Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Gagne is what, 6'1 or 6'2? That's around average. Couturier is a big kid though. Read is the only "undersized" forward on that line.

Im not referring to their height, but their physical play. Couts and Read both hit accessional but Gagne doesn't hit much if at all. I wouldn't hate it but would want more physicality if possible

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Im not referring to their height, but their physical play. Couts and Read both hit accessional but Gagne doesn't hit much if at all. I wouldn't hate it but would want more physicality if possible

then you can always switch Read and Simmonds if you want

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
That's a very real possibility. I hadn't thought of that. That way he can retire a TBL.

I think that the signing of Mark and Vinny might be what it takes to get Thomas to sign here for under 4 mil per. We have obviously made the statement that we are making a push for the cup next year and that might interest Thomas a lot. It might also encourage Miller to be willing to resign here if traded but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I honestly think that we'll trade Meszaros for whatever and sign Thomas for 2-3 years at about 4 mil per. we'd still have room to sign Gags at 2 mil if we wanted for the 3rd line.

This is what I have for us:

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($2.500m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Bruno Gervais ($0.825m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Tim Thomas ($4.000m)
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,891,022; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $1,791,022

McGinn and Gervais start in the minors for 1 game until Pronger can go on LTIR which would make us cap compliant. Pronger goes on LTIR on day 1, call up those 2 guys, and we have 3.5 mil in cap space. This has Mesz being traded BTW.

Not a bad lineup. I could see where the Vinny signing could intrigue some FA in coming here even more.

flyersgal

Apr 27, 2013
Not a bad signing, but it temporarily puts us over the cap until Pronger can go on LTIR. How will be cap compliant before the summer? Do you think Homer is going to move Coburn (I hope not), or Mez (don't see that happening with his history of injuries)?

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Per Bill...agree about the length of the contract. Like I said..I'm content about the signing but not completely happy with the contract and NMC...

The Flyers have signed center Vincent Lecavalier to a five-year contract with a $4.5 million cap hit per season. My immediate reactions:

* The Flyers wanted to get bigger up front this offseason and add at least one more skill player to the forward lineup to replace the bought-out Danny Briere. Lecavalier has not been a superstar-level player in about five years but he is still a good second-line player.

* I don't like the length of the contract even a little bit, although I know that Lecavalier wanted a contract of that length wherever he signed. Although he is hardly ancient at 33, he is not the player he was a few years ago. This contract has the potential to become an albtross around the Flyers necks in the next two or three years if Lecavalier does not meet expectations.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...lier-Tuesday-Quick-Hits/45/52480#.UdN4qeCAR8s

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Nobody is ever going to sign in Philly again. That organization is just classless.

So true!

bWPlqg5.gif

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
Bryan Bickell......$4million cap hit
Or
Lecavalier....$4.5 million cap hit

I don't think that move is too bad

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Not a bad signing, but it temporarily puts us over the cap until Pronger can go on LTIR. How will be cap compliant before the summer? Do you think Homer is going to move Coburn (I hope not), or Mez (don't see that happening with his history of injuries)?
You can go 10% over in the offseason.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
UGH.... don't like the length at all, way too long... I knew they were going to do this.

Time to beg on our hands and knees for a 3rd buyout.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Tampa Bay Times:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...vinny-lecavalier-headed-to-the-flyers/2129717

"Very excited," Philadelphia's Claude Giroux told ESPN.com. "He's going to bring a lot to our team."

Lecavalier, 33, has spent the past few days meeting and talking with suitors to talk about his future. Potential landing places included the Stars, Flames, Maple Leafs, Canadiens and Red Wings, among others.

The Flyers also are an interesting choice given the team's history with the Lightning. In fact, it can be argued the Flyers are Tampa Bay's biggest rival. The teams have met twice in the playoffs and in November 2011, the teams played the famous stall game in which the Flyers, in apparent protest of the Lightning's 1-3-1 defensive scheme, refused at times to skate the puck out of their own end.

As it turns out, Lecavalier will make out better financially than if he had stayed with Tampa Bay, which still owed Lecavalier $45 million in the last seven years of his deal. With his new $22.5 million deal added to the $32.667 million he will be paid by the Lightning, Lecavalier will make $55.167 million.

--------------------------------------

ESPN:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nhl&id=25908&src=desktop

But the Philadelphia Flyers won out, agreeing to pay $22.5 million over five years for the 33-year-old center.

The Montreal Canadiens were in the mix for a good run, as well, but couldn’t make it work. The Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings also got serious consideration from Lecavalier among the 15 or so teams that showed interest.

“Wow,” one executive, whose team wasn’t in the running, texted to ESPN.com after the deal was announced.

Is Lecavalier worth $4.5 million a season?

The Flyers get a very motivated player who is out to prove he can still compete at an elite level. And in choosing Philadelphia, Lecavalier proved many wrong and showed that he was willing to go to a real hockey market.

Flyers captain Claude Giroux was pumped to hear the news, texting ESPN.com to say, “Really excited, he will bring a lot to our team.”

Lecavalier will bring his 6-foot-4 frame, to be sure, and hands that have always been soft. I give Lecavalier credit for not choosing what seemed like the safest choice in Dallas, where he would have made good money and been left alone, as was the case all those years with the Tampa Bay Lightning, a team in another non-traditional hockey market.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Talbot - Hall/Laughton/FA - Rinaldo

Timonen - Schenn
Coburn - Streit
Grossmann - Meszaros/Gus

Mason
X

This is really solid. Stand pat Holmgren. Just find a goalie.

Calderone

old time hockey
Oct 18, 2008
Philly Metro Area
Meh.. not that excited over the deal. I have always liked Vinny and the $$ isn't bad, but a five year deal? With a full NMC?!? Sorry, but that is too much. He is still a decent player, but not great, I have watched him at times over the last two seasons and thought that he seemed disinterested, he would float around rather than play hard all the time. Plus he has dealt with injuries over the last few years, now he plays around 60 games a year as opposed to around 80. And everyone keeps saying how 33 isn't old, but Vinny has A TON of wear for a 33 yr old, he's been in the league FOURTEEN SEASONS already!! ..like I said, I've always liked him, and a part of me is happy he's in the O & B, but I can see big regret coming in yrs 3-5.

An aside... if no big move is made in the next couple of days, then I think the flyers may really be making a run at Shea Weber. They now have the pieces to do it -- Couturier, Coburn and a pick might do it. The thing is Weber can't be traded until something like July 23rd, that being one year after he officially signed his contract. Just something to ponder, though it most likely wont happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad