Seravalli: Vegas and Buffalo working on framework of Eichel trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
People will be surprised at the lack of return Buffalo gets. Think of the Erik Karlson trade. Now that turned out pretty good for Ottawa in hindsight but at the time it looked like an absolute robbery.

Given the back issues, this trade could be just like Karlsson where Buffalo will win it long term

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
1. Those rumours were baseless and only got started because some people in a St. Louis podcast talked about how cool it would be if Tarasenko was traded for him
2. There is zero chance Tkachuk is in any conversation for Eichel at this point. The cap going the other way is Monahan or Calgary would have dropped out of the race a while ago, especially with the Flames hot start to the season

There is zero chance Monahan is going to be the center piece. While he has value, his addition would be as a secondary piece and to even cap out.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
I mean if Karlsson is the blueprint, is Monahan, Dube, Pelletier, B/C prospect , 1st and 2nd work? Monahan has to go the other way for dollars

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
That's a good pressure point. Imo right now is a good point too. He can get the surgery now, stay on IR all season, and perhaps play in the playoffs

Also it's just humanitarian at this point. These are people dealing with people. I dont think the people running the Sabres are happy to let Eichel languish like this, as much as some fans think he should
If he's going to be on LTIR the rest of the season then why is Vegas in the mix if they're a win-now team? Why would they trade players, prospects and picks if they have to wait until their season could be all over?

Ledge And Dairy

There is zero chance Monahan is going to be the center piece. While he has value, his addition would be as a secondary piece and to even cap out.
Man, I dont know how many times I have to repeat this...

NOBODY IS CALLING MONAHAN THE CENTER PIECE!

The cap exists for both team, Calgary/Vegas have to stay under the ceiling, and Buffalo has to stay above the floor. Some sort of cap hit HAS to go the other way and unless Buffalo wants Lucic (highly doubt it) then Monahan is the main cap hit going out of Calgary.

Ledge And Dairy

And how is Calgary gonna fit him under the cap?

if the Sabres wanted someone like Monahan, this deal would've been done weeks ago
Simple, Monahan + futures. Every passing day Eichel's remaining owed salary and cap hit for the season goes down by 50k.

As for a deal getting done, Monahan's not going to waive to Buffalo so they would have to find a 3rd team which is not as easy. It was never about if Buffalo wanted Monahan or not, its about the cap existing and Calgary isnt going to include any of their other core players making 5M+ (unless you want Lucic)

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Simple, Monahan + futures. Every passing day Eichel's remaining owed salary and cap hit for the season goes down by 50k.

As for a deal getting done, Monahan's not going to waive to Buffalo so they would have to find a 3rd team which is not as easy. It was never about if Buffalo wanted Monahan or not, its about the cap existing and Calgary isnt going to include any of their other core players making 5M+ (unless you want Lucic)
That assumes the acquiring team isn't using LTIR which i know Vegas is with like 5 players on LTIR. Not sure about the Flames

Ledge And Dairy

That assumes the acquiring team isn't using LTIR which i know Vegas is with like 5 players on LTIR. Not sure about the Flames
Saying a team is using LTIR is all fine and dandy until you look at the return dates for them all being well before the regular season ends, assuming Eichel gets the surgery right after the trade he is included in that group

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Whoever trades for Eichel will either end up GM of the year or remembered as Chiarelli. There's no real in-betweens. I wouldn't trade for him and take that risk, if I was a GM personally. But there's a reason I'm not a GM. Likely Eichel will be fine and if he is, whoever trades for him will end up looking like evil genius bandits.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
That is a gamble no team should be taking right now - unless it's for something like 'future considerations' when Eichel can prove he can play.
Nonsense. It's exactly the type of risk the Flames have to be taking. Boggles the mind how many fans cling to the mediocrity the franchise has enwrapped itself in. Calgary's only chance at Eichel is because he's injured. If he was healthy, the price would be Lindholm++ which would make the whole thing pointless.

None of the speculated pieces the Flames would have to give up are crippling by any means. The 1st, Dube/Valimaki and one of Zary/Pelletier/Coronato is definitely a hefty package of futures but hardly that much more than what Treliving threw away to get Hamonic.

If Eichel returns to form, the Flames finally have a chance at becoming a legit contender. If he doesn't, they'll be forced to enter a rebuild and can recoup some assets by trading away Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and even Eichel.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Whoever trades for Eichel will either end up GM of the year or remembered as Chiarelli. There's no real in-betweens. I wouldn't trade for him and take that risk, if I was a GM personally. But there's a reason I'm not a GM. Likely Eichel will be fine and if he is, whoever trades for him will end up looking like evil genius bandits.
The real and only winner is going to be the GM of the third team who takes on some of the cap and gets a couple of 3rd round picks for doing so.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Nonsense. It's exactly the type of risk the Flames have to be taking. Boggles the mind how many fans cling to the mediocrity the franchise has enwrapped itself in. Calgary's only chance at Eichel is because he's injured. If he was healthy, the price would be Lindholm++ which would make the whole thing pointless.

None of the speculated pieces the Flames would have to give up are crippling by any means. The 1st, Dube/Valimaki and one of Zary/Pelletier/Coronato is definitely a hefty package of futures but hardly that much more than what Treliving threw away to get Hamonic.

If Eichel returns to form, the Flames finally have a chance at becoming a legit contender. If he doesn't, they'll be forced to enter a rebuild and can recoup some assets by trading away Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and even Eichel.
The franchise is indeed 'mediocre' (For many different reasons) but the problem isn't going to be solved with such a loopy, irrational gamble. For one thing, the franchise has to make a commitment to drafting and developing and gambling on Eichel is not going to come anywhere near accomplishing that. If anything, a trade like this is going to make the Flames an even less sustainable franchise then they already are.

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Man, I dont know how many times I have to repeat this...

NOBODY IS CALLING MONAHAN THE CENTER PIECE!

The cap exists for both team, Calgary/Vegas have to stay under the ceiling, and Buffalo has to stay above the floor. Some sort of cap hit HAS to go the other way and unless Buffalo wants Lucic (highly doubt it) then Monahan is the main cap hit going out of Calgary.

So what else is Calgary going to offer?

I think that is the point. If they won't give up Lindholm/Tkachuk type player then why would Buffalo do the deal?

Will be interesting to see what happens, because if I'm Calgary any do I weaken my team now to get a player in a several months.

Based on the players Calgary would likely be willing to give up, I doubt he gets traded there.

If I'm Calgary, I stay away. Injury issues, experimental surgery, questions about character, high acquisition cost, and a team that is performing well.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Is it too much to add whether you heard that rumour 1) from a voice in your head or 2) from someone you know that works in the media or NHL, or 3) something between

you also get bonus points for misspelling every Flames player or prospect you mentioned
Probably through the wires of a tinfoil hat.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
So what else is Calgary going to offer?

I think that is the point. If they won't give up Lindholm/Tkachuk type player then why would Buffalo do the deal?

Well be interesting to see what happens, because if I'm Calgary any do I weaken my team now to get a player in a several months.

Based on the players Calgary would likely be willing to give up, I doubt he gets traded there.
You're coming in so late in this months long topic and asking the wrong questions. The deal is futures and an NHL player. Not a core player.
I'm not saying I think the Flames can get it done

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
You're coming in so late in this months long topic and asking the wrong questions. The deal is futures and an NHL player. Not a core player.

Calgary's best assets are their current players, which is their problem. While I'm no expert on Calgary prospect pool, it doesn't have a blue chip that wows you.

Vegas sucking might be to their benefit this year, because they can trade a valuable roster player and look to next year.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Calgary's best assets are their current players, which is their problem. While I'm no expert on Calgary prospect pool, it doesn't have a blue chip that wows you.

Vegas sucking might be to their benefit this year, because they can trade a valuable roster player and look to next year.
But they shouldn't trade the 2022 1st because it could be a lottery pick and one they can use on another great prospect.

Reactions: Pucklington

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Vegas shouldn't be in the picture either. Not if they want to win this year (still possible) or protect a potential lottery pick (Also still possible).

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
No team is gutting their roster to make this deal
No team should be spending anything to make this deal - at least not right now.

Eichel and the Sabres and the union and the league have a lot of work to do before this guy should go anywhere.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
No team should be spending anything to make this deal - at least not right now.

Eichel and the Sabres and the union and the league have a lot of work to do before this guy should go anywhere.
If the receiving team lets him get the surgery and he can be back this season, why shouldn't they do the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad