Seravalli: Vegas and Buffalo working on framework of Eichel trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The only names that have come up from legit reporters in terms of what Buffalo are asking are Krebs, Elvenes and Theodore.

Everything else is just wild speculation IMO.

Edit: Smith & Hague were also rumored in the summer

But in most of those cases, even the reporters were speculating. I'm not sure we have any legit reports outside of that Krebs/Hague/Smith one, but even THAT report was a report that Vegas was turning it down.

I don't consider that Theodore twitter post by that reporter to mean he was saying Theodore was in the package. In fact, he purposely worded it to convey that he's just speculating based on their roster moves that day.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I can't believe Calgary is a contender in this situation. I don't think much of the organization but I don't think they're stupid or crazy or wanting to mess with the good thing they've got going on now. If I were the Flames I'd tell Buffalo to call when Eichel has proven he can come back and earn his $10 million per.
Dumb take based on 5 games. The team needs to move past this rut it's been in for 15 years.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Dumb take based on 5 games. The team needs to move past this rut it's been in for 15 years.
So tearing a roster and future and financial situation apart for one injured player isn't dumbo? Please.

They should just dance with the players they have, ride the wave and save their money and picks.

And Vegas should do the same thing. Things are rough but wrecking things over one player isn't the way out - especially when you're shooting for a lottery pick in the 22 draft.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
So tearing a roster and future and financial situation apart for one injured player isn't dumbo? Please.

They should just dance with the players they have, ride the wave and save their money and picks.

Let me guess, you were also against a trade for Thornton or Seguin?

They've danced with these players many times, the result is the same: Hot stretches and then dead cold when the going gets tough. We need an extra leg up, an elite talent at centre to thrust us through the door and to the Stanley Cup.

Risks are necessary to win. The risk here is actually less than is being portrayed. Eichel has access to the best medical care anywhere in the world with his money. He will heal.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Let me guess, you were also against a trade for Thornton or Seguin?

They've danced with these players many times, the result is the same: Hot stretches and then dead cold when the going gets tough. We need an extra leg up, an elite talent at centre to thrust us through the door and to the Stanley Cup.

Risks are necessary to win. The risk here is actually less than is being portrayed. Eichel has access to the best medical care anywhere in the world with his money. He will heal.

If you can substract mostly futures in an Eichel trade; and someone like Monahan... it isn't the end of the world for Calgary.

They've cushioned themselves nicely with this hot start. If we go on average of 96 points needed to get to the playoffs, they need 72 more points with the remaining 71 games. Essentially they could go .500 the rest of the way. Though, the way Sutter has them playing is going to be a hard matchup for most teams regardless.

I think of Eichel as a deadline add. Like. While most teams are going to pony up to get Phil Kessel on their roster for their cup run, Calgary will add a healthy Jack Eichel.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
We need an extra leg up, an elite talent at centre to thrust us through the door and to the Stanley Cup.

Drafting and developing gives a team a leg up and that is the one thing the Flames could do better and more of - if they were more protective of their picks. It's also cheaper than gambling on a $10miilion/year player who may or may not get back to their former self.

And risks are necessary to win but those risks have to be carefully calculated and this situation is a hail Mary nobody in their right mind should touch. Not until Eichel can prove he can still play that is.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I think of Eichel as a deadline add. Like. While most teams are going to pony up to get Phil Kessel on their roster for their cup run, Calgary will add a healthy Jack Eichel.
Not really - deadline deals tend to include players whose contracts are expiring and Eichel still has a lot of time and money owing after this one.

The best time to acquire Eichel will be next offseason (2022) - after he's proven he can play and earn his $10 million/season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilslick941611

YoungGuns

May 22, 2013
Calgary, AB
If you can substract mostly futures in an Eichel trade; and someone like Monahan... it isn't the end of the world for Calgary.

They've cushioned themselves nicely with this hot start. If we go on average of 96 points needed to get to the playoffs, they need 72 more points with the remaining 71 games. Essentially they could go .500 the rest of the way. Though, the way Sutter has them playing is going to be a hard matchup for most teams regardless.

Have you heard any other inside information? I believe you were the one mentioning some proposals the last couple days that came from a source?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
They've cushioned themselves nicely with this hot start. If we go on average of 96 points needed to get to the playoffs, they need 72 more points with the remaining 71 games. Essentially they could go .500 the rest of the way.

I think your calculator may be broken ;)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not really - deadline deals tend to include players whose contracts are expiring and Eichel still has a lot of time and money owing after this one.

The best time to acquire Eichel will be next offseason (2022) - after he's proven he can play and earn his $10 million/season.
I’d say that’s the best time for Buffalo to trade him. And that’s what I prescribed when this whole thing started, let Eichel get his surgery and force him to play his value up if he wants to get moved. All teams would need to see is if he’s healthy. And boom your trading an immensely more valuable asset. Think Buffalo screwed this up pretty royally since that ship has long sailed if the trade is at the 1 yard line.

Right now is the time to strike if you want a better deal on Eichel though, injury concerns and all (which are probably overblown)

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012

And by then this team doesnt have close to enough the asset to get someone like eichel

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
People will be surprised at the lack of return Buffalo gets. Think of the Erik Karlson trade. Now that turned out pretty good for Ottawa in hindsight but at the same it looked like an absolute robbery.

I think majority of us actually realize the return won't be that good... its more/less a few posters that are extremely delusional lol

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
That is a gamble no team should be taking right now - unless it's for something like 'future considerations' when Eichel can prove he can play.
Good job coming in and making this point on page 8000 of the topic where the idea that there will be conditional futures in the deal has been beaten to death

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

That's a good pressure point. Imo right now is a good point too. He can get the surgery now, stay on IR all season, and perhaps play in the playoffs

Also it's just humanitarian at this point. These are people dealing with people. I dont think the people running the Sabres are happy to let Eichel languish like this, as much as some fans think he should

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If he’s a cap throw in it makes sense. He’s not close to Zibenejad though. And yeh he kinda sucks, but maybe balls was a bit far.

If? At $6.375 M for two years, let me no who is trading much of anything for him based on his play last season and into this one? In the final year of deal, you eat half the cap and maybe flip him. I suppose you could do that now but the actual "value" of him in any deal, I can't see much of anything.

Reactions: TheNumber4

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
If? At $6.375 M for two years, let me no who is trading much of anything for him based on his play last season and into this one? In the final year of deal, you eat half the cap and maybe flip him. I suppose you could do that now but the actual "value" of him in any deal, I can't see much of anything.

In a league where Rasmus Ristolainen returned the 14th overall pick and a future second with only one year remaining at his full cap hit and had multiple teams interested at that price then Sean Monahan has value. He is a top six center that has had one poor season where it is now public knowledge that he played through a significant injury for 90% of the season. General Managers have a longer memory than HF posters.

Reactions: Traptor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad