Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It was a 4th round pick they traded, so they couldn't really say that.

But they would. In the same way the Leafs traded Seguin, Hamilton, and Knight for Kessel. In reality they traded a 2010 1st and 2nd and a 2011 1st.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Husso is on fire tonight @ FEL final game #3. Has kept his net intact for 2 periods and made many crucial saves.

Good to hear. I see they're currently up 3-0 in the 3rd. Hopefully Husso can lead HIFK to a 2-1 series lead after their 1-2 Game 2 loss.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Can one of the Finnish posters explain how the playoff series work in Finland? I see that today was game 3 and HIFK was the home team. We're the first two games in Tappara? I ask since HIFK had the best record in the regular season so I would assume they would have home ice advantage in this series.

wloff

May 25, 2013
Can one of the Finnish posters explain how the playoff series work in Finland? I see that today was game 3 and HIFK was the home team. We're the first two games in Tappara? I ask since HIFK had the best record in the regular season so I would assume they would have home ice advantage in this series.
There's no "2 home, 2 away" to start the series as in the NHL, it just alternates home, away, home etc all the way through. So games 1 and 3 were in Helsinki and games 2 and 4 were / will be in Tampere. IFK will have more home ice advantage overall, you're correct.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
There's no "2 home, 2 away" to start the series as in the NHL, it just alternates home, away, home etc all the way through. So games 1 and 3 were in Helsinki and games 2 and 4 were / will be in Tampere. IFK will have more home ice advantage overall, you're correct.

Thank you!

So it's 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 instead of 2-2-1-1-1. Interesting. Probably more fair that way but just more travel...which likely isn't a huge impact given Finland's size. Thanks again.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Here is something a bit OT, and I apologize if this comes off as ignorant, but I've always wondered with so many exceptional players coming out of Sweden and Finland, why are there no notable players coming out of Norway? Is hockey just not that big there?

wloff

May 25, 2013
Thank you!

So it's 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 instead of 2-2-1-1-1. Interesting. Probably more fair that way but just more travel...which likely isn't a huge impact given Finland's size. Thanks again.

Yeah, switching to the American type format hasn't really come up often, so I guess it just mostly doesn't matter, and the way we do it feels like the more "natural" way to do it anyway... I remember some coaches complaining about it when the teams happened to be like 4 or 5 hour bus drive apart, which is pretty much the worst you can get here, but even then it's the same for both teams, so meh I guess. Helsinki and Tampere are only some 2 hours apart, for example, so it's no biggie either way.

About the topic, ie. Husso these past couple of games:

- Game 2, (1-2 away loss) wasn't his best game. The game winning goal was a really weird and scrappy thing that I don't even know how it got through Husso - but the fact is, it did, and it was definitely something he should've saved. The first goal was a pretty good shot on PP, but also something he could've saved on another day. Husso wasn't bad as such, but it was an extremely close game, and the Tappara goalie won the battle of the goalies, which was enough for them to win the game.

- Game 3 was his best game in the playoffs yet! ANOTHER shutout, and a really big one - yeah, I know, we eventually crushed it 6-0 :)yo::yo::yo:), but his 1st star of the game was absolutely well deserved. When it was still "just" 3-0 and Tappara was gaining some big momentum and getting big chances, Husso made some fantastic saves and stopped their chase before it even began.

His playoff stats atm: 12GP, 9W, 1.34 GAA, .941 SV%, four shutouts.

Keep in mind he only had 5 shutouts in the entire 60 game regular season. Yeah, the team as a whole is defending much more solidly in the playoffs as they should, but I mean. Those are some mean stats. I don't want to jinx it when there's still two more wins to go though! :D

wloff

May 25, 2013
Here is something a bit OT, and I apologize if this comes off as ignorant, but I've always wondered with so many exceptional players coming out of Sweden and Finland, why are there no notable players coming out of Norway? Is hockey just not that big there?

It's just not big there like you said, for whatever reason. I mean, it's actually very few countries in Europe who are really into hockey. And when you think of it, it feels really random which ones that is. Finland, Sweden... Switzerland... and then Czech Republic and Slovakia. :laugh: So random - even geographically we're all over the map!

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Lack of investment really. Sweden and Finland built rinks, Norway didn't. Had Norway built the rinks years ago, I fully expect the game would have found a similar level to their neighbours.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Yeah, switching to the American type format hasn't really come up often, so I guess it just mostly doesn't matter, and the way we do it feels like the more "natural" way to do it anyway... I remember some coaches complaining about it when the teams happened to be like 4 or 5 hour bus drive apart, which is pretty much the worst you can get here, but even then it's the same for both teams, so meh I guess. Helsinki and Tampere are only some 2 hours apart, for example, so it's no biggie either way.

About the topic, ie. Husso these past couple of games:

- Game 2, (1-2 away loss) wasn't his best game. The game winning goal was a really weird and scrappy thing that I don't even know how it got through Husso - but the fact is, it did, and it was definitely something he should've saved. The first goal was a pretty good shot on PP, but also something he could've saved on another day. Husso wasn't bad as such, but it was an extremely close game, and the Tappara goalie won the battle of the goalies, which was enough for them to win the game.

- Game 3 was his best game in the playoffs yet! ANOTHER shutout, and a really big one - yeah, I know, we eventually crushed it 6-0 :)yo::yo::yo:), but his 1st star of the game was absolutely well deserved. When it was still "just" 3-0 and Tappara was gaining some big momentum and getting big chances, Husso made some fantastic saves and stopped their chase before it even began.

His playoff stats atm: 12GP, 9W, 1.34 GAA, .941 SV%, four shutouts.

Keep in mind he only had 5 shutouts in the entire 60 game regular season. Yeah, the team as a whole is defending much more solidly in the playoffs as they should, but I mean. Those are some mean stats. I don't want to jinx it when there's still two more wins to go though! :D

The most important part of Husso's game is that he can keep his head straight and focused. Being #1 goaltender to IFK is not an easy task, many have tried and fallen under pressure. Husso at tender age of 21 has been really, really good :handclap:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

I think this will give you the answer.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/winter-olympics-medal-count-sochi-all-time-facts

http://www.therichest.com/sports/ot...untries-at-the-olympic-winter-games/?view=all

Ice Hockey isn't that popular in Norway like Cross-Country Skiing, Skiing Jump etc. I think that is biggest reason why they don't have that much good hockey players, 'cus junior work is putting all resource in Winter sport and there isn't so many junior players.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The most important part of Husso's game is that he can keep his head straight and focused. Being #1 goaltender to IFK is not an easy task, many have tried and fallen under pressure. Husso at tender age of 21 has been really, really good :handclap:

And we've to remember this is his first year with full pro training before start the season. So 1+1, his potential + under pro training and coaching =

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
And we've to remember this is his first year with full pro training before start the season. So 1+1, his potential + under pro training and coaching =

How is this only his first year of pro training when he's been HIFK's starter for 3 seasons now?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
How is this only his first year of pro training when he's been HIFK's starter for 3 seasons now?

Picture of Husso in 2015 when he haven't keep his physical condition in shape and after full pro training. Current season has been totally upside compare to last year. Stats shows everything.

2016 aftter pro training and physical condition in top notch.

34-ville-husso.png

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Husso is gonna become the goalie version of Parayko on this board. A juggernaut from a cold, faraway land that only a couple people see play and everything they say makes him seem amazing. I hope he makes the jump like Parayko did. He could turn out to be a top-10 goalie.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I think Husso is our best goalie prospect. He's put up good numbers, I think getting him in North America next year under a 3 year ELC would be nice. I think he has potential to be a #1 guy down the road. However 2-3 AHL seasons probably would benefit before he jumps into the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad