Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) - Part II (Heading to UFA, Playing at the WCs)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If I can get that number with Arvidsson's term (6-7 years), I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Even if he gets displaced in the lineup by someone else, a moderate cost goal scorer with term is a very valuable asset.

I'd love it if it were a bit less (like say $4.25M AAV with say 3 years of term) because it solidifies his value both on the roster and in trade.

Reactions: Jacob582

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think you’re way underrating Crouse. We would be lucky as hell to get a player with his overall impact with a mid first in this draft (considering it’s viewed as a relatively weak draft). Aside from bringing 20-25 goals — and maybe his ceiling is higher than that — he brings all the assets and intangibles this team could use: very physical, good defensively, good PKer and PP guy as well, and huge leadership & character qualities.

Offer sheeting is not an option because ARI would be just as willing to pay him whatever other teams would offer. He’ll get somewhere between $4-5M on a long term deal.

The assumption in my offer, of course, is that a team would trade for him unles they could talk contract extension first. But that assumes ARI is willing to trade him and I don’t think they will unless he specifically asks to be traded.

I'd meet somewhere inbetween your guys opinions. I'd trade the Florida pick and some other plus's where needed for Crouse. I agree with the poster above he's not worth the Vegas pick given his age and money due coming up. But I agree with you he's exactly what we need and he's one of my most wanted players around the league that is reasonably possible.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Arvidsson's current deal at 4.25 or his extension?

Arvidsson's current deal that bought some UFA years was 5.67% of the cap at the time it was signed. If next year's cap is $82.5M, then the deal would be $4.67M. Arvidsson would be the highest end comparable I would be willing to use for Olofsson, since he is a 30-goal scorer and does a lot of work off-puck, so I would think they sign him for less than that based on other comps, Vic's own body of work, etc...

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'd meet somewhere inbetween your guys opinions. I'd trade the Florida pick and some other plus's where needed for Crouse. I agree with the poster above he's not worth the Vegas pick given his age and money due coming up. But I agree with you he's exactly what we need and he's one of my most wanted players around the league that is reasonably possible.

It depends on the draft year. This year is particularly good on defense, but it's not considered a great draft in general. Not all mid-first round picks are equal. So given the value and quality of this year's draft, Crouse is absolutely worth the 16th overall. But as I said, I don't think ARI would even do that deal, so there's certainly no chance they would do it for FLA's pick. They have more than enough picks already, and a pick that late is far too low for a legit 20-25+ goal scorer who's just now breaking through into the beginning of his prime.

He also absolutely not only fits what the Sabres need, but also fits their age window perfectly. He's a year younger than Alex Tuch and would bring a lot of those same elements, except may even have a higher ceiling and is quite a bit more physical. He's exactly the kind of playoff type player you need to win, and also the kind of character player every team wants.

I really hope the Sabres can lock him up for like a 3-4 year deal. I feel like he is just hitting his prime, and he's a damn good goal scorer. Don't let guys like this just slip away...

It's not about letting VO slip away for nothing. It's about capitalizing on his value when it's possibly at its highest and getting some quality assets back in return for him, rather than possibly letting him slip away as a UFA if they don't agree on a long term extension and Olofsson goes to arbitration. I really like what VO has brought the last few years, but I just see him being redundant with Quinn and Peterka coming in next year, and others beyond that. I just don't see where he fits 2/3/4 years from now.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Kinda what others have said above:

I think his sweet spot is 3-5 years at a AAV of between $4-4.5 mil. Regardless of what else happens, he'll always have value as a PP sniper.

Yes, he'll always have value as a PP sniper in general (aka around the league for some other teams), but will he have that much value to this team WHEN (not if) he is supplanted by Quinn as the top PP sniper on THIS team?

Does he bring enough all around play 5 on 5 (since he doesn't PK) to warrant taking both the salary and the roster spot away from guys like Quinn, Peterka, Krebs and maybe others?

I also expect all those guys and others to emerge as PP players, and while I know some may play difference positions or shoot right handed instead of left, you can only have so many players on the ice at a time.

Again, I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here and I don't mean to hate on the player. It's not an indictment of VO as much as it is a statement of this team's overall depth and the fact you have young players (Krebs, Cozens, Mittelstadt) who are ready to take on bigger roles & minutes, and prospects who are ready to make the jump as soon as next season (Quin, Peterka), that I can absolutely see why Olofsson's name was out there at the deadline, and I think there's real merit in trading him, especially if we can use those assets to either move up in the draft, or to trade for a veteran RHD.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Trade at the draft. Either for picks (to use or trade), or as part of a package with VGK pick or FLA pick to move up in the draft.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
For whom? Makes no sense to trade up unless there is a specific player you have targeted and they are available at that spot.
Using VO to trade up at the draft is both highly unlikely and not the best use of VO as a trade asset IF Adams were to view him as such.

But, I am expecting VO back next season unless something crazy happens with the contract talks.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Using VO to trade up at the draft is both highly unlikely and not the best use of VO as a trade asset IF Adams were to view him as such.

But, I am expecting VO back next season unless something crazy happens with the contract talks.
Rhino + #14 he wanted to trade for #7.

I think Olofsson certainly wants to stay and it would be wise for Adams to re-sign him, but he is RFA and we don't know yet what his contract will be. So I don't rule anything out.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
It depends on the draft year. This year is particularly good on defense, but it's not considered a great draft in general. Not all mid-first round picks are equal. So given the value and quality of this year's draft, Crouse is absolutely worth the 16th overall. But as I said, I don't think ARI would even do that deal, so there's certainly no chance they would do it for FLA's pick. They have more than enough picks already, and a pick that late is far too low for a legit 20-25+ goal scorer who's just now breaking through into the beginning of his prime.

He also absolutely not only fits what the Sabres need, but also fits their age window perfectly. He's a year younger than Alex Tuch and would bring a lot of those same elements, except may even have a higher ceiling and is quite a bit more physical. He's exactly the kind of playoff type player you need to win, and also the kind of character player every team wants.

It's not about letting VO slip away for nothing. It's about capitalizing on his value when it's possibly at its highest and getting some quality assets back in return for him, rather than possibly letting him slip away as a UFA if they don't agree on a long term extension and Olofsson goes to arbitration. I really like what VO has brought the last few years, but I just see him being redundant with Quinn and Peterka coming in next year, and others beyond that. I just don't see where he fits 2/3/4 years from now.
I completely disagree with you. You've developed him for this long and he's a legit goal scorer in this league. Show the rest of the team that this organization rewards home grown guys and get him a new contract. This constant revolving door of showing these guys out of the organization has to stop. We have plenty of cap space, and I'm guessing he wants to be here. So what exactly does trading him for quality assets do? Especially if those assets are prospects or picks?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
As good as VO has been, he's likely not top 6 on the team next year.

Instead of playing him out of position in the bottom 6, why not trade him for a decent goalie, which we need?

Reactions: jmelm

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
As good as VO has been, he's likely not top 6 on the team next year.

Instead of playing him out of position in the bottom 6, why not trade him for a decent goalie, which we need?
1. I don't know why it isn't likely he's in the top 6 next year
2. Why is it "out of position"? There's only one line this team will construct where his fit is questionable, which is whoever winds up with Girgensons-Okoposo. What's the difference between the other lines?
3. What likelihood is it there is a decent goalie on the trade market and the team wants Olofsson in return?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad