Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I definitely feel better about this deal than when it was first announced. The 4.5 cap hit is great. Hopefully this means Schenn moves to LW and Couts is the 3rd line center until he is ready to take over 2nd line duties.

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011
I don't hate this deal, I just don't see any need at all.

Our even strength offence was bad because we struggled to break out of the zone. We already addressed that with Streit. We need veteran leadership to replace Briere? Eh, I didn't see that as a major need, but even it was, we had already addressed that with Streit. We're not good at faceoffs, but how is Schenn supposed to get any better playing on the wing? And Lecavalier isn't that great at faceoffs (Last few seasons: 54.4%, 47.8%, 50.9%, 53.2% 50.9% 48.8%). I'd say thats a little above average, certainly not a big strength of his though.

We don't have any cap issues this season, but this signing pretty much means the end of Matt Read after this season (can anyone post a credible 2014-15 roster with Read still around?) I'd have much rather kept Read around at 28 than signed Lecavalier at 33. People assume we can just dump Mez, but the last time we had to dump salary, we ended up having to take on 3 years of useless Matt Walker.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Some kid on the Penguins' board informed me that Lecavalier doesn't improve Even Strength scoring.

Lecavalier's even strength pacing through the years:
2012-13: 48 EV Points
2011-12: 49 EV Points
2010-11: 33 EV Points
2009-10: 45 EV Points
2008-09: 44 EV Points
2007-08: 60 EV Points
2006-07: 63 EV Points
2005-06: 41 EV Points

Giroux's even strength pacing through the years:
2012-13: 44 EV Points
2011-12: 56 EV Points
2010-11: 50 EV Points
2009-10: 26 EV Points
2008-09: 41 EV Points

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Montreal is having a meltdown yet again. I love it. Like others have said, teams were so excited to get him, now he is washed up. Typical Philly hate.

Some people on here are so stupid. Some one literally said the Flyers are stupid cause Vinny is the type of player you add when you're close and the Flyers aren't close. That maybe true but in a couple yrs they will and guess what he was on the market now not in a couple yrs. Then a Detroit fans says that fans hate the Flyers cause they drive up the price on UFAs. :laugh: The butt hurt is amazing.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
So, is Vinny on G's wing? Or maybe one of Schenn or Couts is gone for a D?
Rumor I heard, part of Vinny's "demands" were he gets to be a 1st or 2nd line C, and 1st line PP.

I'm fine with this deal, although he really doesn't fit a "need". When healthy, he makes our team better.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
His full NMC will likely prevent that from happening. :)

Yup ...we doled out another NMC.

We did need a player like Vinny but it's still a bit rich ...but a lot of teams courted him. I'm content but not totally happy. At least though he's not like Bryz and that ridik contract....

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Rumor I heard, part of Vinny's "demands" were he gets to be a 1st or 2nd line C, and 1st line PP.

I'm fine with this deal, although he really doesn't fit a "need". When healthy, he makes our team better.

well, if that is true, he definitely should have known he isn't getting 1st line C duties and probably not even 1st line PP.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Makes you proud to be a fan, doesn't it? You know that no matter what they do it's to try to win, even if they have to pay a ton of money to get people to leave. And I'm sure Homer isn't done for the offseason either.

I agree with you.

I'm sick of the hate on the main boards.

I've seen Homer compared to Jay Feaster, (ARE YOU KIDDING ME?) and The Flyers compared to the Detroit lions. :facepalm:

In the great words of Charles Barkley, "I don't like people, people are stupid."

Brostradamus

LegionOfDoom Reunion
Feb 2, 2012
Dub C
Man, the main boards are so mad.

images

But seriously, great cap hit, would have been happier with 3-4 years but who cares at the end of the day it's a great signing. Can't wait to see this guy in Orange next year.

Edit: And according to NHL Network he took less money to play in Philadelphia, be it for Giroux connection or just because he likes the organization.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Team defence? They just did. Unfortunately one of schenn or cooter is gone for a goalie and a pick/dman prospect or something of the like.
Vinny is a good player with lots left in the tank, whom I'm surprised is a flyer.
We upgraded team defense just getting rid of briere, who was one of our "leaders". Just teach the rest of our forwards not to be lazy in the defensive zone and we will be fine.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
Some kid on the Penguins' board informed me that Lecavalier doesn't improve Even Strength scoring.

Lecavalier's even strength pacing through the years:
2012-13: 48 EV Points
2011-12: 49 EV Points
2010-11: 33 EV Points
2009-10: 45 EV Points
2008-09: 44 EV Points
2007-08: 60 EV Points
2006-07: 63 EV Points
2005-06: 41 EV Points

Giroux's even strength pacing through the years:
2012-13: 44 EV Points
2011-12: 56 EV Points
2010-11: 50 EV Points
2009-10: 26 EV Points
2008-09: 41 EV Points

Really like this move. Now if we can sign Gagne and put him with Vinny that would be sweet. Vinny is a leader and one tough hombre. A pro's pro. Funny how all the teams were after him and now that the Flyers have him he is washed up.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
I wish I could say that I'm surprised by this, but I'm not. The cap hit is fine, but a bit too long for what I would want. More than anything I'm annoyed that the defense and goal tending haven't been significantly upgraded since that is a much more glaring need. Though maybe this signing is a set up to trade some player(s) to upgrade one of those areas. I won't be holding my breath on that one though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Some people on here are so stupid. Some one literally said the Flyers are stupid cause Vinny is the type of player you add when you're close and the Flyers aren't close. That maybe true but in a couple yrs they will and guess what he was on the market now not in a couple yrs. Then a Detroit fans says that fans hate the Flyers cause they drive up the price on UFAs. :laugh: The butt hurt is amazing.

It's back to the drawing board for more conspiracy theories when talking about the Flyers since that one about agents and players blacklisting the Flyers didn't come to fruition.

Wasn't there a report out there that Toronto offered a similar deal or possibly more too? :laugh:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
well, if that is true, he definitely should have known he isn't getting 1st line C duties and probably not even 1st line PP.
Well, he's the 2nd line center as a lock. He should be playing on the PP. He's a great passer. Hartnell is going to 2nd unit IMO.

Giroux, Lecav, Simmonds, JV, Kimmo will be first unit, and might i add, will be @#$%ing lethal.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
Sarah Baicker ‏@sbaickerCSN
If I'm the Flyers... I try and parlay the Lecavalier thing into making Yandle a Flyer. Send Coburn and a forward (Couturier? Schenn?) to PHX

lol. no please.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
My God I can't stop reading the main board. If he doesn't play a single game as a Flyer, this signing was still a success if only for ruining so many people's days. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad