Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
While eating delicious beef jerky.

I just don't see someone at that age who's considering on coming back to play a sport professionally spending the majority of his time sitting on a couch eating Cheetos and drinking beer.

I mean I don't have any knowledge on what he did during that time but logic would suggest he was staying in shape and practicing.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Sign me up, all aboard the Lecavalier, Tim Thomas, Mark Streit Express. 3 years ago would be better?

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
To those suggesting that the team should avoid additional long-term commitments and preserve some cap flexibility, I agree, but it just isn't the Flyers' style.

I'd much rather have them give Vinny L. $4.5 per year til he's 37/38 than Clowe $5+ until he's 35/36

Phunhog

Jul 18, 2007
33? Your Honor, my client is still a yout.
220110629145550003_t607.JPG

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
More then half of our D are injury prone or injured!

I'm not sure if your serious but I'm pretty sure Mez is the only one still injured and since he probably won't be in the starting 6 that's not really a problem. The only one I'd consider injury prone would be Grossmann so I think we're in good shape.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
The cap hit is good and there's no doubt he's still a good player, but I still have no confidence in our goaltending, unless we manage to get Halak out of St. Louis. Our defense, while I feel will be better than some think, also isn't championship caliber. The forward lineup is the only thing that looks like a Stanley Cup contending team. I feel like this is a move that should be made when your team is close to contending. But hey, the offseason is far from over. Let's see what else happens.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
The big thing about Lavy's system is controlling the puck in the offensive zone. Vinny and Streit will help that out in a huge way next season so I love this pick up. Schenn isn't ready for the number 2 center role with the way he gets lost in the defensive zone.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
The cap hit is good and there's no doubt he's still a good player, but I still have no confidence in our goaltending, unless we manage to get Halak out of St. Louis. Our defense, while I feel will be better than some think, also isn't championship caliber. The forward lineup is the only thing that looks like a Stanley Cup contending team. I feel like this is a move that should be made when your team is close to contending. But hey, the offseason is far from over. Let's see what else happens.

I think this team is a lot closer to having a good shot than a lot of people think.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
I'm not sure if your serious but I'm pretty sure Mez is the only one still injured and since he probably won't be in the starting 6 that's not really a problem. The only one I'd consider injury prone would be Grossmann so I think we're in good shape.

I would add Mark Streit to the list, and if we have move Coburn I am noy all that impressed with our D

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Vinny Lecasdkfhpastabowlieryar (spelling in question)...is a bargain...33 he's still got 5 years in the tank if he plays smart, and besides woopty freakin do about the nmc...the flyers do not give a crap about rules...have you people not learned this, we are the juggernaut *****.

Homer is a criminal mastermind and the scariest gm in the league...watch him be interviewed by Tim Panotch and let me know if you would have liked to be the oilers gm at the draft...he looked like he was going to crap his drawers at one point.

I don't care...bottom line, Homer has balls...this organization is just ridiculous, always in the mix for names and by god Ed Snider is just burning money like its nothing all to win a cup. There was a thread earlier about if the flyers would be better when Ed Snider Croaks...I seriously doubt we are going to be as in the mix every single season for top players when he kicks the bucket.

Bryz?!

Top FA Forward, and Defenseman available...

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Cap space doesn't score you goals. Vinny is still a really good player and probably will be for the length of the deal. Christ, $4.5m is next to nothing really. Freakin' Bickell is earning $4m.

I LOVE this move. I love this team. We don't sit back and take **** from anyone. One bad year? Improve the team at all costs.

Well done Sir!! :yo: :banana: :clap:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Vinny has slowed down a bit, but he's still really damn dangerous in the offensive zone. He brings leadership, offensive production, size and faceoff ability.

You can pretty much pencil him in for 0.7-0.8 PPG for the next few years. If healthy, 60-70 pts is easily attainable and almost guaranteed.

All for $4.5M cap hit...awesome.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Love Vinny but they guy is really on the down side of his career. Please take it easy on him if he doesn't live up to 4.5 a year. Hopefully his leadership is good for you guys and maybe he can lead your team far into the playoffs this year if he stays healthy. But he is really slowing down. I hope you can get a few good years out of him. The market was what it is though. Not many VL out there every year in FA. 4.5 isn't all that bad though because he when healthy he will contribute but he's clearly over that hump of dominance that he used to show. His leadership, experience, and skill will still be there and I guess that's what Holmgren was paying for. Watching him last year I felt we would use that buyout. But we were paying him a lot more than 4.5 a year. TB would probably take him at that amount but only because he has done so much for our community and don't forget led our team to the cup in 04. You guys saw that up close. He's not that player anymore but he will show some flashes of it here and there. Good luck with VL! Treat him well!!

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I just don't see someone at that age who's considering on coming back to play a sport professionally spending the majority of his time sitting on a couch eating Cheetos and drinking beer.

I mean I don't have any knowledge on what he did during that time but logic would suggest he was staying in shape and practicing.

Cheetos? Nah, Thomas strikes me as a Funyun kind of guy.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
This was quite the shocker. I love having Lecavalier on the team, but that's many years and a big cap hit for this team. I know it's very reasonable for the player Lecavalier still is, but I was kind of getting used to the team's cap situation to not be a red number.

Hey, Beef, we can find the Flyers on capgeek again!

And I can't disagree with the whole "Let's sign another centre!!!" chuckles. May we have a second goaltender, please? And a second goaltender with the Phantoms, too? Heeter / Shooter Tutor doesn't fill me with a whole lot of comfort if one / both of the Flyers goaltenders goes down with an injury. That's the other consideration with Thomas: if he comes in, can he stand up to 25-35 games injury-free after a whole season off? I know he has been very, very healthy over his career, which is a plus, but the margin of error would be slim to none with nobody ready in the minors. Yet.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This was quite the shocker. I love having Lecavalier on the team, but that's many years and a big cap hit for this team. I know it's very reasonable for the player Lecavalier still is, but I was kind of getting used to the team's cap situation to not be a red number.

Hey, Beef, we can find the Flyers on capgeek again!

And I can't disagree with the whole "Let's sign another centre!!!" chuckles. May we have a second goaltender, please? And a second goaltender with the Phantoms, too? Heeter / Shooter Tutor doesn't fill me with a whole lot of comfort if one / both of the Flyers goaltenders goes down with an injury. That's the other consideration with Thomas: if he comes in, can he stand up to 25-35 games injury-free after a whole season off? I know he has been very, very healthy over his career, which is a plus, but the margin of error would be slim to none with nobody ready in the minors. Yet.

Holmgren probably got tired of scanning through 5 teams to see our cap status on that site. "I know what will fix that!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad