Seravalli: Vegas and Buffalo working on framework of Eichel trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Monahan is cap dump, plain and simple. You could waive him and his $6.375 cap and no one take him. He is bad again and on a Calgary team playing well. It would cost a 1st or a 2nd a prospect to dump the salary.

You know you can just not comment on something you know nothing about instead of just spew bullshit that is completely wrong. Monahan has been decent to good all year.

Also he 100% would be picked up on waivers by a bad team who would flip him at the deadline.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So it seems cap issues seems to be the biggest problem and Arizona wasn't necessarily willing to retain. Would they be willing to retain if they dumped Schmaltz in the trade? Eichel and Schmaltz both have 5 years left, so instead carrying Schmaltz near 6M caphit you have Eichel at 2M. You also save over 20M in actual cash moving Schmaltz out and that includes the retention money on Eichel. It would take up all 3 of their retention spots so a bit harder to trade Stralman and Kessel at the deadline but one of them will be hard to trade regardless. I just think dumping Schmaltz would be good for them. As for Buffalo you don't retain on Eichel but take on a bad contract with decent money owed.

Reactions: thewookie1

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
So it seems cap issues seems to be the biggest problem and Arizona wasn't necessarily willing to retain. Would they be willing to retain if they dumped Schmaltz in the trade? Eichel and Schmaltz both have 5 years left, so instead carrying Schmaltz near 6M caphit you have Eichel at 2M. You also save over 20M in actual cash moving Schmaltz out and that includes the retention money on Eichel. It would take up all 3 of their retention spots so a bit harder to trade Stralman and Kessel at the deadline but one of them will be hard to trade regardless. I just think dumping Schmaltz would be good for them. As for Buffalo you don't retain on Eichel but take on a bad contract with decent money owed.

That's not exactly a terrible idea tbh

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I look at it this way:

If I’m Arizona I want two 1st round picks worth of value to retain $2m on Eichel for five years. Factoring the money and length of a retention slot being locked up.

If I’m Arizona I’m not paying two 1st round picks worth of value to get rid of Schmaltz.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Does the Buffalo news have insiders, or are they too busy covering local fires?

Buffalo News hasn't broken a Sabres story since Lafontaine firing and that was Bucky Gleason. Just a timid group there now. Plus, Mike Harrington is obnoxious enough he doesn't get fed much, obviously.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I look at it this way:

If I’m Arizona I want two 1st round picks worth of value to retain $2m on Eichel for five years. Factoring the money and length of a retention slot being locked up.

If I’m Arizona I’m not paying two 1st round picks worth of value to get rid of Schmaltz.

Arizona didn't get 1st round pick worth of value for retaining on OEL at 1M for 6 years. So why would they get that this time?

I wouldn't pay two 1sts of value to dump Schmaltz either but I think they need to move on from him and his contract isn't easy to move especially with him struggling. They'd have to take back bad cap to do so.

So not sure how removing Schmaltz and his bad contract and replacing it with an Eichel retention isn't a win? The only negative about the move is taking up a retention spot.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Arizona didn't get 1st round pick worth of value for retaining on OEL at 1M for 6 years. So why would they get that this time?

I wouldn't pay two 1sts of value to dump Schmaltz either but I think they need to move on from him and his contract isn't easy to move especially with him struggling. They'd have to take back bad cap to do so.

So not sure how removing Schmaltz and his bad contract and replacing it with an Eichel retention isn't a win? The only negative about the move is taking up a retention spot.

OEL was already on AZ’s books. They had an incentive to move him and got a solid return. Thats a completely different situation then if Arizona had retained on OEL as the 3rd party in a trade of between two other teams.

I agree Schmaltz’s contract is less then ideal. Still, if you’re a rebuilding team like the Coyotes taking on a 5 years of dead untradeable cap and ~$10m in cash payments to get rid of Schmatlz is not the ideal strategy. You’re trying to take on shorter term negative assets to facilitate any moves.

Reactions: nashnaidoo

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
OEL was already on AZ’s books. They had an incentive to move him and got a solid return. Thats a completely different situation then if Arizona had retained on OEL as the 3rd party in a trade of between two other teams.

I agree Schmaltz’s contract is less then ideal. Still, if you’re a rebuilding team like the Coyotes taking on a 5 years of dead untradeable cap and ~$10m in cash payments to get rid of Schmatlz is not the ideal strategy. You’re trying to take on shorter term negative assets to facilitate any moves.
Doesn't Arizona only have one slot left for retention? They might want to hold out for better turn for that space, or keep it in case they ever decide they want to compete.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Kaplan says it's down to Vegas and Calgary and it's at the 1 yard line. Whatever that's worth...

Reactions: DCDM

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Kaplan says it's down to Vegas and Calgary and it's at the 1 yard line. Whatever that's worth...

The entire hockey community at this point:

n08A8NO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad