Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
I would have kept Briere and his contract than do Lecavalier. So in about two years they also got rid of a current 28 year old good number 2 centre who went on to win a SC and replaced him with a 33 year old number 2 centre for about a million less. Man they never learn.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
This was quite the shocker. I love having Lecavalier on the team, but that's many years and a big cap hit for this team. I know it's very reasonable for the player Lecavalier still is, but I was kind of getting used to the team's cap situation to not be a red number.

Hey, Beef, we can find the Flyers on capgeek again!

And I can't disagree with the whole "Let's sign another centre!!!" chuckles. May we have a second goaltender, please? And a second goaltender with the Phantoms, too? Heeter / Shooter Tutor doesn't fill me with a whole lot of comfort if one / both of the Flyers goaltenders goes down with an injury. That's the other consideration with Thomas: if he comes in, can he stand up to 25-35 games injury-free after a whole season off? I know he has been very, very healthy over his career, which is a plus, but the margin of error would be slim to none with nobody ready in the minors. Yet.

Posted this in the Trades board thread, in response to markzab raving at people thinking we're in cap hell. Thought I'd share:

Go to Cap Calculator, demote extra players Akeson, Bourdon and Gervais (at no NHL cap hit as they are below $900K) and trade Pronger (can't LTIR on Capgeek) and Whoop, there it is, $5.7million in cap space.

In my view, they could always trade Mesz or even Max Talbot, who would have lots of takers, to free up some more space.

If they are really tight, they can just sent laughton back to Jr. and sign Adam Hall as 4C and save another $600K. Tye McGinn is going to be on the roster at 3LW or 4LW (dep. on where they play Talbot). I signed Gustafsson at $1.1MM.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m) Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.100m) /

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,399,594; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $5,700,406

Salary Cap Space: $5,700,406

That's almost enough to take on Ryan Miller's contract, and easily Halak's, or sign Tim Thomas at $3.5MM....

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I would add Mark Streit to the list, and if we have move Coburn I am noy all that impressed with our D

This:

Streit hasn't missed a game in two years. He missed 2010-11, but outside of that has missed only 15 in six seasons.

And, Coburn was good for us two yrs ago and most people on here considered him a valued member of the core and wouldn't considered trading him short of an overpayment. 33 games later in a shortened season when the whole team played like garbage (minus a select few) and suddenly he becomes garbage himself?

Same can be said for Voracek and this fan base, he had a rough start and everyone wanted him traded then he turned it on and now he's the most untouchable player on the team behind Giroux. This was after everyone was psyched about his new contract and his play in the playoffs. The short sightedness of some on here is beyond ridiculous.

With that said if Coburn doesn't have a bounce back season playing with Streit then I'll be all for moving him but until then I think the Flyers are better off keeping him cause he's more valuable to this team then most like to admit.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
do you guys remember he punched talbot when he was down, had a fight with schenn

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga
Does anyone think this signing is in response to Ed Snider saying "you'd better win the Cup or you are done?" It is peculiar that Snider went with them to the draft (though could be explained by the fact that it was close by). I just wondered if not moving Coburn for futures was because Holmgren couldn't replace him.

Just spitballing here.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
This:

And, Coburn was good for us two yrs ago and most people on here considered him a valued member of the core and wouldn't considered trading him short of an overpayment. 33 games later in a shortened season when the whole team played like garbage (minus a select few) and suddenly he becomes garbage himself?

Same can be said for Voracek and this fan base, he had a rough start and everyone wanted him traded then he turned it on and now he's the most untouchable player on the team behind Giroux. This was after everyone was psyched about his new contract and his play in the playoffs. The short sightedness of some on here is beyond ridiculous.

With that said if Coburn doesn't have a bounce back season playing with Streit then I'll be all for moving him but until then I think the Flyers are better off keeping him cause he's more valuable to this team then most like to admit.

Agreed. I think Coburn's struggles last season were the symptom of a greater ill.

So according to Larry44 the Flyers have 5.7 in space - trade Meszaros and a late pick for a pick or AHL player - there's 9 million. Sign Thomas at 3 - there's 6 million. Now what?

Contrary to all the morons on the main board - the Flyers problem is getting back up to the cap in smart fashion - not "escaping from cap hell..."

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I would have kept Briere and his contract than do Lecavalier.

Sadly Briere provided nothing at this point in his career. Vinny is clearly the superior player and it's not even close plus he's 2 mil cheaper.

So in about two years they also got rid of a current 28 year old good number 2 centre who went on to win a SC and replaced him with a 33 year old number 2 centre for about a million less. Man they never learn.

Richards provided a great return. Sorry but Lecavalier, Simmonds, B Schenn >>>>> Richards and this is coming from a huge Richards fan. Add Cousins in there in the near future plus like you said Lecavalier is a mil cheaper and while he's older has been more productive. Granted Richards is a playoff warrior and provides great defense but I really don't understand how anyone could complain about this.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
And exactly what did Tampa do in that time compared to San Jose, NY, NJ, Boston, Vancouver, LA, etc.

It must have been tough on Vinny playing all those games by himself. He must feel relieved to know that he'll get to play with nineteen other guys in Philly.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Would like to keep Talbot around. A line of Rinaldo-Laughton-Talbot could be an effective 4th line.

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
Would like to keep Talbot around. A line of Rinaldo-Laughton-Talbot could be an effective 4th line.

I would rather have Tye McGinn and get something if not cap relief by trading talbot. Some picks would be nice since draft next year is in Philly.

hXc Chris

Jul 11, 2009
West Chester
Not that I need the extra boost because I know we got extremely good value in this contract but the main board reaction is how I know we really signed a nice deal. I remember these same reactions when we signed Pronger, Timonen, and Harntell. "OH YOURE DUMB GM JUST SENT YOU TO CAP HELL FOREVER!!

Though Pronger didnt work out as much as I hoped he would, it wasnt because of his contract or lack of play. I can still remember people saying 35+ contract you better hope he doesnt get injured or retire!

Well guys...

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
Does anyone think this signing is in response to Ed Snider saying "you'd better win the Cup or you are done?" It is peculiar that Snider went with them to the draft (though could be explained by the fact that it was close by). I just wondered if not moving Coburn for futures was because Holmgren couldn't replace him.

Just spitballing here.

Yes, then Snider ripped down all of Holmgrens 1D posters and put a post up on fb calling him an ugly poopy head.

These guys aren't 10 years old, and Snider isn't running around threatening people's job security thinking it equates production.

Timing is the most important aspect of winning a championship, and no one can control that.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Jealous of this signing. Was pretty much the only FA I wanted for the Devs.

People can ***** and moan about the cap issues, but I don't see it. The compliance buyouts make it both easier for a team to manage the cap (obviously) and also give potential trading partners additional flexibility.

On a side note, I certainly would not count on Tim Thomas walking in and performing at a high level. Not to mention the players/system he played in has made the last 3 goalies look like all stars (Rask and Khudobin even as well)...hoping you guys try it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad