Rumor: Varlamov won't waive for Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They have no problem going to NYC or LA... There are many other things than taxes at play here, fans and media seems to be a significant amount of it (like it or it).

Exactly. Taxes aren't actually a factor at all. These guys are making millions of dollars and without question have hired accountants that no how to utilize that money the best they can so that the players pay as little tax as possible.

The real factor here is likely Covid and the restrictions in place in Canads compared to the US still, the fact Edmonton is shitty team for a goalie, and the fact Edmonton is f***ing freezing cold in the winter and a pretty shit city in general. Especially compared to New York.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
It's very hard to predict, but it seems unlikely to me that Varlamov gets traded. His salary next year is a problem for the Avs, and retention (or taking back salary for 2022-2023) doesn't make any sense from NYI's point of view. I never thought it likely he would waive for EDM.

Salary retention won't be a problem. If the replacement is signed for $3 million and we retain $2 million for Colorado, and add a clause on winning the Cup and which draft pick it morphs into, then there's no new net increase in cap for the Isles.

The question is how much does Colorado want to risk for a Cup? Justin Barron and a 2024 2nd that becomes a 1st if the Avalanche win the Cup in either 2022 or 2023 with $2 million retained? Or we could also take Francouz and $1 million retained if you prefer it that way.

Barron, Francouz, the 2024 conditional pick for Varlamov at $4 million

or

Barron, 2024 conditional pick for Varlamov at $3 million

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Exactly. Taxes aren't actually a factor at all. These guys are making millions of dollars and without question have hired accountants that no how to utilize that money the best they can so that the players pay as little tax as possible.

The real factor here is likely Covid and the restrictions in place in Canads compared to the US still, the fact Edmonton is shitty team for a goalie, and the fact Edmonton is f***ing freezing cold in the winter and a pretty shit city in general. Especially compared to New York.

Edit: nevermind, not worth replying to.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I doubt that. People specifically don't want to go to Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa. Players waive for Vancouver all the time, and none of Toronto, Calgary, or Montreal have had difficulty signing free agents.

And I bet that Edmonton, Alberta has a lower overall tax burden than Nassau County, New York.

Kadri nixed a trade to the flames.

not going to argue with Toronto or Vancouver though

Reactions: dukeofjive

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
..and probably said no to most Canadian teams as many players do.

NHL needs to solution their provincial/state tax disparity or get rid of the cap.

Canadian teams make the NHL the most money but bc of higher tax rates, players don't like playing here.
Media here in Canada is disgusting too.

I understand why a lot of players, canadians included, don't want to play in canada.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
That sucks for the oilers but sucks even more for the Isles. That was probably their best shot at getting rid of him, and probably could have fleeced a desperate Holland too. Now they probably have to keep him.

Reactions: dukeofjive

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

NHL needs to solution their provincial/state tax disparity or get rid of the cap.

Canadian teams make the NHL the most money but bc of higher tax rates, players don't like playing here.

I wouldn't removing NTC or NMC clauses entirely. OR make them full and unwaivable. So they aren't given out like freaking candy.

Lack of taxation and anonymity are the two big reasons for not playing in Canada. Overcoming the tax burden is easy. Shift the cap to a net earnings, post tax, system. What a player makes in Dallas they make in Montreal. Overcoming the desire to play in obscurity is much harder. Honestly though, from a team perspective, you know the player's true motivation at that point.

As far as NTC/NMC go, I agree. They're given out like candy. I wonder if limiting the number a team can have on their roster at any one time might be a creative way to curb them. One forward, one defender, one goalie. That said, if these clauses are largely used to avoid high tax markets, a post-tax salary cap likely means a reduction.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't waive to go to Edmonton either tbh. - Oiler fan disgusted at how mismanaged we've been for the last two decades

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006

The simple fix has always been there.

make the after-tax salary count towards the cap, not the before-tax. That way a 5m contract is a 5m contract everywhere

sure, then the Canadian teams will incur more expenses than American ones if they spend to the cap…but I think Toronto, Montreal and such can afford it. It puts them on an even playing field

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Its hard to be win as a Team in Canada, when the GM only has access to 25% of the available players that an American GM does.

Players will go anywhere if they think the team is good and can win. Detroit isn't a top destination nor does it have the tax breaks some other teams get but from like the mid 90's to 2010 everyone wanted to play for them. All this really suggests is (some) NHL players still view the Oilers as a gong show

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Taxes could be a factor, but not the only factor. Those accountants that these players have also know enough to show the players the bottom line if they move to a different location and don't have to mess around to find tax loopholes. It makes a difference.

But you're right, factors like COVID, being cold, the reputation of the city, and honestly, being an organization that has publicly thrown their goalies under the bus a number of times doesn't help, even if it was true when it happened.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The simple fix has always been there.

make the after-tax salary count towards the cap, not the before-tax. That way a 5m contract is a 5m contract everywhere

sure, then the Canadian teams will incur more expenses than American ones if they spend to the cap…but I think Toronto, Montreal and such can afford it. It puts them on an even playing field
are we doing cost of living adjustments as well because this is going to be complicated.

Reactions: HBK27 and common12

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
LOL poor Edmonton..

The thing is Varly thrives in games where he gets a ton of shots, so he'd probably work out well there. Unfortunately nobody wants to play there.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022

A lot of Provinces have already dropped mandates....Ontario has already dropped capacity limits and are dropping the mask mandate on March 21st (Except Hospitals/retirement homes).

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Players will go anywhere if they think the team is good and can win. Detroit isn't a top destination nor does it have the tax breaks some other teams get but from like the mid 90's to 2010 everyone wanted to play for them. All this really suggests is (some) NHL players still view the Oilers as a gong show

I dont think this is completely true for Canadian teams to be honest. Canadian teams could be contenders and they are still going to be on the vast majority of players no trade list.

I mean theres some exceptions. Some players probably like Vancouver climate/lifestyle. Some probably want to be at home in Toronto/Montreal. But for the vast majority of players, they have Canadian teams on their list regardless if they are good or not.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
And the other 9 teams on his no trade list as well i assume?

Why? The Oilers are the ones who badly need a goaltender and went out of their way not to get one last summer. Now they're f***ed and looking at another season without playoffs after 7 years of McDavid. This whole thing is absurd.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
So much speculation here. He just doesn't want to play there for whatever reason. That's why they sign NMC for. Teams shouldn't give them away like candies

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Taxes could be a factor, but not the only factor. Those accountants that these players have also know enough to show the players the bottom line if they move to a different location and don't have to mess around to find tax loopholes. It makes a difference.

But you're right, factors like COVID, being cold, the reputation of the city, and honestly, being an organization that has publicly thrown their goalies under the bus a number of times doesn't help, even if it was true when it happened.
I think the way the organization has been run for the last couple decades has a lot to do with it. I'm a life long Leafs fan, and many years ago, it took hiring Ken Dryden as President to turn that around.....his 1st priority was to bring respect back to how things were run and to how players were treated.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Why? The Oilers are the ones who badly need a goaltender and went out of their way not to get one last summer. Now they're f***ed and looking at another season without playoffs after 7 years of McDavid. This whole thing is absurd.
You do realize that they went hard after Markstrom....as well as others....right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad