones would forever and ever be the only end product computing platform ... kids in 20, 30 years will laugh at that, same as kids today laugh at a rotary phone and even a CD player.
Where do I look when I want to access the mp3s and movies that I pirated?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Where do I look when I want to access the mp3s and movies that I pirated?

Look at your Folders icon I would guess? lol. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of iPhone and iPad owners with pirated content on their devices.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary

But a CD player or rotary phone doesn’t hurt your eyes.

Those devices were replaced by things that did their job better. Cordless phones with touch tone buttons were better than rotaries.

They were in turn replaced by cellular phones, and ultimately rendered obsolete by smartphones.

CDs replaced cassettes, and were then replaced by mp3 players, which were replaced by iPods, which were replaced by streaming.

You can clearly see how each technological advance improves upon the previous one.

I’m certainly willing to be wrong, but I do not see what this offers that’s superior to the smartphone in an everyday use case.

Smartphones are with us and turned on 24/7, and stay that way until they’re replaced.

You can’t do that with glasses.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
But a CD player or rotary phone doesn’t hurt your eyes.

Those devices were replaced by things that did their job better. Cordless phones with touch tone buttons were better than rotaries.

They were in turn replaced by cellular phones, and ultimately rendered obsolete by smartphones.

CDs replaced cassettes, and were then replaced by mp3 players, which were replaced by iPods, which were replaced by streaming.

You can clearly see how each technological advance improves upon the previous one.

I’m certainly willing to be wrong, but I do not see what this offers that’s superior to the smartphone in an everyday use case.

Smartphones are with us and turned on 24/7, and stay that way until they’re replaced.

You can’t do that with glasses.
The only "selling point" that I've seen anyone attempt to make with VR is that it just gives you the stuff you have on your phone, except permanently; as if having a Twitter feed scrolling by in the corner of your eye at all times is somehow a good thing, or as if looking at your Spotify playlist to change songs instead of pressing a button is somehow revolutionary. Like, those are the typical use cases being argued for when it comes to mass adoption.

And in typical Apple fashion there will be no way for you to repair it when it f***s up within a year and you'll have to buy the new model.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad