Rumor: Varlamov won't waive for Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
..and probably said no to most Canadian teams as many players do.

NHL needs to solution their provincial/state tax disparity or get rid of the cap.

Canadian teams make the NHL the most money but bc of higher tax rates, players don't like playing here.

The tax thing needs to be fixed, NHL & NHL PA need to ccome up with something like salary after tax to make it even for all teams since some states have very low tax

The overall hard cap needs to stay its fine imo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is a blow to the Oilers need for a legit starter. Varlamov was one of the more reasonable targets. Now he is off the table.
People aren’t flocking to Edm to play with McDavid. That’s a reality that fans and the team have to realize.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think the way the organization has been run for the last couple decades has a lot to do with it. I'm a life long Leafs fan, and many years ago, it took hiring Ken Dryden as President to turn that around.....his 1st priority was to bring respect back to how things were run and to how players were treated.
I won't argue with that. We hear too many stories of shady dealings, have had too many bad managers in place in the upper offices. Katz needs get his poop in a group and get rid of Nicholson and Holland and find some replacements who have a vision for how to do things moving forward, rather than just a track record of success decades ago.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
I won't argue with that. We hear too many stories of shady dealings, have had too many bad managers in place in the upper offices. Katz needs get his poop in a group and get rid of Nicholson and Holland and find some replacements who have a vision for how to do things moving forward, rather than just a track record of success decades ago.
I like your new coach, but i agree, the "Old Boys" club needs to be fully removed.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
This 100%. Great post.

It’s ironic how so many Canadian teams hire bad GMs and the no-state income tax teams and geographically favourable (sometimes both) hire genius GMs.

I do realize that many US teams have the same tax challenges as the Canadian teams but then ask yourself…
Between Edmonton and New York…
Better weather?
Less travel?
Lifestyle?
Fishbowl effect?
Pressure?

There is a reason no Canadian team has won a Cup in 30 years.
Years of poor drafting, trades and intense fan/media landscape not being part of it?

Also idk every single teams management going back years, but does it seem Canadian franchises (and maybe older ones generally) have been more prone to Old Boys Club hiring? Maybe some common factor of their owners going back years? I feel like there could be a number of reasons beyond tax

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
A way to fight that would be to don't count the taxes against the contract given?
Like, 10.5M/y for Price would be in reality 13M or 14M but they don't count it?

Honestly I also don't think it tells all the story here.
There's probably an appeal to play in either Mtl or Toronto for some players; yes, those are tough markets (Montreal is especially BRUTAL) but if you're good, you become a public figure instantly. Carey Price is quite litteraly a demi-god in Montreal and it's probably the same with Matthews in Toronto. Also, they are great city to live in. Lots of stuff to see, to visit and to do. Same goes to Vancouver.
The other canadian cities doesn't have the same appeal I'd say and in Ottawa's case, Melnyk is a cheap bastard and I would never play there too, if I were a player

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
A lot of Provinces have already dropped mandates....Ontario has already dropped capacity limits and are dropping the mask mandate on March 21st (Except Hospitals/retirement homes).

Probably not too much of a factor, but players have to know that if restrictions do come back for some reason they're going to be stricter in Canada.

So much speculation here. He just doesn't want to play there for whatever reason. That's why they sign NMC for. Teams shouldn't give them away like candies

This.

While it would seem to be a good career move for Varlamov to take over as the #1 in Edmonton, there are plenty of reasons as to why he could've chosen not to waive his NTC to play there, many of which may have had nothing negative to do with Edmonton.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Years of poor drafting, trades and intense fan/media landscape not being part of it?

Also idk every single teams management going back years, but does it seem Canadian franchises (and maybe older ones generally) have been more prone to Old Boys Club hiring? Maybe some common factor of their owners going back years? I feel like there could be a number of reasons beyond tax

I agree, the mismanagement of the Oilers has significantly affected the Oilers outside of the other factors I stated.

I mean almost everyone (including knowledgeable Oiler fans) was confused about…
  1. 16 + 33 for Reinhart,
  2. Koskinen @ $4.5 per,
  3. Lucic for top dollar/term/NMC,
  4. Hall for Larsson straight up… I wouldn’t have expected much more, maybe + 1st (top 10 protected)
  5. Athanasiou for two 2nds (then letting him walk),
  6. Keith trade without retention
  7. Smith for anything more than a one year filler.
  8. Barrie for anything more than 2 years
Oilers drafting was brutal for about 20 years but has been much better of late.

Mar 26, 2010
Can you blame him. No one wants to play in Edmonton.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Canadian fans are more toxic in general, you can get that flavor simply by reading this website. They don't get sad after a loss, they want blood. That is not a virtue. Coupled with higher taxes and lower quality of life, why would a player with any control choose to go north? Answer: they usually don't.
What is this? Lower quality of life? according to what standards? Canada has higher taxes, higher cost of living and higher real estate prices but other than that, Canada scores higher in all other quality of life metrics. Canada scores higher in literacy rate, math comprehension rate, higher life expectancy rate, better health care, lower in infant mortality rate, lower in obesity rates, lower crime rate (in 2020 there was a total of 743 murders in Canada - Chicago alone had 770 the same year), lower incarceration rate.

So if your idea of a good quality of life is ordering something off the fast food menu that you couldn't read, devouring 6 cheese burgers (you ordered 5 but the person behind the counter couldn't count) right before you get shot - then I agree Canada is not the place for you.

Reactions: TFHockey and Huffer

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
..and probably said no to most Canadian teams as many players do.

NHL needs to solution their provincial/state tax disparity or get rid of the cap.

Canadian teams make the NHL the most money but bc of higher tax rates, players don't like playing here.

All players could be paid via NHL headquarters (NYC) somehow. Tax rates would all be the same that way. IDK how feasible it is, but it's an idea.

Reactions: Macheteops

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Why can't the reason he doesn't want to go to Edmonton be that they're not very good?

They're right on the bubble, currently not a playoff team. They're extremely top heavy, they haven't a very impressive or deep defense corps. Why wouldn't these factors be compelling for a goaltender all on their own? They aren't a contender and they leave their goalies out to dry. That's enough.

On the other side, the Russian community in the NY area is often a real draw for Russian NHL players. He may not want to leave, period.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Can you blame him. No one wants to play in Edmonton.

That's overblown.

Russians tend to not want to play in Canada period. The higher paid ones tend to like the big US cities like LA, Miami/Tampa (Florida), New York, Chicago, Washington, etc. There's large Russian populations in those cities and making it there is a sign that you've "made it", plus Russian wifey + visits from grandparents + other family also tend to like those cities.

Swedes like the Pacific Northwest or California (Vancouver, Seattle) it seems.

B.C. boys seem to love Edmonton like crazy, Justin Schultz chose Edmonton over Anaheim and Vancouver and other suitors, Lucic chose Edmonton over Vancouver and other destinations, Kane signed with Edmonton, RNH signed long term with Edmonton, Barrie signed with Edmonton over Vancouver.

Czech players seem to be OK with Edmonton (Hemsky, Sekera, etc.).

Ontario guys tend to be OK with any where in Canada but for cheap will sign in Toronto. Hyman was one of the top free agents last summer and signed in Edmonton for example.

American players tend to prefer (well) America, but there are a handful of exceptions.

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I dont think this is completely true for Canadian teams to be honest. Canadian teams could be contenders and they are still going to be on the vast majority of players no trade list.

I mean theres some exceptions. Some players probably like Vancouver climate/lifestyle. Some probably want to be at home in Toronto/Montreal. But for the vast majority of players, they have Canadian teams on their list regardless if they are good or not.
Tough to make a call on this - what are the last few Canadian teams that were good enough to be considered at, or near contender status for an extended time?

I can only think of a few examples where Canadian teams strung together 3 seasons where they would be considered at that level.
1. ) Toronto recently - Very little salary cap wiggle room since they became good. Tavares and Spezza signed under market price. Most big signings have been traded for and re-signed.
2.) Winnipeg recently - Talent retention issues for sure - a few high profile players forced their way out.
3.) Vancouver 2009-2012 - No real issues obtaining talent.
4.) Ottawa at/around original lockout - Lost some talent due to salary cap constraints, but can't remember talent issues aside from Heatley eventually pressing for a trade.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers have signed

Hyman (top UFA in his class)
Kane
Schultz
Lucic (regressed now but that summer was a top UFA also)
Sekera
Barrie

As UFAs basically the last few years. Is Vancouver or Toronto really signing a ton more players than that?

Holland is just stupid. He went cheap on goaltending in Detroit and loves to gamble on ancient players (also his MO in Detroit).

Varlamov is hardly the only goalie available, Holland just doesn't like to spend in net.

Reactions: TFHockey

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
What is this? Lower quality of life? according to what standards? Canada has higher taxes, higher cost of living and higher real estate prices but other than that, Canada scores higher in all other quality of life metrics. Canada scores higher in literacy rate, math comprehension rate, higher life expectancy rate, better health care, lower in infant mortality rate, lower in obesity rates, lower crime rate (in 2020 there was a total of 743 murders in Canada - Chicago alone had 770 the same year), lower incarceration rate.

So if your idea of a good quality of life is ordering something off the fast food menu that you couldn't read, devouring 6 cheese burgers (you ordered 5 but the person behind the counter couldn't count) right before you get shot - then I agree Canada is not the place for you.
I have no doubt that the US is a better place to live for young multi-millionaires. Definitely more of a millionaires' playground than Canada and people with enough money are insulated from a societies ills.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
I have no doubt that the US is a better place to live for young multi-millionaires. Definitely more of a millionaires' playground than Canada and people with enough money are insulated from a societies ills.

Absolutely true, not even close. The numbers don't lie.

Reactions: TML1990

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad