Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) - Part II (Heading to UFA, Playing at the WCs)

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think he has a good chance to make the olympic roster. From a swedish standpoint he's unique.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I remember Afinogenov talking about it taking a year to get back to where he was prior (not that Max had a great shot... amazing skater and stickhandler but that shot was not good).

Yeah, he was just looney toons off ice (Afinogenov). It is great to see that Olofsson is getting his precision wrister back. He's looked a lot better in tight angles again for sure. You noticed that on his first goal against Chicago.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Given the injury, I wonder if VO bets on himself and just signs his QO if the Sabres offer it?
Good for VO, good for Sabres. Make him an offer mid-season based on his performance in the first half. If he performs well and signs, great. If not, he's a more valuable rental at the deadline before he goes to UFA.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Olofsson would probably be really excited to join Dahlin and Asplund in the WC. Come on Adams! Give him a good three year offer!

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
So Frank Seravalli had Olofsson on his last trade board before the deadline (not the earlier versions) and said that there was talk of his name out there shortly before the deadline, specifically because he's arbitration eligible and the team may not want to invest the kind of money in him that he's likely to be awared/ask for..

I also look at him and while he's undoubtedly a very good player, with both Peterka and Quinn on the team (and PP) next year, and with Krebs presumably taking a larger role, it may not be a bad idea to move VO this summer. I'm just not convinced, in large part because he's a UFA after next year if not signed long term, that he's somewhat superfluous on this team in the medium to long term.

So now may be a good time to try to capitalize on his trade value, if you believe what Seravalli reporting, or my line of thinking. If Tuch and Quinn are the top 2 RW (and then Peterka right behind them), I just don't see the long term necessity for Olofsson.

I'd much rather target a guy with more size/grit/physicality to their game to complement the other smaller, skilled forwards. In the draft thread I posted who I would like to target with the first pick or two (Snuggerrud, Gauthier and McGroarty) in part for those reasons, and in the UFA market there would be a guy like Nick Paul who would be a great addition, if available. As far as trade candidates go, I don't think ARI will move him, but Lawson Crouse would be the kind of player I'm talking about.

Not sure what other's thoughts are on here or the overall consensus, but that's my personal thinking, as much as I like what Olofsson has brought to the team the last few seasons. He's a great player, I just don't think he's a priority anymore.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So Frank Seravalli had Olofsson on his last trade board before the deadline (not the earlier versions) and said that there was talk of his name out there shortly before the deadline, specifically because he's arbitration eligible and the team may not want to invest the kind of money in him that he's likely to be awared/ask for..

I also look at him and while he's undoubtedly a very good player, with both Peterka and Quinn on the team (and PP) next year, and with Krebs presumably taking a larger role, it may not be a bad idea to move VO this summer. I'm just not convinced, in large part because he's a UFA after next year if not signed long term, that he's somewhat superfluous on this team in the medium to long term.

So now may be a good time to try to capitalize on his trade value, if you believe what Seravalli reporting, or my line of thinking. If Tuch and Quinn are the top 2 RW (and then Peterka right behind them), I just don't see the long term necessity for Olofsson.

I'd much rather target a guy with more size/grit/physicality to their game to complement the other smaller, skilled forwards. In the draft thread I posted who I would like to target with the first pick or two (Snuggerrud, Gauthier and McGroarty) in part for those reasons, and in the UFA market there would be a guy like Nick Paul who would be a great addition, if available. As far as trade candidates go, I don't think ARI will move him, but Lawson Crouse would be the kind of player I'm talking about.

Not sure what other's thoughts are on here or the overall consensus, but that's my personal thinking, as much as I like what Olofsson has brought to the team the last few seasons. He's a great player, I just don't think he's a priority anymore.

Frank wasn't alone - Friedman talked about the Rangers having looked at Olofsson's availability and then not liked the ask so they went in a different direction (which was then the 4th they traded for Vatrano's services from the Panthers).

Reactions: jmelm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Frank wasn't alone - Friedman talked about the Rangers having looked at Olofsson's availability and then not liked the ask so they went in a different direction (which was then the 4th they traded for Vatrano's services from the Panthers).

Well, we should see if there’s a good offer out there this summer, and go HARD after Nick Paul if he’s available.

I would also consider trading the VGK pick for Crouse is ARI was willing to do that, but I don’t think they will if they can sign him to a long term extension.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Three at $3.45M AAV, mirroring Andreas Johnsson's deal in Jersey?

I would bridge the gap and maybe go 4x4 for $16M close to what Iafallo got in LA?
Post automatically merged:

Well, we should see if there’s a good offer out there this summer, and go HARD after Nick Paul if he’s available.

I would also consider trading the VGK pick for Crouse is ARI was willing to do that, but I don’t think they will if they can sign him to a long term extension.

Nick Paul has had half of a good season. I would not overpay him.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
For a mid-first? No way for Crouse. He's an RFA - you could offer sheet more than triple his salary and only owe a 2nd round pick to ARI. He's a good role-player but that would be terrible asset management.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
For a mid-first? No way for Crouse. He's an RFA - you could offer sheet more than triple his salary and only owe a 2nd round pick to ARI. He's a good role-player but that would be terrible asset management.

I think you’re way underrating Crouse. We would be lucky as hell to get a player with his overall impact with a mid first in this draft (considering it’s viewed as a relatively weak draft). Aside from bringing 20-25 goals — and maybe his ceiling is higher than that — he brings all the assets and intangibles this team could use: very physical, good defensively, good PKer and PP guy as well, and huge leadership & character qualities.

Offer sheeting is not an option because ARI would be just as willing to pay him whatever other teams would offer. He’ll get somewhere between $4-5M on a long term deal.

The assumption in my offer, of course, is that a team would trade for him unles they could talk contract extension first. But that assumes ARI is willing to trade him and I don’t think they will unless he specifically asks to be traded.

Reactions: DJN21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad