Confirmed Signing with Link: Vesey signs with the New York Rangers Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I disagree. If they get Shattenkirk in a year, Lundqvist will be one year older, probably worse. Shattenkirk isn't as good as Yandle, who they didn't replace. They do have very good depth at forward, however. I just don't see the Rangers improving on their possession game, which is weak.

Yes, once again, he was a free good prospect. Whatever team he chose was getting a good player. He, Hall, Cammalleri or Boucher would've had to move to their off wing, which who knows how well that would've worked. It still would've been a good gamble

Forcing your team to reshuffle all those wingers might have ruined your team. Good thing you didn't get him.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
You should probably consult a dictionary and make sure your understanding of the terms "most" and "least" is up to the North American English standard.

Look back at a history of 4th year Hobey Baker winners. It's Chris Drury, Brendan Morrison, Brian Holzinger, Scott Pellerin, Kip Miller and a bunch of guys you've never heard of. When Scott Pellerin and Kip Miller are your success stories, "very likely to be at least a solid middle six player" sounds like a hell of a stretch. I give Vesey about a 25% chance to play 200 NHL games, and less than that of being a real impact player in the NHL. That this thread has more than 1,000 posts is amazing ...

Come on, Matt Gilroy won a Hobey Baker and played more than 200 NHL games and he really wasn't that good. I think Vesey is pretty talented and a lot of teams were in on him for that reason. You don't think Drury had a successful career?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I disagree. If they get Shattenkirk in a year, Lundqvist will be one year older, probably worse. Shattenkirk isn't as good as Yandle, who they didn't replace. They do have very good depth at forward, however. I just don't see the Rangers improving on their possession game, which is weak.

Yes, once again, he was a free good prospect. Whatever team he chose was getting a good player. He, Hall, Cammalleri or Boucher would've had to move to their off wing, which who knows how well that would've worked. It still would've been a good gamble

Didn't you guys have a goalie who played until he was about 140?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

This upcoming year? No. But that can change in future. The defense should be improved by next year, maybe sooner, just by full time additions of Skjei and McIlrath. Hank I'm just flat out not concerned with; Brodeur was what, 39-40 in his final SCF? They're still way closer to contenders than most teams. I'm not expecting them to be anything next year other than a fun team to watch that maybe wins a playoff round, but the year after is when things could get interesting. I swear people were saying similar things about the Sharks last summer.

Again, I'm really skeptical that players evaluate teams the way fans do, e.g. choosing the Sabres over the Rangers for a better chance to win.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
NJ
This upcoming year? No. But that can change in future. The defense should be improved by next year, maybe sooner, just by full time additions of Skjei and McIlrath. Hank I'm just flat out not concerned with; Brodeur was what, 39-40 in his final SCF? They're still way closer to contenders than most teams. I'm not expecting them to be anything next year other than a fun team to watch that maybe wins a playoff round, but the year after is when things will get interesting. I swear people were saying similar things about the Sharks last summer.

Again, I'm really skeptical that players evaluate teams the way fans do.

I dont know if Brodeur is a good comparison for Lundqvist. Brodeur was a hybrid goalie who made a lot of saves standing up, so he didn't go up and down as much. Less wear and tear on his knees and hips as someone who is a more traditional butterfly goalie. Brodeur's last good season was 2010...when he was 38. Again, I'm skeptical Lundqvist's body will age as well as Marty's, but who knows?

I like Skjei a lot and I'm not high on McIlrath, but I fail to see how their defense will be improved without getting rid of Girardi. Even then, they don't have any puck movers. Losing Yandle might be crippling.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This upcoming year? No. But that can change in future. The defense should be improved by next year, maybe sooner, just by full time additions of Skjei and McIlrath. Hank I'm just flat out not concerned with; Brodeur was what, 39-40 in his final SCF? They're still way closer to contenders than most teams. I'm not expecting them to be anything next year other than a fun team to watch that maybe wins a playoff round, but the year after is when things will get interesting. I swear people were saying similar things about the Sharks last summer.

Again, I'm really skeptical that players evaluate teams the way fans do, e.g. choosing the Sabres over the Rangers for a better chance to win.

Rangers could jump back to being contenders with one trade that gets them a good right handed D...Lundqvist has at least a few more elite years left IMO and while they won't be as good when he declines, we've also had to listen for years to people tell us "don't spend money on goalies you can get cheap ones that produce nearly as well!" so apparently it shouldn't be hard to replace him!

And yeah I'm not expecting much out of next season except to see some of the new faces and development of players, and just to see how things shake out.

I don't think anyone thought the Rangers were contenders before they went to the finals in 2014 so saying they're bad and not contenders now isn't really something I'm concerned about. I dont' think they're currently contenders but I think with a few more smart moves they could be right up there again.

That all said, Vesey potentially gives them more depth and they will likely need more forwards with Nash aging and potentially a trade chip this year. It's a good move by both Vesey and the Rangers IMO, hopefully it will work out.

And yeah while people on hfboards and such like to say "wow look at this team with all these amazing prospects they're going to be powerhouses soon!" real life often doesn't quite work that way...Toronto and Buffalo could certainly be good soon but it's not a given and it's not a given that their talented young players will develop into stars or anything more than decent middle roster players.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Sick and tired of LA and NY market teams that always have things just fall on their lap.

The Rangers should of payed for emptying out their prospect pool just like any other team would have.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I dont know if Brodeur is a good comparison for Lundqvist. Brodeur was a hybrid goalie who made a lot of saves standing up, so he didn't go up and down as much. Less wear and tear on his knees and hips as someone who is a more traditional butterfly goalie. Brodeur's last good season was 2010...when he was 38. Again, I'm skeptical Lundqvist's body will age as well as Marty's, but who knows?

I like Skjei a lot and I'm not high on McIlrath, but I fail to see how their defense will be improved without getting rid of Girardi. Even then, they don't have any puck movers. Losing Yandle might be crippling.

McDonagh and Skjei are puck movers (well, when McDonagh isn't hauling around the boat anchor of Girardi) and McIlrath at least plays a more puck possession game in that he doesn't just rim the puck around the boards like Girardi, he tries to make passes in the defensive zone to start a breakout instead of just getting rid of the puck.

That said, yes they do need more puck movers and should really be looking to get some cheap young guys who are looked at as not "complete enough" or something, like they did with signing Clendenning. Maybe he doesn't work out at all but take those shots at guys who have the ability and maybe some of them stick. It's what they did with Stralman.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Sick and tired of LA and NY market teams that always have things just fall on their lap.

The Rangers should of payed for emptying out their prospect pool just like any other team would have.

They did pay!

About $925k per year for 2 years with bonuses

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
You fail to recognize that without Eichel's miraculous freshmen season, Vesey would have very easily won back to back Hobeys

You fail to recognise that it was a joke that Vesey won it this year. He didn't even deserve 2nd.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013

Agree, but it just makes it that much funnier when they win one cup in 75 years :)

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
You fail to recognise that it was a joke that Vesey won it this year. He didn't even deserve 2nd.

Compare who Connor was playing with on a line, plus the fact that the Big 10 is an absolute run and gun league to who Vesey was playing with in an older and more defensive ECAC. Put Vesey with Compher and Motte and he shatters records

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
The Rangers are good enough with or without Vesey to make the playoff. I don't think they have a good enough chance to win the Cup.

Boston has missed the playoff two years in a row where they fail to get points in must win games during the end of the season. I'll bet next season, the Rangers will make the playoff. Boston will be out by a point or two. I'm not impress with Boston roster going into the season, I have a more positive out look for their future.

rvdnsx

Jun 30, 2003

They did pay, they don't have those prospects anymore! (Saarela, Duclair, quite a few 1st rounders for guys like Yandle, Eric Staal, Marty St. Louis)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Rangers are good enough with or without Vesey to make the playoff. I don't think they have a good enough chance to win the Cup.

Boston has missed the playoff two years in a row where they fail to get points in must win games during the end of the season. I'll bet next season, the Rangers will make the playoff. Boston will be out by a point or two. I'm not impress with Boston roster going into the season, I have a more positive out look for their future.

Yeah again, without a defensive overhaul and some luck I don't think the Rangers are contenders this year. I look at Lundqvist like Luongo in terms of how his game will age...Loungo is a couple of years older and has still been very good. Lundqvist is one of the hardest working players around according to his teammates so I think he has a good chance at being a very good goalie through is mid 30's. I think at this point you want to be able to give him some more rest and not be like "OK play 70 games" but you can certainly still win with him. Having a successor in place is good at that point and the Rangers have some talented goaltending prospects working their way through development, but who knows if they'll be good enough to take over in 4 years or so.

That all said, if you can get a move for a good RHD and development out of some prospects, it wouldn't be hard to end up with a pretty decent D led by a very good player, a top 10 offense and a still excellent goalie, and with that combo you have a chance at the cup.

Vesey helps keep the forward depth good and opens up more trade possibilities if necessary. Hopefully he can have a first season like Kevin Hayes

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Just a few days ago you said how it'd be a heist if the Devils got him as he'd be a top 9 (maybe top 6) forward.

Funny how quickly things change for some, isn't it? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ironically, my opinion has remained consistent throughout all of this. He's a very solid prospect but I doubt he becomes a "special" player. Should be a nice top 6 guy if he pans out, in my view. I like getting free prospects, but don't consider this some coup or game changer. It offsets our team's trading of top picks a bit, though. Which is helpful.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
That didn't work out so well for Justin Schultz.

I think it worked out great for Schultz. 10+ millions in NHL-contracts and an Stanley Cup in his first four years. That he didn´t become the player some hoped is another thing completley. If he would have become an greater player somewhere else is also not guaranteed.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I think it worked out great for Schultz. 10+ millions in NHL-contracts and an Stanley Cup in his first four years. That he didn´t become the player some hoped is another thing completley. If he would have become an greater player somewhere else is also not guaranteed.
Well that's the part I was talking about.

Go check how old matthews is LOL
You're just proving his point that it's a silly way to judge a player.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Compare who Connor was playing with on a line, plus the fact that the Big 10 is an absolute run and gun league to who Vesey was playing with in an older and more defensive ECAC. Put Vesey with Compher and Motte and he shatters records

Compher and Motte? The two players that had never sniffed a PPG until Connor was put on their line? Yeah no, I don't think they were the difference makers.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

[mod]

Like Pittsburgh paid for having a crap team and then drafting Crosby one year and Malkin the next?

Or like the Oilers paid for having a crap team and getting all those first overall picks?

Or how Buffalo paid for having a crap team and then drafting Eichel?

Or how the Leafs paid this year for having a crap team and then drafting Matthews?

Even the Blackhawks with Kane and Toews?

The Bruins with Seguin?

Because we all know having a deep prospect pool is more important that having a good team for your fans to watch.

I don't know if there's a team in the league since the NHL expanded from 6 to 12 teams in 1968 that have had fewer top 5 draft picks than the Rangers. Even teams that haven't been around very long have had more top 5 draft picks than the Rangers. The Rangers since 1968 have never had a first overall or even a second overall draft pick. Tell me what other team? Like them or not one thing about the Rangers year in and year out whether they make the playoffs or not never try to dog it.

Since 1968 the Rangers have had one top 5 pick in 48 years and they ****ed it up. That was 1999 No. 4 Pavel Brendl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad