Confirmed Signing with Link: Vesey signs with the New York Rangers Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I don't know if there's a team in the league since the NHL expanded from 6 to 12 teams in 1968 that have had fewer top 5 draft picks than the Rangers. Even teams that haven't been around very long have had more top 5 draft picks than the Rangers. The Rangers since 1968 have never had a first overall or even a second overall draft pick. Tell me what other team? Like them or not one thing about the Rangers year in and year out whether they make the playoffs or not never try to dog it.

Since 1968 the Rangers have had one top 5 pick in 48 years and they ****ed it up. That was 1999 No. 4 Pavel Brendl.

And they traded up to get that pick. Since the 68 expansion, the Rangers have never finished bottom 5 in the league.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
[mod]

Like Pittsburgh paid for having a crap team and then drafting Crosby one year and Malkin the next?

Or like the Oilers paid for having a crap team and getting all those first overall picks?

Or how Buffalo paid for having a crap team and then drafting Eichel?

Or how the Leafs paid this year for having a crap team and then drafting Matthews?

Even the Blackhawks with Kane and Toews?

The Bruins with Seguin?

Because we all know having a deep prospect pool is more important that having a good team for your fans to watch.

I don't know if there's a team in the league since the NHL expanded from 6 to 12 teams in 1968 that have had fewer top 5 draft picks than the Rangers. Even teams that haven't been around very long have had more top 5 draft picks than the Rangers. The Rangers since 1968 have never had a first overall or even a second overall draft pick. Tell me what other team? Like them or not one thing about the Rangers year in and year out whether they make the playoffs or not never try to dog it.

Since 1968 the Rangers have had one top 5 pick in 48 years and they ****ed it up. That was 1999 No. 4 Pavel Brendl.

You listed a bunch of teams that were bottom feeders for basically a whole decade before they got good again.

There's no cycle for the Rangers if they get to lose their 1st picks because they're in win now mode but sign 1st round talent 6 month later.

My comment was for all major sports btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
[mod]

You listed a bunch of teams that were bottom feeders for basically a whole decade before they got good again.

There's no cycle for the Rangers if they get to lose their 1st picks because they're in win now mode but sign 1st round talent 6 month later.

My comment was for all major sports btw.

At the same time you might look at the history of your own storied team. It's not that big a secret that most of Montreal's championships were the result of manipulated outcomes. Pre-expansion having exclusive rights to players within a 50 mile radius of Montreal for one thing. That 50 mile radius thing didn't work out so well for US based teams though. Then negotiating with the league for the first pick of the best French Canadian players for several years starting with the '68 draft. Then Sam Pollock pretty much finding ways to screw expansion teams out of their high picks trading them has beens. Hey it worked so it must have been okay? Right?

So the Rangers sign Vesey here--within the rules. Those who don't like it---too ****ing bad.
[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Possible Rangers line up with Vesey and Buchnevich on the roster

LW Kreider C Stepan RW Nash
LW Vesey C Zibanejad RW Zuccarello
LW Miller C Hayes RW Buchnevich
LW Fast C Lindberg RW Grabner

LD McDonagh RD Girardi
LD Staal RD Klein
LD Holden RD McIlrath

#1 G Lundqvist
#2 G Raanta

Scratched List
C Jooris
LW Glass
LD Clendening

To Hartford AHL
LD Skjei < No need to rush, going into only 2nd full pro season, could recall towards end of season.
LW-RW Gerbe < No room on roster, place on waivers for the purpose of sending to Hartford AHL.

If a long term injury to one of the Rangers goal tenders should occur, the goalie recalled should be G Hellberg, but if a short term injury occurs through out the season the recalled goalie should be G Halverson.

Hellberg would have to pass through waivers if he were to be recalled and then sent down.
Halverson can be sent directly to Hartford AHL if he is recalled and then sent back down.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
NYC is the greatest city in the world, and I can only imagine how phenomenal it must be to be a professional athlete living in New York. I would have preferred he signed with the Blackhawks, but I don't begrudge him or the Rangers one bit. There's a certain reality that young millionaires don't want to live near you hillbillies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
We should be adding so much youth to the team. Buch, Skjei, Vesey in one offseason to the NHL team. There might not be an NHL team adding more young NHL ready talent than us, maybe the Leafs, but they are an all-prospect team at this point. Of contenders, we've added the most, in terms of prospects. We also made really smart signings like Grabner, Gerbe, Jooris that give us some really good depth.

We have a top 5 forward group.
Last season we were 7th in GPG, and the previous season we were 3rd in GPG. Adding Buch and Vesey to that group, swapping Ziba for Brass is about lateral for next season. I think there are few arguments against that forward group. You could say there's no star, but the depth is probably the best of any forward group in the NHL.

We also have a top 5 goalie. The defense was worse last season than previous seasons, but it still wasn't as bad as everyone says. If the Rangers defense is so bad, can someone tell me why we were 3rd in the NHL in goals allowed per game two seasons ago with a very similar defense?

Damn. I go away for the weekend, and suddenly the Rangers are A) contenders and B) have a top 5 forward group.

If NYR is adding as much young NHL talent as you're saying they are, then that only means that they're not nearly as deep as you've suggested they are. I think you're wrong about Brassard/Zib (at least when it comes to the next season or two), but that's more opinion then anything. Time will tell how that plays out - the good news for NYR is time is to their benefit there.

Is Lundqvist still a top 5? Because looking at the stats, he's becoming more and more average - and he's not getting any younger. And yes your D was that bad - your teams GAA was tied with Buffalo's - who was one of the worst teams in the league.

This is where he's ranked over the last 5 years with goalies who've played 40+ games (12/13, I changed that to 30+).
SV%: 13th, 9th, 10th, 4th, 4th,
GAA: 20th, 7th, 8th, 4th, 5th[/quote]

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
Damn. I go away for the weekend, and suddenly the Rangers are A) contenders and B) have a top 5 forward group.

If NYR is adding as much young NHL talent as you're saying they are, then that only means that they're not nearly as deep as you've suggested they are. I think you're wrong about Brassard/Zib (at least when it comes to the next season or two), but that's more opinion then anything. Time will tell how that plays out - the good news for NYR is time is to their benefit there.

Is Lundqvist still a top 5? Because looking at the stats, he's becoming more and more average - and he's not getting any younger. And yes your D was that bad - your teams GAA was tied with Buffalo's - who was one of the worst teams in the league.

This is where he's ranked over the last 5 years with goalies who've played 40+ games (12/13, I changed that to 30+).
GAA: 20th, 7th, 8th, 4th, 5th
[/QUOTE]

I don't know how to quote the original quote that you did but I really don't see the Rangers adding the most young talent to their roster this year. He must have forgot about the coyotes who will probably take that title for the second straight year. He did mention the Leafs but left out the Jets who all will have NYR beat pretty easily.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I don't know how to quote the original quote that you did
but I really don't see the Rangers adding the most young talent to their roster this year. He must have forgot about the coyotes who will probably take that title for the second straight year. He did mention the Leafs but left out the Jets who all will have NYR beat pretty easily.

You have to do it manually. Copy in the OPs name then the forum post number (which you can find in the hyper link if you hover over the post number in this thread.

For example for yours:
[qoute=Palmer2Fitz;121554463]text that I'm quoting[/quote]

It's a pain in the butt, but it's your only option after a thread has been locked.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
You fail to recognise that it was a joke that Vesey won it this year. He didn't even deserve 2nd.

I looked up out of curiosity for comparable who the number two and number three guy were in the same division as harvard for points behind Vesey. One has never been drafted and has no pro hockey affiliation, the other just signed a two way deal with the wild at age 22 or 23...

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
At the same time you might look at the history of your own storied team. It's not that big a secret that most of Montreal's championships were the result of manipulated outcomes. Pre-expansion having exclusive rights to players within a 50 mile radius of Montreal for one thing. That 50 mile radius thing didn't work out so well for US based teams though. Then negotiating with the league for the first pick of the best French Canadian players for several years starting with the '68 draft. Then Sam Pollock pretty much finding ways to screw expansion teams out of their high picks trading them has beens. Hey it worked so it must have been okay? Right?

So the Rangers sign Vesey here--within the rules. Those who don't like it---too ****ing bad.
[mod]

Love this post.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

[mod]

So wait, you're mad because Sam Pollock traded vets for picks/prospects?

Isn't this exactly why the rangers prospect pool is depleted?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Rangers were 7th in goals scored last year and had the 2nd highest shooting percentage. Where is this top5 offense talk coming from? They lost Brass and Yandle while getting Zib and Vesey.

If anything, the offense will take a step back between loss of talent and sky high shooting %

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

GAA: 20th, 7th, 8th, 4th, 5th

Take a look at the Rangers 5 on 5. They were tied for the 6th best GAA at even strength. Look at Lundqvist's numbers 5 on 5 and in dangerous situations. He's still easily a top 5 goalie. The problems last year were on the penalty kill. They were tied for 6th worst in the league. The Rangers added players who should improve the PK.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rangers were 7th in goals scored last year and had the 2nd highest shooting percentage. Where is this top5 offense talk coming from? They lost Brass and Yandle while getting Zib and Vesey.

If anything, the offense will take a step back between loss of talent and sky high shooting %

We are also adding Buchnevich, who has put up good numbers in the KHL. Beyond that, we expect better numbers from Nash and Hayes, and we are hoping other players take the next step, like Miller, Kreider and Zibanejad, or that Stepan can be healthy all year and finally break 60 points.

If you compare this year's forward group to last year's, the team is definitely deeper. It remains to be seen if that results in more goals.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Well that's the part I was talking about.

I´m one of those who think he roughly reached his potential, as it was overblown from the start. I of course think he would be an greater defender if he had signed with say an great d-developer like Nashville. But he would also probably be, at least at the moment, an much poorer person. I think he maximised his situation. But I see your point of view as well :)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Possible Rangers line up with Vesey and Buchnevich on the roster

LW Kreider C Stepan RW Nash
LW Vesey C Zibanejad RW Zuccarello
LW Miller C Hayes RW Buchnevich
LW Fast C Lindberg RW Grabner

LD McDonagh RD Girardi
LD Staal RD Klein
LD Holden RD McIlrath

#1 G Lundqvist
#2 G Raanta

Scratched List
C Jooris
LW Glass
LD Clendening

To Hartford AHL
LD Skjei < No need to rush, going into only 2nd full pro season, could recall towards end of season.
LW-RW Gerbe < No room on roster, place on waivers for the purpose of sending to Hartford AHL.

If a long term injury to one of the Rangers goal tenders should occur, the goalie recalled should be G Hellberg, but if a short term injury occurs through out the season the recalled goalie should be G Halverson.

Hellberg would have to pass through waivers if he were to be recalled and then sent down.
Halverson can be sent directly to Hartford AHL if he is recalled and then sent back down.

Skjei is in for sure . Girardi needs less ice time

This F and G group should be goiod. D is overpaid but they are stuck w staal , girardi for now

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Skjei is in for sure . Girardi needs less ice time

This F and G group should be goiod. D is overpaid but they are stuck w staal , girardi for now

I think Staal can still play. I'd prefer to put Mcilrath on McD's right side over G at this point. Klein would make more sense. G on the third pair.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So wait, you're mad because Sam Pollock traded vets for picks/prospects?

Isn't this exactly why the rangers prospect pool is depleted?

Don't be so lazy--go back and look at how the conversation between me and this guy started. What I got from him is the Rangers did something somehow underhanded when they signed Vesey and they should be made to pay for it.

So I was simply pointing out to him that his team the Montreal Canadiens have a history too--a very glorious one for sure but there are some dark corners of said history that don't get talked about very often.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That's the trickier thing to do.

Eh...yes but it's really more that they need 1 pretty good puck moving defenseman for the right side, and to ditch Dan Girardi somehow. Kevin Klein is actually pretty good even if he doesn't fall into the puck moving category, and I think McIlrath could develop fine on the 3rd pairing this year...he moves the puck better than Girardi does. But get that middle pairing guy who moves the puck real well and pair him with Staal and you hopefully at least have some decent pairings, even if they're not great pairings.

Klein isn't the best top pairing option in the world for McDonagh but he's the best they have at the moment (though probably should be traded out to someone in the next season), Staal paired with a good puck mover (not necessarily a point producer) should actually be pretty good, and McIlrath and Skjei/Holden on the 3rd pairing is fine for now.

It'd be a blueline in a transitional phase but it'd probably be good enough to help them make some noise.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Eh...yes but it's really more that they need 1 pretty good puck moving defenseman for the right side, and to ditch Dan Girardi somehow. Kevin Klein is actually pretty good even if he doesn't fall into the puck moving category, and I think McIlrath could develop fine on the 3rd pairing this year...he moves the puck better than Girardi does. But get that middle pairing guy who moves the puck real well and pair him with Staal and you hopefully at least have some decent pairings, even if they're not great pairings.

Klein isn't the best top pairing option in the world for McDonagh but he's the best they have at the moment (though probably should be traded out to someone in the next season), Staal paired with a good puck mover (not necessarily a point producer) should actually be pretty good, and McIlrath and Skjei/Holden on the 3rd pairing is fine for now.

It'd be a blueline in a transitional phase but it'd probably be good enough to help them make some noise.

This team has been looking for a PMD ever since Leetch left.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This team has been looking for a PMD ever since Leetch left.

Well, yes, and then they let Yandle walk...

Leetch was more of a "score a bunch of points" puck moving guy though, I'm talking someone who can make good outlet passes or skate the puck out on a regular basis. Some of those guys are out there who aren't putting up points doing that and are undervalued because of it. Someone like an unknown version of McDonagh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad